A 410 Goon moves to Hawaii

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got sidetracked with chores, organizing shop and parts all afternoon. Found a bill of lading that said I got the car off the boat August of 2013... Made me feel bad the old girl has never been washed in almost 20 years. Gave her a sponge bath and hit the paint with some rubbing compound.

image_zpsb86f8f22.jpg

• Like 3

Man looking good! I just moved to Japan from Hawaii last year and have yet to find a solid datsun source. Got info to share so I can datsun get some goodies too and some wheels too :)

My datsun is on the ship as we speak and it finally arrives this month!! Stoked

Your one stop shop is Yahoo Japan auctions. I personally wouldn't mess around with buying lots of parts. I would look for a finished complete right hand drive car and just buy the whole shooting match! Skylines, sunny trucks, Gloria wagons. Wheels in all widths/offsets, you could spend months just looking at Datsun related auctions. Heard good things about some shops like UpGarage and Refresh 60!
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Finally bought a welder and teaching myself how to weld... I'm a cabinetmaker, so I understand fab pretty well already. Finally moving forward on my engine swap. And I figure I'll just custom fab an Air-ride setup and tuck the wire harness while I got my tools out. Oh Boy!

image_zpsa770cb66.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing to get work done to get ready to hook my new motor and trans up and have committed to adding airbag suspension. The stock lower control arms weren't working quite the way I wanted with the airbags, so I decided to fab new ones from scratch.

image_zps1aa4975f.jpg

image_zps11b8b3ce.jpg

These control arms position the bag mounting plates parallel when at ride height.

• Like 2

I imagine you can have any machine shop fab you some cheaper in Cali. I did not save the specs but they did laugh at me because the U bolts were so small and they had never made any in such small diameter. I did buy a boss steering hub that I believe was 240z/510 and it fit. But I have decided to run the stock wheel. Best way to find out is try one of your hubs.

I sold the Volvo, but I do have a 4 x 4 tundra. I was trying to lower her static, but I could not even get out of my driveway, hence the bags. It's still going to be stock interior and exterior, just low and I swapped to A-series for availability of parts, 5spd& 40 more horsepower. I sold the red center Jilba's to Skyline Mikey for his 4 door Hako(rebarreling to 15xsuperwide) and the gold center ones to Troy Ermish for his Light Green Coupe.

• 2 weeks later...

So my buddy Just Joel flew from Oregon to Hawaii and I took a week off work to get some progress on my wagon before I start building my house next month. We spent the first half of the long week beating, grinding and welding on the old girl. During the second half we hooked up airbags, full length custom driveline tunnel and a custom tucked soldered wire harness that performs flawlessly. Now that I'm back to work at construction it's like a day off. Mahalo to Just Joel for expert knowledgable fab work performed in a 360 slam dunk style!!!

image_zpsulzfxgjx.jpg

image_zpsv5zjc0fu.jpg

image_zpsjb7mejmn.jpg

I'm laying front subframe, lower control arms, rear leaf spring hangers and damn near rear roll pan and can air up to a comfortable ride height. And we also have Bilstien shocks at each corner with bombproof shock mounts that have great geometry.

• Like 6