Safety checks

So Hawai'i is one of those states that require a current safety check to renew your registration.  Sucks, but it surely has it's good points as well.  

Recently there is a new procedure for mechanics wishing to issue said inspections.  Including a pictures of the vehicle.  One of which is the tire/fender clearance.  Now tons of folks are in a terrible position where they cant get safety inspections to keep their trucks current.  

End result:  Stock wheels are a hot ticket item, and lifted trucks a plenty are going up for sale here.  funny.  

Point:  If you don't need to get safety checks in your state, be grateful.    

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule number one in the State I live in here is always try and keep stock equipment for your car when you modify it.

I have a pile of standard wheels, steering wheels, seats, seatbelts, exhaust systems, brakes, struts, air cleaners (and standard carbies with all the pollution crap) etc that I keep just in case.

Only ever have been unlucky with the Goon once, and all I had to/did change for the roadworthy inspection was the drivers seat, wheels (I had to put 13" mags on instead of the 15") steering wheel and the air cleaner on the twin SU's.

Steel wool in the exhaust system got it quiet enough to pass rego :thumbup: , and thankfully they didnt ping me on the 2 litre motor, non standard brakes and a few other subtle enhancements.

Plan ahead, change in anticipation of big brother, then get on with the real world!  But seriously, 13 inch wheels fail but 15 inch wheels pass?  Must be carbon expelled versus miles/ kilometers driven issue.

Maybe i'm typing in Australian English again.

15" wheels for my Goon failed, however they were happy to pass it with the 13" (mag) wheels.

We have this awfully complicated formula the Inspectors apply which says your wheels can be xxx% bigger rolling diameter and yyy% wider than the OEM items.

Rule of thumb is, if the cars OEM items were 13", you can put up to 14" wheels on etc.

• Like 1

Maybe i'm typing in Australian English again.

15" wheels for my Goon failed, however they were happy to pass it with the 13" (mag) wheels.

We have this awfully complicated formula the Inspectors apply which says your wheels can be xxx% bigger rolling diameter and yyy% wider than the OEM items.

Rule of thumb is, if the cars OEM items were 13", you can put up to 14" wheels on etc.

this seems nuts but its the law 

That's arguable. Rim size doesn't really matter. A 185/75R13 and a 175/65R15 are only 0.03" different in height and 0.39" width difference. How can they argue with this?

You tell them I'm coming over there to give them the Canadian 'Boot'

• Like 1

I just got Safety for two cars here in Hawaii. They check the tire tread, including photos of tread. They use a portable machine to check headlight alignment. They use a tablet app to process the details. He also had a light meter for checking tinted windows.

On the second car, I fixed leaking valve cover gaskets then took it in. He asked me to pressure-wash all the oil off the engine and suspension before it would pass (it was still smoking from all the excess oil).

All in all it was a quick, easy process and only $20 per car.

Steel wool in the exhaust system got it quiet enough to pass rego :thumbup: , and thankfully they didnt ping me on the 2 litre motor, non standard brakes and a few other subtle enhancements.

Gov't regulations < common sense

gotta love the government... even modifications that make the car safer or cleaner are not allowed ... upgraded brakes are a good thing!

I just got Safety for two cars here in Hawaii.

On the second car, I fixed leaking valve cover gaskets then took it in. He asked me to pressure-wash all the oil off the engine and suspension before it would pass (it was still smoking from all the excess oil).

All in all it was a quick, easy process and only $20 per car.

Good Lord!  A Government employee with good sense.  Can I hire him or her to relocate to California?  The climate is good and we really do have a banana farmer market grower North of San Diego.

What's a recon sticker?? Never heard that before.

Its short for reconstruction vehicle.So if you raise or lower your car or truck and it does not meet certain criteria you dont pass,if you ever get pulled over by the cops you will be citied,also in Hawaii you get a moving violation your screwed there is no traffic school you fight the ticket in court if you lose your insurance will go up.

Weird? Glad I don't have to deal with that, some of our 'laws' are retarded but not at that level.

Its short for reconstruction vehicle.So if you raise or lower your car or truck and it does not meet certain criteria you dont pass,if you ever get pulled over by the cops you will be citied,also in Hawaii you get a moving violation your screwed there is no traffic school you fight the ticket in court if you lose your insurance will go up.

So, if you have a recon tag does that mean it's a custom vehicle and can be lowered?

Its a Catch 22 though, here in GA we don't have yearly inspections. Which is nice because we can lower and upgrade all day without much hassel from the cops. The problem lies behind bubba jones's trailer where his cousin just got a new flux core 110 welder from the harbor freight and their gonna lift the family silverado. Sketch ass lifted trucks are a dime a dozen down here.