'70 510 Project, aka Kenny (was: my last 510)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Other two Watanabes showed up today, as well as my new air dam from FutoFab!!!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

10003913_10152183691057983_8525625494640

It's patterned after the old school "Dobi" air dam, but actually fits waaay better...    :thumbup:

10373651_10152183691072983_5762970481227

Needs a tiny bit of trimming in the center to flush up, but otherwise should work very nicely.  B)

My old blue 4dr had this style air dam (OG Dobi piece), but it was destroyed when that car was in a wreck after I sold it. Luckily I saved the rubber skirt from it though, since those are NLA. You can only get the fiberglass part now.   :crying:

What it looked like...

Picture_112s.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Minor set back today that has me bummed...  :sleep:

I wanted to use the Holley carb and a mechanical dizzy on the VG33E for simplicity and because it looks cool. But the dizzy I have is not going to work...

Now debating whether to throw more money at the ignition or just give up and go EFI...

Not cheap but unless you have one of the Saudi dizzys this is your best bet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171251373362

I don't think I'm ready to throw that much money at it, but maybe...    :rofl:

I had found a Ford dizzy that is damn near a bolt-in. Looks great too. Only problem is, looking at it today I realized it's made to spin clockwise. The VG dizzy spins counter-clockwise. That means the advance mechanism won't work. It may actually retard timing when you rev it up. So...

It took me many years to get a Saudi dizzy. Not many other options out there.

That new one looks so nice. And the engine bay will look extra clean without all the extra wiring from the fuel injection too.

Go for it John. It will be badass and the sounds of the carb' d VG are sweet.

It's easy for me to spend Your Money. :P

It took me many years to get a Saudi dizzy. Not many other options out there.

I have a good friend working in the Middle East who thinks he can get me one. We shall see. If not...

That new one looks so nice. And the engine bay will look extra clean without all the extra wiring from the fuel injection too.

Yeah, but I'm of two minds on that one. It's cool that the ignition module and coil are all inside the unit, but that does make it kinda big/bulky? I guess the price is decent for what it is, assuming they used all quality ignition parts and not just cheap Chinese junk. 

I do find it odd the charge $450 for the Nissan unit, while the nearly identical Ford 6cyl unit is $275...    :rofl:

Side note, did tinker a bit with an L28E distributor, and it looks like if we machined a spacer to take up the slack that it could work... 

VG dizzy:

3158642-bot.jpg

L28E distributor:

31618-bot.jpg

Depth of bottom end is comparable, and the VG gear could be put onto L28 shaft. The only real problem is that the area just above the gear is about 3mm larger on the VG. So you'd need a "sleeve" to go around the L28 dizzy to take up the slack. 

I made this same kind of sleeve a long time ago to use an L20b dizzy in an SR20DE and it worked just fine, so...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why am I just today finding out about this thread?

Or did you tell me about it when I wasn't listening?  That seems likely.

Maybe you were too busy thinking of ways on how to rage quit your 210 build?

• Like 1

Had to move it from my house to the shop for some work I couldn't do at home, so hopefully that'll happen soon...

10525917_10152330007677983_6116838469841

The high life... :poke:

I just got finished reading this and it looks like a fun build. That blue 4dr is amazing! I'm partial to the duck bill type splitters but your choice looks good in that color.

So I have a question about the build that I'm kinda lost on. My VG will be EFI if we ever use it because it has the stock supercharger (VG33ER), but I love the sound of the carbed VGs. For my own understanding, couldn't you use the conventional style trigger wheels that are made for the VG and come up with a coil pack or coil on plug setup to control spark? It would require more wiring (aka more headaches) but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I found one of those wheels recently and thought it would be an option if I ever went carbed.

So I have a question about the build that I'm kinda lost on. My VG will be EFI if we ever use it because it has the stock supercharger (VG33ER), but I love the sound of the carbed VGs. For my own understanding, couldn't you use the conventional style trigger wheels that are made for the VG and come up with a coil pack or coil on plug setup to control spark? It would require more wiring (aka more headaches) but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I found one of those wheels recently and thought it would be an option if I ever went carbed.

It would seem so yes... but without some sort of ECU you would have no advance or retard.  That is basically what we have already with the "converted" VG dizzy. It apparently worked for the dude who built it, but he left lots of torque and mileage on the table.

I suppose one could fix up some sort of mechanical advance mechanism on the trigger wheel, and a vacuum advance to scoot the pickup back and forth, and make it work.  But at that point you're kind of reinventing the wheel, aren't you?  

Hmm, interesting.  I might give this a go sometime.  Stupid wheel-shaped wheel always has bugged me.

• Like 2

lol, I like oval wheels, they make the ride moar funner :rofl:

I was just thinking you could use something like Megasquirt2 as a controller. The crank trigger ignition I bought for my B210 uses a form of controller (I think it's the DIY MS1 kit) that can use either vacuum or throttle position for the advance. I haven't installed it, but it's the same one ggzilla did a write up on somewhere around here.

My VG will be EFI if we ever use it because it has the stock supercharger (VG33ER), but I love the sound of the carbed VGs. For my own understanding, couldn't you use the conventional style trigger wheels that are made for the VG and come up with a coil pack or coil on plug setup to control spark? It would require more wiring (aka more headaches) but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

The math has really already been done on that...

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/megajolte/

But the added complexity throws me off. I want the engine bay as clean and simple as I can get it.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

The math has really already been done on that...

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/megajolte/

But the added complexity throws me off. I want the engine bay as clean and simple as I can get it.  :thumbup:

I have a Megajolt set up on my car and if you do it right, it really is pretty simple.  The wiring is pretty minimal, and the added ignition performance over a distributor is noticeable.  Tuning is also super easy.  It can also all be done for around $200-$250.  Sounds like a no brainer to me.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here we go again...    :rofl:

So I was talking to Kilotango (who somehow ended up with the first 510 I was going to build, and subsequently bailed on), and lamenting that I couldn't find a 4dr 510 to build...

After much consternation, I said "hey, wanna sell me back that 510 I said was too rusty to fix?". And he says, "sure". 

So we struck a deal for me to get it back. I figured at the very least I would get really good at welding thin sheetmetal...    :bye:

And then...

I find a '68 4dr roller with perfect floors and rockers.  Only needs the rear quarter bottoms repaired but otherwise rust free.  ^_^

20150415_183650.jpg

So today we finally got a chance to move the rusty one back to my shop from his place in Denton...

20150512_194450.jpg

Since the rusty car is about 98% complete, I'm going to use a ton of parts from it to make the '68 whole again.   :thumbup:

• Like 2