New "RULES" for the JCCS show 2014

This is what happens when the car world is encompassed around these 'sheep.' The car must be perfect they said...

buff your paint they said....

make sure your trailer is clean they said....

Fuck JCCS. I'd rather drive my ratted out Datsun anyday. Bet my truck gets more love and attention then a lot of the cars that are there. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First time. Was disappointed to not see any of the stock dimes walk away with anything and general attitude of some of the jccs staff. Nico guys including Greg rocked and the guys I met from forum rocked. But I won't be making that drive again. Was cool to finally say I went. I think my car got more attention outside the show LOL

This is what happens when the car world is encompassed around these 'sheep.' The car must be perfect they said...

buff your paint they said....

make sure your trailer is clean they said....

Have you been to JCCS?

Fuck JCCS. I'd rather drive my ratted out Datsun anyday. Bet my truck gets more love and attention then a lot of the cars that are there.

I have made the trek over from the East Coast to Cali to attend the last 7 JCCS shows.  I will admit that I have seen the transition from "quality street car" entrants into what looks to be a free for all parked onto the lawn.  I've also noticed that the age group in attendance has dramatically change from the mid 30's -50 year old guys into the younger 20's to teenagers; Which means this niche market has now become mainstream.  

Being mainstream isn't a bad thing, but it does start a shift from the identity that this show originally embodied into something else. It is because of this that it is inevitable that JCCS will need to start some major refinements to go along with its growth.  Part of that is the start of implementing some form of discrimination towards its entrants.  I think this is the only way to go in order to allow the best available cars to be showcased.  I don't think of this as a knock against the "build in progress" cars or the "true" daily drivers;  I look at it as more about growth of the Japanese Classic Car community's presence in the automotive landscape worldwide; And that JCCS is the leader of showcasing some of the best vintage Japanese cars in this country. 

Koji and the JCCS crew are aware that as the show progresses from its quiet and humble beginning of being one of the only of its kind states side, (this isn't the case so much anymore), and that as the community increases and continue to draw the interest of even more people, this show has to move beyond the "meet" feel and into something greater.  

Change is good.  :thumbup:

• Like 4

I haven't seen anything but pictures from JCCS, but I did get some low down from this year from my dad (his first time going). 

He's been around the Datsun crowd for a long time, he was a Shasta regular and the two of us have been to pretty much every show we can in the Bay. After three Canbys and the past two Japanese classic shows up here in the Bay (the one's put on by JNC in San Leandro, "Bayline" and such) he said that he was underwhelmed by JCCS. 

For whatever reasons it's not as big, number wise, as the old Shasta shows or the Canby show. It may draw more attention from the "non-participants" which is good, but it feels less like an owners' show. 

It certainly doesn't hold the same entertainment appeal as Canby to us daily Datsun drivers. 

All of that being said, I don't think that the new restrictions will be too much of a problem, depending on who will be judging the "case-by-case" stuff. I think that there is a difference between the true rat-rods and "good enough." The latter is I think what they are trying to keep out. 

But I haven't really seen them have a problem with that in the past, so I'm not sure why they suddenly decided that they need this new pre-screen, especially if they aim for this show to grow from a participant level as opposed to a viewer level. 

Maybe the powers that be at JCCS will do something profound like have a dedicated area in the parking lot for works in progress. I personally would rather see cars that people put some time and effort into making them nice. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but it is a car show.

Maybe the powers that be at JCCS will do something profound like have a dedicated area in the parking lot for works in progress. I personally would rather see cars that people put some time and effort into making them nice. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but it is a car show.

if they did that no one would pay to enter the show.. :rofl:

I have read the posts and not sure I understand the problem. Is the purpose of the show to be a gathering of car owners in a great location? Or to bring the overlooked Japanese classics into the public eye.

My family and I went to the show this year for the first time. There was a lot of hype about this show and I have to say I too was a little let down. I really think they could make classes available for judging. Maybe a "rat rod" class and "daily driver".

Keep in mind the point of view from those who paid good money to come see your cars and trucks. Going to a car show brings an expectation of seeing some thing that has had a great deal of time spent in prepping, cleaning and or modifying it. A "rat rod' to me is intended to be rough and should be classified as so. To me if they would display in categories it would have been more fun to walk through.

