A 410 Goon moves to Hawaii

bought a piece of land to build a new house( with 750sf shop!) all in the last month.

I need to move off Oahu. Said piece of land would probably be millions of dollars here.  Or I'd be way out in the country surrounded by chronics.  Probably both lol.

• Like 1
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to move off Oahu. Said piece of land would probably be millions of dollars here.  Or I'd be way out in the country surrounded by chronics.  Probably both lol.

Or I'd be way out in the country surrounded by chronics = Big Island

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So, I finally got back in the shop and got to work on this little bad boy. Tackled the front subframe and suspension last week. completely wire wheeled, stripped, repainted, installed new ball joints and Cut springs.

image_zps716e26dc.jpg

Put it all back together this morning. My next move up here will be to do the MKlotz infiniti disc brake upgrade. Which means that the 13 inch star wheels that came with the car won't fit. Ended up buying some 14" SSR Jilbas from Japan. Wagons are good for wheel storage...

image_zps0ed8e1dc.jpg

All of the wheels you see here will not be going on this car though. After the Jilba's arrived I found my grail wheels and bought them, they will be coming from Japan soon.

Since the front suspension is back together, my next job is to detail the undercarriage and rustproof as well as drop the rear axle and refurbish. I wasn't looking forward to getting under the car with a wire wheel on the grinder with only 20 inches of clearance so I busted out some of my carpentry skills and some big GluLam Beam chunks and did this...

image_zpse93da255.jpg

Don't try this at home kids, actually is pretty damn sturdy.

Another productive day, installed swaybar, dropped rearend, springs and gas tank. Spent about five hours with a wire wheel, putty knife and wire brush prepping the underbody. Masked off and put two coats of undercoating on the old girl. I don't know why but this was a satisfying project for me, maybe I'm crazy from the fumes!!!

image_zps884a9614.jpg

image_zpsa0e87058.jpg

The paint is still wet in the pics, it should look more even and flat when it dries.

• Like 2

Several months ago an older, used dashclock came up on eBay and got me excited about the thought of owning one to put in my car. They seem to be fairly rare outside of Japan and desirable.

7ddea947-ea7e-48c3-856d-9bd303927257_zps

I started searching japan sites and would see images of them but never any for sale.

image_zps99f740e6.jpg

One late night I was searching eBay for any kind of vintage alarm clock that I could just Velcro on my dash and I saw one that looked remarkably like the original. I ended up buying it knowing that it was a battery-operated universal clock although it was the same shape. I saw the word 'Jeco' on it and then started referencing all the sites where I saw the original and found that it was the same manufacture and period correct. When I received it a week ago it came with directions and the directions showed it being placed on a Datsun 410 RHD dash.

image_zps1e2aecf9.jpg

This is a run-of-the-mill eBay victory. What I didn't tell you yet is that 30 seconds after buying this Clock I did another search for 'Jeco clock'

And up came a listing for vintage Nissan automobile clock that looked exactly like the legit 410\411 ones I kept seeing. It had a 'buy it now' price and 16 days left and I instantly got sweaty palms and my heart started beating fast. I opened another window to start doing research on it and immediately was worried that somebody else was going to buy it during those seconds. I pretty much the open the window and bought it as fast as I could and have been nervously awaiting the package that came today.

image_zpse70d1e12.jpg

In the listing the clock looked basically perfect and when I unboxed my newfound treasure...

image_zps34c2dda0.jpg

I found that I'm the new owner of a virgin/unmounted mid/60s Nissan Dashclock. This may sound a little dramatic but I'm obviously a little crazy about old Datsun parts. I'm assuming some of you are too!

Enjoy!

image_zpscdf14059.jpg

image_zps9a10be80.jpg

image_zps012ab33c.jpg

Now I just have to decide if the NOS one is too nice to mount in my old car...

• Like 1

Been there. Get over it. Finish the car, and realize that no one has a nicer car than you. And that you know what time it is!

