Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not an FML post. I got a great life but it took a twist a couple of night ago.

1960s: my grandfather becomes friends with an WW2 vet/local mechanic named Boyd.

1969: yours truly comes into the world as an illegitimate child (you can say "bastard" - I was born into the title, I didn't earn it). God saw fit to place me in a small Southern Baptist town where such a mother and child were exiled and treated like dirt. Plot twist: genetics thought it clever to give me brown eyes, olive skin and a fantastic Art Garfunkel afro which made the rednecks say, "I think 'at boy's haff colored!". those were fun days! Ever met a white boy who got called, "Boy" by the fine Christians who never missed a day of church? well, ya have now.

early 1970s: mom's mental health (never good) faded away and I was toddling a mile to the local downtown where teenagers would buy me candy and soda pop if I would just stay the hell out of the middle of the road because they were scared to death I was going to get run over. Ah, yes! Class of '74 & '75 - you were good people!

sometimes I would wander down to the local Sinclair gas station where the spit and whittle crowd congregated. those gentlemen took great delight in asking me (all of four years of age) "Whose yer daddy, boy!?!". I dunno. no clue. except for this one old mechanic who, unlike the rest, never wore a hat, was always freshly shaven and had slicked back wavy hair kinda like Jerry Lee Lewis. this man would look at me, give me two quarters and say, "Son, walk down to the grocery store and buy you some treats. this ain't no place for you". The old man was Boyd. he knew me but I didn't know him as my grandfather had passed and no one had ever introduced me.

mid 1970s: Boyd's son, Tom becomes local chief of police. Tom gets my underage sister drunk and rapes her in his cruiser. he resigns in disgrace (nothing is done to him of course. why? well, he's a good Christian who drinks, she's a girl whose mom popped out a bastard so they're not human people and besides, his father, Boyd is a rough old cuss who drag races, drinks whiskey, is a womanizer, is known to have Playboy mags in the house so it's partly his dad's fault. my family severs all ties with Boyd.

1983: at thirteen years old I had walked four miles west of town to see a friend. about two miles on the way back to town a 1955 green and white Chevrolet four door 210 sedan is about to enter on Highway 17 from the driveway of a salvage yard business. the car's brakes lock up, an old man with slicked-back wavy hair says, "Do you need a ride, son?". in a '55 Chevy!?! phuckin' A right I do! I slam the door almost hard enough to break the door glass, he looks at me over his glasses and says, "Son, this is a '55 Chevy, not some new piece of junk. you don't need to slam the door. my name's Boyd. I told him who I was. didn't know me. when I recited the family tree back to my grandpa, he looked at me with misty eyes and said, "Yeah, I know who you are son...." he drops me off at my Granny's house (she's raising me because mom, well.....). she gets a little angry because she knew the car and knew who was driving it. my response as a young skull full of mush, "Yeah, but Boyd didn't do anything, did he?". well, no....

1983-2011:

Boyd teaches me to drive a three on the tree and work on cars, gives me my first taste of whiskey, tells me to raid the Playboy stash whenever I feel like it, teaches me about women, tells me never to cuss in front of women, tells me never to cuss on the phone because the feds own the wires and they'll lock you up for that, he teaches me to be color blind with all people, disappears every holiday morning because he and some other old VFW men are putting all the flag up on main street.

he tells me to never hold anyone to blame for something someone else did and most importantly, "By God, children are innocent of anything their parents ever did!". he taught me a dog biting you in it's own yard is doing it's job so don't kick it but a man saying anything bad about your mother can be punched in the face at any time and anywhere.

he loaned me money, helped me buy cars, adopted my kids as his grandkids, ran a county sheriff off his place when a neighbor claimed our .22s were hitting her trailer house, i.e., "Mister! last time I checked this ain't the by God Soviet Union and you ain't just gonna drive up in my place and start barking commands!". Sheriff politely nodded and left. he would also mention Tom and say, "He's my son and I love him but he damned sure did wrong". before my Granny died in 1993 she called him to say "thank you" for all he'd done for me. he was proud that they had made peace. from my last year of middle school until I was 41 he was one of my best friends in the world.

in 2011, at age 84, WW2 vet Boyd had a 41 year old girlfriend, was driving his last old car (a '54 Bel-Air with Camaro suspension and 350 V8) to the bar every day, drinking whiskey every day and was smoking a pack every day. a routine VA check-up (that he'd postponed for years) revealed an aggressive cancer throughtout his body. he was gone in a month.

2013: Tom fell off his tractor, it drove over him and tore him up pretty bad.

night before last: Tom was drunk, supposedly beating a woman he was dating and waving a gun around. she called the cops. the cops told him to drop the weapon. he didn't. they shot him. in the neck. in his own kitchen. the woman was taken to the hospital where no injuries or bruises of any kind were seen.

postscript: one of the racist old women who loved to call me "boy" was blessed with a bi-racial grandson named Toby". Toby's mom had better things to do than raise kids so her parents (wonderful, kind folks) raised him locally and he was fixture at their pharmacy. he was a little angel with a sweetness that is hard to describe. he sparkled when he saw you. he had to hug you when you came into the shop or his feelings hurt. leukemia claimed him at seven. his funeral was huge and no one cried any harder than his racist old grandma who wept openly. she died not long after.

Tom's son is on my facebook and rightly crying over his father. my female cousins who remember the incident have take a ghoulish joy in celebrating the man's death and then posting "#alllivesmatter" in response to the Dallas shootings.

Mayberry it ain't.

• Like 5

Great story.

Whatever is going on in Dallas, where ever else, is ridiculous.

Black lives matter? I think proper police training matters. I think respect for man matters. I think innocent people dying wrecklessly matters.

Shit is getting out of hand. Revelations?

• Like 3

I'm not justifying anything.

Everyone here knew it would happen at one time or another.

I don't agree with either stance. But I understand the means.

Shoot an innocent, up-standing black man...in front of his wife and child...expect retaliation.

You nor I have any experience about said subject to say anything. We are not black. But...I am not in the slightest bit offended by the shooting of the police in Dallas at this point.

Self-annointed Marshall law. Stand your ground, brethren. Fuck the police.

Now...what happens the next time you are approached by a black cop?

Will there be hostility? Will there be angst?

What if you have a concealed carry?

Will that officer's finger be just as itchy?

You just don't know.

Obama didn't start this. Racism did.

I have read the reports and watched the videos.

Re shooting of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were uncalled for, unprovoked, thoughtless, and at the end of the day-cold murder.

You need to remove your head from your right winged ass and take a deeper look around.

The end of days are coming if brutal murder on our people are just commonplace.

Maybe the brutal attacks on officers in Dallas will open some eyes in the system.

We're not here to just take what the man gives us or tells us to do.

Those were people, innocently killed, at the hands of our government.

Racism and ignorance are to blame.

You're bitching that someone took action against them. Wow.

• Like 1