Model Car Thread

31 minutes ago, Jesse C. said:

As far as Trumpeter, they make crap, at least their car kits

Well, I like this one at least...  😄

It was just an example of this...

31 minutes ago, Jesse C. said:

New companies like Mobius have come in and started making some really nice stuff, that is on par with most Asian kit makers. Designed in the U.S. and molded overseas to keep cost down. 

... not a tacit endorsement of their specific products. 👍

But that Nova kit is dope, though. Been collecting early Nova kits for a long time and it is the best one I have found so far. Which may not be saying a ton...

TRP00002503_8_l.jpg

TRP00002503_1_l.jpg

TRP00002503_7_l.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

But that Nova kit is dope, though. Been collecting early Nova kits for a long time and it is the best one I have found so far. Which may not be saying a ton...

TRP00002503_8_l.jpg

TRP00002503_1_l.jpg

TRP00002503_7_l.jpg

The Trumpeter kits have a few issues and they are way to pricey for what they are. The new Moebius kit is far superior in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Brings a new meaning to mini truck.

So, I bought this reissued AMT 50’s Ford F100 complete with race car trailer and tool set, and it was so bad I threw it back in the box and put it away. So much embedded mold release in the parts that I can’t stop the fisheyes in the paint. Tried everything.

Edited by mainer311
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Brings a new meaning to mini truck.

So, I bought this reissued AMT 50’s Ford F100 complete with race car trailer and tool set, and it was so bad I threw it back in the box and put it away. So much embedded mold release in the parts that I can’t stop the fisheyes in the paint. Tried everything.

I'm not sure if it's mold release, it seems like Round 2 is just using shit plastic. My old standby of Duplicolor primer will peel clean off. I've since switched over to the Rust-Oleum automotive filler primer and that will actually bite onto the plastic. Seems like Round 2 is more interested in marketing kits to collectors rather than builders. Just take a look at how much Coca Cola branded shit they have in the market, for example. 

What’s weird is, Tamiya primer, which is pretty “hot,” will lay down fine. And then every time I lay down a base coat, the color AND the primer fish eye right down to bare plastic. I wet sanded with soap, wiped with isopropyl, etc. It comes right back.

The problem I was having was... Primer laid down fine, color laid down fine, but whenever I would peel off foil or masking tape it would lift off the paint with it. And that was after the usual wash and, later, a round of 600 grit sandpaper. 

On 3/25/2023 at 7:59 PM, mainer311 said:

What’s weird is, Tamiya primer, which is pretty “hot,” will lay down fine. And then every time I lay down a base coat, the color AND the primer fish eye right down to bare plastic. I wet sanded with soap, wiped with isopropyl, etc. It comes right back.

I have had good success with an overnight bath (and toothbrush scrub) in Simple Green to get it off. YMMV

This didn't have mold release but it did have a crushed bug carcass on the driver's side door. With the cab still bagged. So this definitely got a pre paint cleaning. Now crushed bugs are the least of it's problems. 

(AMT 1980 Dodge D50)

FB_IMG_1680051189154.jpg.9a883f5ed3a0adf194faee2958f0e3cd.jpg

• Like 7
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

received_892189272331382.thumb.jpeg.4704aa8905196fb8558a4d4e7c99ff87.jpeg

Bought a 2004 Lincoln Town Car last week because I've wanted one forever. After the typical fresh purchase stuff (mainly catching up on maintenance) I drove the 120 mile round trip to Rider's Hobby Shop in Flint for a shakedown run. After passing on this kit a few times I finally grabbed one. 

I'm sure nothing is going to fit right and it could certainly use shorter rear tires but after really looking over the contents it might be a fun project. 

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

It does! The kit is so weird. It included those deep dish Work wheels, but they won't fit under the flares. 

I normally do a little chopping on the suspension, dial in a load of negative camber, and sand the tires off on a slant. That gets the "look" right. 😁

Sort of like this...

Aoshima-Kenmeri-2Dr.jpg

• Like 2