• Like 1

Personally I think to show up the new rules are fine. They won't have a shortage of people wanting to show up. JCCS was never intended to be a project car show. In the first few years you saw very few projects or primered cars, it's something that has creeped up over the past couple years. Some "ratty" cars can be done very tastefully, and then some are just half-finished projects....it's the later that they want to get rid of. Which is fine, finish your project and come back next year. They want this to be a world class event, with a great showing of nice Japanese cars, you can't blame them for not wanting projects.

• Like 1

Ray( Mr big tanker).. wait, I wasn't sayin I'm not gonna be there..isht I've been to every one.... olyeller was on the poster and the t shirt for the 5th one...I would not miss the show.... all I was doing was bringin up the new rules and wanting to start a discussion.......I totally enjoy the atmosphere and talkin with everyone..... please don't misunderstand....

Personally I think to show up the new rules are fine. They won't have a shortage of people wanting to show up. JCCS was never intended to be a project car show. In the first few years you saw very few projects or primered cars, it's something that has creeped up over the past couple years. Some "ratty" cars can be done very tastefully, and then some are just half-finished projects....it's the later that they want to get rid of. Which is fine, finish your project and come back next year. They want this to be a world class event, with a great showing of nice Japanese cars, you can't blame them for not wanting projects.

i agree with this.  most people that go to the shows, yourselves included is to see the vehicles and get ideas for your own.  they will still have people show up because it is a show.  look at the Barrett-Jackson shows/auctions, 100,000s show up for those to see, bid, and collect old cars... and yes once in a while they will have an unfinished car.  its rare though.

Ray( Mr big tanker).. wait, I wasn't sayin I'm not gonna be there..isht I've been to every one.... olyeller was on the poster and the t shirt for the 5th one...I would not miss the show.... all I was doing was bringin up the new rules and wanting to start a discussion.......I totally enjoy the atmosphere and talkin with everyone..... please don't misunderstand....

I don't hate you sir i try to respect my elders and you done me no wrong,and your a great guy but you should know that this would not turn out good.Like a few people agree lets see were this goes,hell if they turn in to the JCCS NAZI's then i wont go myself,who needs them anyway,you know this all about the money there getting paid and laid to do this event,now Honda is there,the best thing that could happen is they get really dumb and the people wont come forcing a bad turn out no profits and then well no show.But i hope not.

Shit the best part for me of this last show was going over to the Koyorad both and telling the guys there to go Fuck them selves.

I have read the posts and not sure I understand the problem. Is the purpose of the show to be a gathering of car owners in a great location? Or to bring the overlooked Japanese classics into the public eye.

My family and I went to the show this year for the first time. There was a lot of hype about this show and I have to say I too was a little let down. I really think they could make classes available for judging. Maybe a "rat rod" class and "daily driver".

Keep in mind the point of view from those who paid good money to come see your cars and trucks. Going to a car show brings an expectation of seeing some thing that has had a great deal of time spent in prepping, cleaning and or modifying it. A "rat rod' to me is intended to be rough and should be classified as so. To me if they would display in categories it would have been more fun to walk through.

This has been brought up before in a another post that again you need to read there rules on there site,but with that said why dont they its cheaper and more profits go in your pocket if you have to hand out more plaques,but i totally agree why should a modified compete against all stock?

Best idea EVER! when my family and I used to go to the Mopars Unlimited Shows it separated each bodystyle and year range, and each one had a "stock" and "modified" class and that worked great, no one felt overshadowed because a 69' charger with 100K into it was overshadowing thier beat up Manaco.

I feel the same basic Idea can be applied, split it up between Bodystyle and year range, just as the Mopar shows up here did, and have 2 catagories, Finished, and unfinished. thats all. If the owner feels it is done OVERALL, meaning it is either already or super close to what they want the final product to be would be finished. Now vehicles that the owner feels it is nowhere near what thier visiion for the car need to be is a WIP, or Incomplete.

this would help make both sides of the stick feel welcome so that no one is left out. Rat rods can compete against major Trailer queens, like it currently is while at the same time not overshadowing people who have a limited budget and a ratty WIP.

from what i heard they want to make it a classy event and to me that is not what Ratsun represents at all. Since jccs, I noticed the price of j-tin parts have skyrocketed. if this continues, our cars are not going to be any better than expensive cars to look at. My 400 truck is not worth 2k or above now for example. 

Well first thing is THEY are not affilated with RATSUN.. They are JCCS.