What truck shall I get..

tr8er

So, I need a truck.  I've got my 510goon, E320 wagon, and my girls trike.  It is needed as an occasional commuter, as well as a beater hauler.  Not towing boats, but going off road regularly.  Fuel economy and reliability are key. I'm liking the late 90's Hardbodies.  I like 720's but they are harder to find with back seats (needed), and really this is not a project for me.  I would love a 620, but I would spend entirely too much time on it, and I'd rather keep on my goon full time.  I may sell this truck as soon as the goon is complete, and I may keep it if it proves worthy.  

I'm looking to spend $5000, but not set in stone.  

Must be ex cab, or crew cab for car seats in emergencies.

Must be reliable.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on Nissan Hardbodies, Tacoma's, Sierras, and an other truck you think I might look at in the $5000 range mid to late 90's 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, and I hate saying this, but an S10 would be a good chioce.

1.Relable

2.Cheap: both to buy and fix

3.Economical (ranging around 25mpg's)

4.Any monkey with a wrench can fix it

5. if ya beat the piss out of it, it won't matter to much, cause it is a Chevy, and parts are a dime a dozen.

6.BAD ASS MINI-TRUCK (that is if you decide to keep it, bag it, build it for like 5K, and then sell it for 7-8K)

7. it may only be a "Half-ton" but those things will haul a good amount, including people if you get the right model

If i was to buy a 90's mini, it would have to be either that or a hardbody... or a Yota....

anyway, that's my input

• Like 1

My friend owns a auto wrecking yard. Number one vehicles that are in there, Ford Taurus and the Chevy S10.  Worst truck ever. 

Five thousand and needs to be 4x4. '86+ Toyota 4x4.  First year of independant front suspension. (I know, I know, Everybody wants straight axle)  but better for everyday type of driving. Plus less chance of getting stolen, Well thats around my parts.. Older straight axles Toys are the number one stolen vehicle here.  Nissan HB a good choice too

• Like 1

Just sold my wife's '97 S10 2.2 4cyl, extra cab, 5spd. Sold fast at $2700 always ran fine.

I have hated it for 10 years. It just felt like a Gutless POS from day 1

Her dad has a '97 V6 S10 and loves it but his car history...

Ford tempo 4wd

Opel Kadet (not a good one)

Buick LeSabre (LeSex tank)

Etc...

The only car he ever told me about tht I halfway approved of was a '71 VW Squareback. And even that car is kind of a POS.

Bad car taste runs In the family I guess. Fortunately my wife doesn't like my cars ;)

Actually, the 4.3 V6 later S10s weren't bad, except for the door hinges always cracking and/or breaking pins.  The old delivery trucks at NAPA were late 90s and they didn't have that many issues.  Reliably got 20 mpg most of the time.  2wd of course.  I still hate them because they are such a shit truck, but the overall function is definitely usable.  

Its seems there is some Toyota hate on here... I guess it is a nissan forum.... love my 01 Tacoma. The only problem youll have with the Tacomas is they hold their value- Good when you want to sell... not when you want to buy.

Ive got an 01 Xtra Cab- so it has the rear jump seats and they are small. I doubt you could get a car seat in there and have someone in the front seat, but you can turn the passenger airbag off so you could put one in the front seat. Ive got the 3.4 V6 in it and its  not an outrageously powerful beast but matted with the Manual transmision its not bad. Hauled my 510 on a uhaul trailer- 4000+lbs total from Baltimore to CT with no problem once I got it moving. Did 70 the whole way and got 15mpg. Usually average around 18 "around" town but i do have the 4x4 might do a little better with the 4x2.

Great truck... probably a bit more then your looking to spend though, I still see these things going for 8-10k with 150,000 on them.

Can't go wrong with a Toyota. No complaints with my 03 Tacoma.  The 22RE motors are hard to kill. Maybe consider an older 4Runner with removable top.  Turns into a pickup truck or can be an SUV with the top on and seats in for the family.  Those have the 22RE and V6 if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

I don't take issue with Toyota.  My first car was a Corona.  Hate the beer, love the car.  But 15-18mpg. sucks.  This is the only thing I don't like about Toyotas.  Anyone want to tell me personal experience with Hardbodies fuel economy?  The 4 cylinder.  

Thats the kicker on them... for a 3.4L v6 the mpgs are pretty harsh.... but if driven respectfully and mostly on the highway 20mpg can be seen. the 4cyl might be better, but they are lacking in the power department if you want to tow. I can tell you after towing with my 3.4L manual trans, I cant imagine towing a car with less power and an automatic trans...  the grunt just helps it get going.

I say hardbody.  we had a 93 hardbody v6 that ran like a champ with zero issues at 210k.  2nd choice is a Toyota with 22re with ifs for daily driving.

rangers are iffy.  Hubs go out on the daily.  wasn't fond of the 2.9 in my uncles but the 4.0L wasn't bad.

don't know much about s10s.  they look like a hit or miss.

same with Dakotas.  I know a lot of people like the small v8 they got

In all  STAY FOREIGN