New 69 wagon in NE Portland

reese

After a few years wo a Datsun I finally picked up another wagon. It's all stock (with a Weber) and only 62,000 miles! It's pretty untouched and I have ordered the missing oem knobs, switches and lights. Perfect headliner, untracked dash, no radio ever! It was really dirty and I have been cleaning it and checking out all the systems. So far I cleaned the fuse box and all the wire terminals, replaced headlights and rebuilt the wiper linkage. Next up is electronic ignition and a major tune up. Over the next few months I will be collecting parts for the suspension rebuild I hope to complete this year. I am installing ZX struts, brakes and master cylinder and all new bushings and lowering it a couple of inches. Nothing crazy but I will go through the chassis and drivetrain and make a good driver out of it. Looking for some ZX six spoke wheels as well. It runs and drives good now but with some minor additions it will be a great car. I will be out at some meetings and shows and hope to meet more of you.

Have fun, Erik

image_zps843fc649.jpg

image_zps1cae4c4b.jpg

image_zpsc970a2bc.jpg

image_zps0bd985e8.jpg

image_zpseab7ba6e.jpg

image_zps821df19c.jpg

image_zps0e459c40.jpg

image_zps324b34c7.jpg

image_zpsd58b4e2a.jpg

image_zps49df45fc.jpg

This is the truck I sold in Portland

DSCF3640_zps4e93e2ab.jpg

This is the wagon I built and sold in San Francisco

IMG_2656_zps09351f97.jpg

IMG_2612_zps55d0c69d.jpg

Here are more pics of above

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/aoitoriwagon/library/?sort=3&page=1

• Like 2
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it from the second owner here in Portland. It was parked in his driveway on Lombard St and I drove by it twice a day on the way to work. It was original sold in the Seattle area where it spent most of its life. One day I stopped to see what was up with it. 3 days later I drove it home....

image_zpscd404542.jpg

Very nice goon.  I "THINK" the '69 uses the same marker as my Aussie Wagon, which is the same one as the 521 truck.  I bought a pair of NOS indicators from this fellow an he is very reliable.  Two NOS units from him are cheaper than the single you mentioned above..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-JDM-NOS-FRONT-GUARD-INDICATOR-LIGHTS-521-/161086699740?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258183f8dc

Very nice goon.  I "THINK" the '69 uses the same marker as my Aussie Wagon, which is the same one as the 521 truck.  I bought a pair of NOS indicators from this fellow an he is very reliable.  Two NOS units from him are cheaper than the single you mentioned above..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-JDM-NOS-FRONT-GUARD-INDICATOR-LIGHTS-521-/161086699740?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258183f8dc

The ones you posted there are not the US spec lights.  Personally, I only like the US spec lights....

Thanks for all the wagon love. I had a fun night in the garage tonight. Got the Pertronix installed along with a new coil, NGK wires and plugs, plus a cap and rotor. Need to tidy up the wiring tomorrow. I also took off the original air pump and adjusted the Weber. It runs like a top now. I am sure a lot of you know about Rock Auto but if you don't there are some cheap well made replacement parts for almost all cars including 510s and other old cars. Now that it runs and drives ok time to clean up and touch up this old paint. Also check into get the seats fixed and new foam added. I think I have a source for the ZX struts and hopefully wheels so I can keep that moving forward as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have been busy working a ton but in my little spare time I have managed to get most of the stuff for the wagon rehab. I am not going crazy, just get it back to original with a suspension and brake rebuild and major tune up and fluid change for a daily driver for work. I have ordered and received all the stuff for the build I think. All of the original lights and switches and missing oem stuff is on the way. I got some ZX strut housings and six spoke wheels. Stripped, cleaned and polished those and some new 185/60 tires. Inserts and shocks, 2" blocks, and most front bushings, new rotors, calipers and Z master cylinder. Got the wheels and tires installed yesterday. I have a few weeks off soon before a new job and the plan is to get the car finished up and ready with all the above stuff. I want to clean it up inside and out also. Look out for more updates in the coming weeks.

image_zps5bc79681.jpg

image_zpsc1981945.jpg

image_zps4e01ceb5.jpg

• Like 1

I have a break between jobs for a few weeks so I am going to finally have time to get the wagon suspension and brakes rebuilt. I got the ZX struts torn down this morning and cut off the spring perches. Hope to get it jacked up and start doing stuff this evening. I am going to lower the back first then do the front so I can get the height set. Here is what I have accumulated so far.

image_zps6e27aed6.jpg

image_zps2bd107a1.jpg

image_zpsfb1a60d0.jpg

I don't think it's the paint code, just yesterday I went to the paint store for some touch up paint. I thought it was 910 but that was too green and we came up with 817 California Yellow. It was really close. The paint scanner said the closest match was Rolls Royce Ivory.