• Like 1

Several months ago an older, used dashclock came up on eBay and got me excited about the thought of owning one to put in my car. They seem to be fairly rare outside of Japan and desirable.

7ddea947-ea7e-48c3-856d-9bd303927257_zps

I started searching japan sites and would see images of them but never any for sale.

image_zps99f740e6.jpg

One late night I was searching eBay for any kind of vintage alarm clock that I could just Velcro on my dash and I saw one that looked remarkably like the original. I ended up buying it knowing that it was a battery-operated universal clock although it was the same shape. I saw the word 'Jeco' on it and then started referencing all the sites where I saw the original and found that it was the same manufacture and period correct. When I received it a week ago it came with directions and the directions showed it being placed on a Datsun 410 RHD dash.

image_zps1e2aecf9.jpg

This is a run-of-the-mill eBay victory. What I didn't tell you yet is that 30 seconds after buying this Clock I did another search for 'Jeco clock'

And up came a listing for vintage Nissan automobile clock that looked exactly like the legit 410\411 ones I kept seeing. It had a 'buy it now' price and 16 days left and I instantly got sweaty palms and my heart started beating fast. I opened another window to start doing research on it and immediately was worried that somebody else was going to buy it during those seconds. I pretty much the open the window and bought it as fast as I could and have been nervously awaiting the package that came today.

image_zpse70d1e12.jpg

In the listing the clock looked basically perfect and when I unboxed my newfound treasure...

image_zps34c2dda0.jpg

I found that I'm the new owner of a virgin/unmounted mid/60s Nissan Dashclock. This may sound a little dramatic but I'm obviously a little crazy about old Datsun parts. I'm assuming some of you are too!

Enjoy!

image_zpscdf14059.jpg

image_zps9a10be80.jpg

image_zps012ab33c.jpg

wow!!

Amazing find.

Nice work, all in the details ;)

Is that why I have 3 sets of wheels, 2 dash clocks, 2 pair of NOS fender mirrors and 3 vintage steering wheels? Because I'm addicted to details? Need to start selling my leftovers soon. But I need to wait for the next crates to arrive from Japan first!

• 2 weeks later...

So my latest shipment came in from Japan. Yay me! My 410 wagon project is taking on a Mr. Potatohead-like quality. I am getting too many accessories and need to pick which ones will get installed. I know it's my car and my call, but I'm getting bored waiting for my motor to get outta the machine shop... So if you wish to play Mr. Potatogoon, answer the following three questions...

image_zps24cedd83.jpg

Shoes. A or B?

A: Techno Phantoms 14x6.5j +15

B: SSR Jilba Racing 14x6j +10

Both need refinish. Have full set of 4 of both.Jilbas have 3 centercaps, Phantoms have 4.

image_zps64888f22.jpg

Wheel. A,B or C

A: 'Made in Italy' leather 4-spoke. Believed Personal, but not.

B: Momo 'Super Indy' wood

C: Stock '65 Datto

image_zpsf078326f.jpg

Fender mirrors. A or B?

A: Nissan 'new in box' GL's

B: EverWing 'new in box' original 410/411 style

Mahalo! Wish I could make it to Canby. But, no can.

I am 100% aware of proper fender and/or door mounting options and opinions. I could honestly go either way. One third option that looks interesting, flamesuit on, is a datsun roadster variation.

image_zpse607cde1.jpg

The mirrors are on the fenders but aft of the front wheel. Has a European sportscar look, and my Pinnafarina-design Datsun has a similar style... Thanks everyone for the Mr. Potatogoon feedback. I think the Phantoms have to be my choice. But the Jilbas are pretty awesome in person... The 4-spoke is out. Might rock the stocker wheel... But that lil Momo has a Classic look/feel. A third option on mirrors is my single highly patina'ed OG round door mirror. I won't say how much I 'invested' in my 2 pair of vintage mirrors... Ouch!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...