'70 510 Project, aka Kenny (was: my last 510)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Story time...

About 9 years ago I saw this same '68 wagon at a friend's shop. I asked if it was for sale and he said "no way". Then a few years later he calls and says he might sell it. I had no cash at the moment and so I let it sit. A couple of months later, I sold one of my cars and so I asked about it again and he said "well, this guy put a deposit on it and I need to see what he's gonna do".

Well, fast forward another two years and he finally calls me and says "I don't think this guy is buying it, do you want it?". I didn't have much cash at the time so I offered to put a deposit on it and pick it up a month later. He said "that's cool", and since he held it for the other guy for two years I thought I'd be fine. Well, not so much. When I came back to pick it up 4 weeks later he says "Oh, I already sold that car to a guy in Houston".   :sneaky:

So the guy in Houston has it for a little while and ends up putting it up for sale on craigslist with his 710 wagon as a package deal. Again, either it's not for sale and I have cash, or it is for sale and I don't.  :sleep:

Thankfully, a Ratsuner local to me (Lonestar) bought it for a project and brought it back up here to DFW. After starting to dismantle it for paint he decided he wanted something in a little better condition so he put it up on craigslist. We exchanged a few texts, found out I had some parts he needed for his 210 project, struck a deal and now it's finally at my house.   B)

1782047_10152025084272983_375606993_n.jp

Been chasing this damn car for 9 years now, and I will NOT be selling it.    :thumbup:

Good! I'm glad things worked out and because it's John that got it, you all know this shall be epic! Really glad she went to a good home and it staying within the Ratsun family. Between 3 projects, I really had no time or money for this one to get built.

Mmm... Donuts...   ^_^

1888702_10152030634107983_398741759_n.jp

Got four Nissan Versa spares at the junkyard today. Same overall diameter as the stock tire so I can do all my suspension set up with them, and since I don't care how they look I won't want to strangle the painter when he gets overspray on them...   :rofl:

• Like 2

Mmm... Donuts... ^_^

Got four Nissan Versa spares at the junkyard today. Same overall diameter as the stock tire so I can do all my suspension set up with them, and since I don't care how they look I won't want to strangle the painter when he gets overspray on them... :rofl:

Smart. Been there. One time it was me.

Mmm... Donuts...   ^_^

Got four Nissan Versa spares at the junkyard today. Same overall diameter as the stock tire so I can do all my suspension set up with them, and since I don't care how they look I won't want to strangle the painter when he gets overspray on them...   :rofl:

Cool, now I can get my spare tire back for my 210 now! :P

1326707042349.gif

• Like 1

Story time...

About 9 years ago I saw this same '68 wagon at a friend's shop. I asked if it was for sale and he said "no way". Then a few years later he calls and says he might sell it. I had no cash at the moment and so I let it sit. A couple of months later, I sold one of my cars and so I asked about it again and he said "well, this guy put a deposit on it and I need to see what he's gonna do".

Well, fast forward another two years and he finally calls me and says "I don't think this guy is buying it, do you want it?". I didn't have much cash at the time so I offered to put a deposit on it and pick it up a month later. He said "that's cool", and since he held it for the other guy for two years I thought I'd be fine. Well, not so much. When I came back to pick it up 4 weeks later he says "Oh, I already sold that car to a guy in Houston".   :sneaky:

So the guy in Houston has it for a little while and ends up putting it up for sale on craigslist with his 710 wagon as a package deal. Again, either it's not for sale and I have cash, or it is for sale and I don't.  :sleep:

Thankfully, a Ratsuner local to me (Lonestar) bought it for a project and brought it back up here to DFW. After starting to dismantle it for paint he decided he wanted something in a little better condition so he put it up on craigslist. We exchanged a few texts, found out I had some parts he needed for his 210 project, struck a deal and now it's finally at my house.   B)

1782047_10152025084272983_375606993_n.jp

Been chasing this damn car for 9 years now, and I will NOT be selling it.    :thumbup:

Wow, awesome back-story on this. Glad you not only ended up with it, but with the one I was afraid would go to the scales. Bravo!

• Like 2

Wow, awesome back-story on this. Glad you not only ended up with it, but with the one I was afraid would go to the scales. Bravo!

I wouldn't of let that happen. I would just keep it in storage before I allow a good car like this one to go to the crusher.
  • Like 1

You going to IRS the goon? Hopefully something off the sedan will survive.

Definitely. The sedan IRS will find it's way into the wagon very soon. Lots of its parts will find their way into the wagon in fact.   B)

I think yes to VG33! Carb'd or injected?

Carb'd most likely. Already have most of the parts to do it, just need a flywheel and transmission. And I want the engine bay to be really clean, and to me EFI isn't really "clean" with all that wiring...

• Like 1

And don't give it a second thought. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.   B)

The parts it will yield for the wagon project are definitely worth what I paid for the car.   :thumbup:

Awesome! I want to help put the IRS in the goon. My buddy Phil that has the aircraft repair station had a 510 goon when he was a young man and is also interested in the project. Phil always wanted a wagon with the IRS.

Tried to find the paint code...

Not here...

1970650_10152036195422983_766955319_n.jp

Okay, maybe it's stamped in the firewall like the later cars?

1618649_10152036195472983_1790421715_n.j

Or the other side?

1920622_10152036195477983_746007693_n.jp

Guess not...   :rofl:

Also got some extra 300ZX valve covers since the ones on the VG33E are dented...   :thumbup:

1959315_10152036104067983_2023963145_n.j

Wow, brighter than I expected, but still looks really good. The Sedan in that color with black/polished rim Rota wheels and all chrome black powder coated except the center part of the grille would look killer. Damn, now I have to rethink the paint. Maybe pearl ghost flames too. But if you do your goon in that color I'll find another.

But if you do your goon in that color I'll find another.

Not a chance. Just goofing around here. My color is set, and this ain't it. Far from it in fact.    B)

I'd love to see you paint a 1200 this color. Not far off Tim's old paint job...

82.JPG

But Tim's will be purple when finished so no worries there either...   :rofl:

• Like 1

E mail me a couple more pictures of the Chickenhawk. I really like the vibe. It has a rather sinister look.

Sadly, I don't have very many. Just that one and these two...

81.JPG

79.JPG

It's been off the road for almost 10 years now awaiting a rebuild.... 

• Like 1