What welder shall I buy?

tr8er

I need a welder.  Must take gas, and must weld body metal.  So small is good.  I do not want to spend much, as this is only for my car, and I only have one project.  That said, I don't believe in buying a bad product to save money.  So I turn to you, expert of destruction/reconstruction.  What do you recommend.  

Hobart 130

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500549-Auto-Wire-Welder/dp/B002VECKTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378455352&sr=8-1&keywords=welder+mig

Lincoln Handy Mig

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-K2185-1-Handy-Welder/dp/B000QFNZ74/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378455352&sr=8-4&keywords=welder+mig

or another Lincoln,  Easy Mig 140

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-Easy-Cored-Welder/dp/B002R8B75U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1378455352&sr=8-10&keywords=welder+mig

Other:  (your suggestion)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Biased;  Miller.  With the same last name, I couldn't have anything else.  Plus all the old welder guys I know have 20+ year old Millers and they still work beautifully.

That said, Miller owns Hobart.  The main differences are the Hobart has plastic parts, and the Miller has aluminum parts.

I too just made this decision, only I tapped into my Datsun Money and bought the only welder I will probably ever need:  Millermatic 211.  I move around so much, I wanted to be able to plug into 110v or 220v.  It works beautifully.  I was skeptical of the autoset function, but I haven't had any problems at all. 

My other choice would have been the Millermatic 140.

I've used the Lincoln 140 and it worked well.

Shop here:  http://store.cyberweld.com/

I found in the 48 and here in Alaska, it was the same price or cheaper to just go into my local welding sales shop and buy from them. 

Also, Miller has a good rebate program.  I got a check back for $150.

I just remembered; before I bought mine, I called up a friend who is a tool slut (he too bought the 211, and another friend that owns a resto shop has the 211) anyways I asked my tool slut friend, what I should buy and he told me the resto shop he worked in, had the Hobart 140. It got used about 4 days a week. It lasted one year.... one year doesn't sound like much, but the average hobbiest might use it on a single restoration, for maybe a total of one month's time?... so by that math, it might last 12 years if you restore one car per year... probably not but if you keep it maintained....

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Lincoln 140HD from Home Depot.  Take a military friend and get 10% off.  If not, you've got the right idea with Amazon.  Can't beat their free shipping deal.

I just remembered; before I bought mine, I called up a friend who is a tool slut (he too bought the 211, and another friend that owns a resto shop has the 211) anyways I asked my tool slut friend, what I should buy and he told me the resto shop he worked in, had the Hobart 140. It got used about 4 days a week. It lasted one year.... one year doesn't sound like much, but the average hobbiest might use it on a single restoration, for maybe a total of one month's time?... so by that math, it might last 12 years if you restore one car per year... probably not but if you keep it maintained....

I haven't even broken mine out of the box yet but I gotta ask just for my knowledge..  what kind of stuff should I be doing for maintenance?  I want this bad boy to last as long as my coworkers Miller.

I have to say this topic is one of the most covered ones here, but every 6 months someone comes along and asks...... again. There are 4-5 posts on it and more about welding itself. Go to the search function an type "welders" and away you go. Tons of stuff.

• Like 1

I don't mind when someone asks a question that's been asked before.  I've noticed that from month to month, there seems to be different people actively on here.  And in some cases, you will get different, or at least a variety of answers that may not have been talked about before...  And sometimes, it's nice to get answers from the guys you've recently interacted with on here.

I can understand that the veterans on here get tired of reading the same questions, and a simple search might answer some of those questions, but in some cases, I think it's good...

Just my 2 cents.

I just bought a Lincoln 140HD from Home Depot.  Take a military friend and get 10% off.  If not, you've got the right idea with Amazon.  Can't beat their free shipping deal.

I haven't even broken mine out of the box yet but I gotta ask just for my knowledge..  what kind of stuff should I be doing for maintenance?  I want this bad boy to last as long as my coworkers Miller.

Just basic stuff really. 

http://lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/welder-maintenance.aspx

But also, when something is not functioning properly, get it fixed right away before it causes other problems.

Wow!  Sorry Mike.  That is a well covered topic that I've not seen pop up.  I'm typically one to search.  I'm yet to hear anyone who knows whats up tell me anything other than buy a Miller.  So I'm saving up for a Miller.  

Penance:  (some links that I found helpful in my search, for the next guy)

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/150.cfm

http://www.markthewelder.co.uk/id24.html

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/buying.htm

And a cool link with bodywork examples  http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/practical.htm

Sorry, did not mean to sound harsh. Maybe too early. I would have locked it if that was the case. I meant that there are lots of other opinions well covered other than those that might show up here today.

If just sheet metal you could probably get by with a cheepy 120 volt but with welding this is never the case. You will always want to try bigger and bigger projects. I got a 180 amp 220 volt Lincoln MIG welder by catching it on sale. They area round $650-$700+ when not.

• Like 2

Some more thoughts...

Like Mike mentioned, I think sheet metal welding is usually our priority, but then we find other projects.  For instance, I'm looking at modifying the rear bumper on my 620, but that is 1/8" steel.  Welding on the frame, also takes a little more amperage.  But also with more amperage, we can build and repair some heavy tools or tables and such....

