'70 510 Project, aka Kenny (was: my last 510)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote Jerry Garcia, "What a long, strange trip it's been". I stumbled across this 510 at a wrecking yard in Wellington TX. I took this picture when I first saw the car. It had been sitting in the same place for 20 years. The owner of the wrecking yard had a soft spot for 510's and didn't have the heart to send it to the crusher. He hoped someday it would be rescued. 

DSCN1326_zps53ab5685.jpg

I bought it for the engine to put in my 1200 2 Dr. Sedan as a race car. My plans changed on the engine swap and I traded it to Datsunfreak and picked up Dimlight65's white 1200 Coupe to race. DF decided it was too far gone to restore and sold it. I discovered the Chumps racing series, tracked it down and bought it for a race car. DF couldn't find another decent 510 to restore. I had a almost complete rusty 510 I didn't really need, and DF had 1200 parts that I REALLY need. I owned the 510 twice and now DF has owned it twice. In the end, everybody won. Reference 1st sentence.

• 1 month later...

A few minor updates...

Since my shopmate Tim has decided to go rally car with his 1200, we may be putting my L20b into his car instead of the L18 we had planned. Bothers me not, as I would love to put the L18 in my 510 with a worked head and some dual sidedrafts...   B)

And I (sort of) picked up a transmission for it today. We bought a '75 280Z to fix up and sell, and oddly it had a long tail dogleg 5spd in it? Since we had to pull the engine out of it anyway, we decided to swap my spare 280Z 5spd into it, then use the dogleg in the 510. Since my 1200 has a dogleg also, I figured why not...   ^_^

20150706_173126.jpg  20150706_173115.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what it's originally from. Only ever seen one other long tail dogleg. Was told it came from a 710SSS, but that may be baloney...

Need to see if it has any numbers on it. I would like to find out what ratios are in it before I install it. I do see it has a smooth case, where it seems all the Z 5spds have a ribbed case. It's almost like it's the 60-series short tail dog leg that for some reason has a long tail rear case/output shaft on it?

Anyone have any insight? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A poll...

Been giving schemes some thought. Have it down to two definite ways I want to go. One or the other will be done, for sure. Wheels are set, using the 16x8 Watanabe RS-8s on the car. 

Option #1:

Replica/homage of the blue 4dr. It was my favorite 510 so far, and I do miss it. So the Robin's Egg Blue exterior, dark blue interior, wheel centers in dark blue with polished lips. 

Pro: I know I like this combo. To me, since I already know it works on a 510, there will be no doubt how it will look when it's done. 

Con: My old car is still out there. Lurking. So, two in one town? Not sure that would be awesome...

Picture_117s.jpg

Picture_123s1.jpg

Picture_112s.jpg

Option #2:

White (or more likely a slightly off-white like my 1200), with wheel centers in gold and polished lips. Interior would be a dark red (if it's white) or a medium brown (if it's off-white). 

Pro: Never seen it done on a 510, but it looks good on everything I've seen it on. Wats do look good in gold. Bodywork and paint will be a bit easier if it's white.

Con: Never seen it done on a 510, so I won't really know if I dig it until it's done.   :rofl:

khalid_sti1.jpg

khalid_sti5.jpg

khalid_sti7.jpg

So, any opinions? I'm about 76% sure I know which option I want, but curious for a fresh perspective. 

And sorry if I'm retreading old ground here. But I'm about ready to start teardown and parts acquisition, so I want a solid plan in place before moving forward.   :thumbup:

Do the blue. You like it and know it looks good. I doubt your old one is still "in town" but if it is and you run into them you could just kindly say "yeah, I built that one too."

Fuck. I was about 83% on the white/gold. Now that's sinking quickly...   :frantics:

• Like 2

Well, this is why it's time to decide...  :rofl:

A friend needed some parts for his 1200. This friend also does powdercoating. So I offered to trade the parts he needed to redo my wheel centers.  :thumbup:

Got these from Japan as two pairs, one pair in pristine shape (left), one pair a little worse for wear (right)...

20150805_194005.jpg

Most of the damage on the bad pair is peeling paint on the centers and some scratches in the clear coat on the barrels (no real curb rash). Faces will be fixed soon, then I'll sand, polish, and reclear the barrels...   :thumbup:

Getting to this point was not easy...   :rofl:

20150805_203754.jpg

Faces being sent to the powdercoater tomorrow...   :hyper:

20150805_203417.jpg

I guess you'll have to wait and see them finished to know what color combo I picked...   :sweat:

• Like 2

Oddly the '68 engine is missing it's head, but I found the valve cover in the trunk, so...   ^_^

Decided to send it out to be powdercoated to match the wheels...   :thumbup:

I hate the hump in these for the ignition wire separator, so I ground it down to get the metal tab off...

20150806_133655.jpg

Then filed it down flush with the rest of the cover...

20150806_140007.jpg

Powdercoater says he is going to bead blast it anyway, so I just sanded the area where I removed the hump to get it level...   :thumbup:

• Like 3

Pull out the inside breather baffle otherwise the glass bead grit will be a PITA to clean out. 

That's a good idea.    :thumbup:

Too bad it's in a box halfway across the country by now...   :crying:

He's done a lot of these, so hopefully he knows to be extra careful and/or take it out...    :blush:

• Like 1

A poll...

Been giving schemes some thought. Have it down to two definite ways I want to go. One or the other will be done, for sure. Wheels are set, using the 16x8 Watanabe RS-8s on the car. 

Option #1:

Replica/homage of the blue 4dr. It was my favorite 510 so far, and I do miss it. So the Robin's Egg Blue exterior, dark blue interior, wheel centers in dark blue with polished lips. 

Pro: I know I like this combo. To me, since I already know it works on a 510, there will be no doubt how it will look when it's done. 

Con: My old car is still out there. Lurking. So, two in one town? Not sure that would be awesome...

Picture_117s.jpg

Picture_123s1.jpg

Picture_112s.jpg

Option #2:

White (or more likely a slightly off-white like my 1200), with wheel centers in gold and polished lips. Interior would be a dark red (if it's white) or a medium brown (if it's off-white). 

Pro: Never seen it done on a 510, but it looks good on everything I've seen it on. Wats do look good in gold. Bodywork and paint will be a bit easier if it's white.

Con: Never seen it done on a 510, so I won't really know if I dig it until it's done.   :rofl:

khalid_sti1.jpg

khalid_sti5.jpg

khalid_sti7.jpg

Question before I give my thought on your paint

Is there going to be a lot of bondo?

Farmer

So, any opinions? I'm about 76% sure I know which option I want, but curious for a fresh perspective. 

And sorry if I'm retreading old ground here. But I'm about ready to start teardown and parts acquisition, so I want a solid plan in place before moving forward.   :thumbup: