• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a couple issues with the new motor if anybody cares to chime in. Gets 8 out of 10 hot at freeway speeds, I have a 620 clutchfan and water pump with a 521 rad. I stopped at the tire shop to have my BFGs attended to and ended up showing off the motor to the service kid, the carbs where dripping gas out the horns. pretty noticible oil weep around front cover. 

Aluminum 3 core rad?

carb jetting?

can of  GumUpYourEngine shit to plug the weeps?

Where is your timing at?

Fix the dripping carbs. Too much fuel pressure or floats set wrong. Do you have a return line? This would remove any fuel pressure once the engine is shut off.

Advanced and rich will run the coolest. Retarded or lean will run hotter.

Do you have a vacuum advance fitting on the carbs??? or are you just running manifold vacuum???

it's a tank of 87 with two cans of BigLots octane boost. I am trying to burn off the full tank I had right before I pulled the motor. Then I'll run CA 91.

I think I have vacuum advance fittings but I have read it wont be enough of a signal to be useful. So I just plugged the vacuum advance. no fuel return and it's the stock mechanical fuel pump which I thought was perfect for Mikunis.

Flys like chickens too.  I had to get rid of mine.  I think horses are about the least annoying large animal they could have gotten, if you are looking for a bright side.  Goats, sheep, pigs, donkeys, mules, all far more annoying.  

Unless they have a herd of them ,, now i'm not sure how many are actually over there at any one time , as i keep a 30 foot brush barrier between us and them .. But we have a 61 foot house, and from satellite view their horse trailer and tow vehicle are about the same length.

They were here many years before we moved here in 89-90

And as for goats and what-not,, my son FAT510 used to shovel stalls for extra money and they feed their pet llamas ,,, inside the house,,,,,,, no shit,,,,,,, inside the fuckin house.

it's a tank of 87 with two cans of BigLots octane boost. I am trying to burn off the full tank I had right before I pulled the motor. Then I'll run CA 91.

I think I have vacuum advance fittings but I have read it wont be enough of a signal to be useful. So I just plugged the vacuum advance. no fuel return and it's the stock mechanical fuel pump which I thought was perfect for Mikunis.

Run the best gas you can afford and set the timing accordingly. Just below pinging. Get used to it and thewn try an octane boost and adjust your timing again. Now decide is or was the boost worth the bother. Only way to be sure.

Try manifold vacuum and adjust the initial timing so it doesn't ping. Vacuum advance has no effect on full throttle but a lot on part throttle. Makes the car easier to drive and brings the mileage way up.