I like the Miller 211 with the option for 110v and 220v, because I'm always moving and I never know if I will have 220 at my disposal (not that I couldn't just wire a 220 outlet in).  The 211 just seems to be one of the most practical welders on the market.

Have you looked at Miller's diagram for select what's right for you?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/onephase.php

You know, and old friend of mine who works at one of the local welding supply stores, told me, "when you think about it, the average hobbyist never uses the full duty cycle", "we weld a couple spots, set the MIG down, hammer for a bit, and pick it back up."  "The average hobbyist just doesn't put a lot of strain on the machine."

I've been looking at this same set of welders.

The guys at the airgas by me are pretty cool and gave me this advice...

Get an all aluminum (or metal) wire feed.  The machines with the plastic feed tend to break down or slip a lot in this area.

So the Miller 140c or

the Hobart 140 Handler (500559 or something like that and built by miller)

are my choices.

The Lincoln is a good machine too, the same wire feed rules apply

I'm looking for a good used Miller setup, new they are $850 or so without accessories.  If I don't find one soon I'll get the Handler on Amazon.  they are $499 for the updated 140 and then I'll need a bottle and cart, another $150-250 and I'll be set.

if you can get a used 130 or 135 machine for cheap then go for it, but if you're buying new you'll be happier with the improved wire feed.

I just want to add for anyone (not the op) thinking of going cheap with a welder, like the harbor freight one, don't! buy something decent. a friend gave me a harbor freight 110 wire feed and I feel like I got ripped off. its such a frustrating pile of shit it will suck all my motivation and make me not want to weld. if your just learning it will scare you away from welding. do yourself a favor and buy a miller or I really liked the Lincoln weld pac I had.

I've been looking at this same set of welders.

The guys at the airgas by me are pretty cool and gave me this advice...

Get an all aluminum (or metal) wire feed.  The machines with the plastic feed tend to break down or slip a lot in this area.

So the Miller 140c or

the Hobart 140 Handler (500559 or something like that and built by miller)

are my choices.

The Lincoln is a good machine too, the same wire feed rules apply

I'm looking for a good used Miller setup, new they are $850 or so without accessories.  If I don't find one soon I'll get the Handler on Amazon.  they are $499 for the updated 140 and then I'll need a bottle and cart, another $150-250 and I'll be set.

if you can get a used 130 or 135 machine for cheap then go for it, but if you're buying new you'll be happier with the improved wire feed.

I've been told the Hobart 140 uses plastic parts... Double check before you purchase.

Take advantage of Miller's rebate and buy the welder with a cart.

go big or go home haha just kidding

I think you will find if you buy a smaller cheaper welder down the road it wont be big enough

I have a miller 250 for home/shop use it works flawless

I have a lincolin 135 from home depot I use for portable jobs runs on 110 and light weight

a smaller welder is fine but more amps will give you better starts that are not to cold and more consistent welding

welders also have duty cycles for a shop they need 80 to 100%

for home use 50% might be fine

I bought a Hobart used.  It sits in my garage cause the adjustment knob broke off, and the internals are rusted siezed on high.  Not to mention it is in such crap shape that I am uninterested in putting another 25 cents into the thing.  And yes, you do sell it quite well, but I'll pass on your sale offer.  This miller 211 seems like a popular choice.  Miller!  Sale time!

I have to say that one has to know how to use a welder in the first place, I bought a harbor freight(HF) welder in the 90s, I hated it, all it did was make a lot of noise and sparks, but I did not know how to use it, when the neighbor showed me how to set it, it was/is a great welder, I still have it to this day, and I made my 1969 datsun 521 kingcab with it, but I did learn something about HF stuff that makes me shy away from their stuff though, the only place to buy parts to repair it are at HF, this is a hassle, as I want to be able to go to the nearest welding supply shop and buy parts if I need to, I could not even buy tips for it at the welding supply shops.

I bought a millermatic passport plus(suit case welder), it runs off 110/220 volt, it's a great welder, it can be used for sheet metal, and for very thick metal also, but it's not for everyone, as they are expensive welders.

And for those shopping around for a welder, you must understand this, you cannot weld automotive sheet metal like what is on our Datsuns, you spot weld/tack it, if you try to weld it, the metal gets to hot and warps, to weld automotive sheet metal, you tack it together every 4 inches, once you get to the end of what you are tacking, then you tack it in between what you just did from where you started, after that time around, then you start skipping ahead about 4 inches and you go around over and over till all the tack welds are almost touching each other, then you are done.

This is what I am talking about below, I used gas tacking this, gas is cleaner, but if you weld outside a lot, think about using flux core wire.

DSCN0105.jpg

You can weld thicker sheet metal on our datsuns, like what the floor boards are made of, but sheet metal is still just sheet metal, it will warp if it gets hot enough.

I like my Eastwood 130 (135?) mig. It was designed inhouse by them. Uses mostly Lincoln parts. $300 brand new from them (I got free shipping). Mine has seen 5 rolls of fluxcore thus far. Variable feed and power. Super high reviews on their site. Im happy. Sometimes there is an offer on their site, if you join the email newsletter you get 10% off...