Passing smog

Sooo I live in California and I want a king cab 620, buuttttttt you have to smog them here because they were made after 75. I don't want to do a vin swap because of legal issues. If I can get a truck that passes smog, what can I do to the stock motor to keep it passing smog but have modifications to the engine. Like can I run a bigger cam, etc.. I was thinking I have three options. Get it to pass smog, pull all engine components and stash that engine away, and install a built L18, L20b, Ka24, whatever it may be. Or keep it stock and just run it. Or idk about swapping heads and pistons an such, but can I build like a LZ23 and port and polish and all that good stuff and still disguise it as the stock motor, and still pass smog. I guess what I'm asking are what are my options?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lowered 620 king cab for sale on CL and says it is a '73.  Know you don't want to deal with that but it is an option.  From what I have read a hotter cam equals worst emissions.  Guess pulling the engine after smog could work but there is always the chance you could get pulled over and hood popped, then a towed truck.. rare but could happen.

Rick-rat is probably right. You might be better off keeping it stock. I just had my 210 smogged under the new STAR system. They freaking check everything! They check the gas cap (I have to put my OEM one on for smogging because the locking one I have won't pass), they check the pressure in your gas tank, they check the engine and of course the emissions. It's just plain nuts all they check now but having my 210 stock under the hood helped. In the old days they only checked the emissions. They didn't do all that stuff they do now. I was kinda worried about this new STAR system from what I'd read about it but the guys at the smog place told me having it stock under the hood was best not that I had any plans to really change out the engine. My 210 passed with flying colors.

Leave Cali-

Ha I would in an instant if I had the opportunity. I really want to leave, but I have a few things here I need to tie up.

There is a lowered 620 king cab for sale on CL and says it is a '73. Know you don't want to deal with that but it is an option. From what I have read a hotter cam equals worst emissions. Guess pulling the engine after smog could work but there is always the chance you could get pulled over and hood popped, then a towed truck.. rare but could happen.

I'll take a look, mind posting a link?

Rick rat and colourbox, I will probably end up doing that, was just looking at options.

Is there anyway to have a legal swap?

Build your LZ23, leave all the stock stuff on.  Or better yet, cut out the bottom plate of the stock airbox to fit whatever down draft carburetor you want.  Route the according vacuum lines, but "mock" them up.  If it looks stock, they're not going to check much.  You could even install a catalytic converter for test purposes.  If your rig is running right, it will pass the emissions with flying colors.  It just depends on all the additional bullshit they do of looking at it, etc.

Build your LZ23, leave all the stock stuff on.  Or better yet, cut out the bottom plate of the stock airbox to fit whatever down draft carburetor you want.  Route the according vacuum lines, but "mock" them up.  If it looks stock, they're not going to check much.  You could even install a catalytic converter for test purposes.  If your rig is running right, it will pass the emissions with flying colors.  It just depends on all the additional bullshit they do of looking at it, etc.

That used to work.  See Colourbox's post above. This year Cali moved to a new smog test setup system called STAR. Way more anal then before.  "Certain" cars targeted as gross polluters (really old cars or ricers) have to go through extra hoops now. I expect to see a lot of the 240sx's off the road in Cali in the near future because of this.

http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-states/488493-new-2013-smog-station-changes-rules-california.html

The irony is if you have 2000 or newer they now just check the computer!  No tailpipe test.

From another article:

“Starting January 1, 2013:

• All 1999 model-year and older vehicles (the model years most likely to have high emissions) will be directed to new STAR inspection stations.

“September 1, 2013:

• All 2000 model-year and newer vehicles will be inspected using the [On-Board Diagnostic system]-based test.”

The change will purportedly make automobile emissions testing less expensive and more expeditious in addition to helping lower overall auto emissions in state.

The state Bureau of Automotive Repair on Jan. 1 changed its smog test program by eliminating Gold Shield smog-check stations, which generally handled potentially high polluting vehicles, and creating STAR test stations, which must meet a higher performance standard for technicians and the stations themselves as set by the bureau. Some of the STAR stations are test only while others can do tests and repairs, and there still are non-STAR smog stations for tests only and for tests and repairs.

For drivers, getting a DMV car registration renewal that requires a smog certification at a STAR station means your vehicle likely fits into a “high-emitter profile” and is statistically likely to fail a smog check based on its previous smog check history, engine type, make, model and other variables that indicate the vehicle has a greater likelihood to fail, said Russ Heimerich, a spokesman for the state Department of Consumer Affairs, of which the Bureau of Automotive repair is a part.

Or, he said, your vehicle just may have been chosen at random (7% of all vehicles).

Heimerich said the STAR program partly resulted from a 2009 study by the bureau that found many vehicles that passed a smog check would be out of compliance with air pollution laws shortly thereafter. Bureau officials decided to step up standards for the smog test stations to catch high polluting vehicles and developed the STAR program.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121227/A_NEWS/212270320/-1/rss02

The techs are all pissed about it also due to the weird rating system they have setup.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/OK-my-smog-career-is-over-td5002614.html

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Where-the-Smog-check-program-is-going-td5005703.html

Fuck smog checks!  Ohh and BTW those Prius fucks don't have to do smog checks. No smog for hybrids (yet!).

I need to get the hell out of this state. I'm pretty sure I will have to do this with the wife's car next year- only smog car we have (she had it when I met her).

Edit: You think this is bad you should see what they do to the truckers:

By 2021-2023 all trucks must have 2010 or newer diesel engines, if the truck is pre-1994 you must upgrade the engine by 2015.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf

Edited by Dguy210

What about putting a hybrid motor in a Datto? :D

Easiest way is convert  diesel. No smog on diesel until 1996. Could also convert to electric. Of course if you convert back.... :devil:

Wow, makes me realize how good I have it not being in California.  If I was there, I would be seriously considering vigilante actions against the BAR and/or emissions stations.  Which would probably impact my career.  Good thing I'm not there.  Solution: move out of Cali.

It may be funny to PNW people, that here in California a 620 we will say a pre 1976 (maybe 2x) is worth much more than a 76-79  I had people trying to give me a basket truck in the desert and I said no due to was a 78 ,so another friend parted it out and took chassis for disc brakes ,it is a bummer but even a stock 76-86 car or 720 is hard to pass smog they need to make law 1985 instead of 75 ,my Corona wag. is 76 but produced early 75 and I am screwed ,still has Catalytic converter so I may try De-Natured alcohol trick that was posted 1.5 years ago on here. Also have Smog check next door and due to star there are no more funny smogs.

Yup, come move to Oklahoma, no emissions.  Heck, you can run without a hood and front fenders, as long as you have wipers and lights, you are good pretty much.  Beautiful weather, gun rights, low cost of living.  We even have a 'good' basketball team...

my Corona wag. is 76 but produced early 75 and I am screwed

Maybe not., look on the door or fender tag and see what standards it was produced and tested to.  My 1997 Infiniti was produced so early in the model year that 1997 standards were not yet finalized, so it is a legal 1997 model that was tested and certified, and thereafter must meet the 1996 emissions standards.  Your Corona may be a 1976 that must only meet  1975 emissions.  Take a look, it's free and may pay off.

K_trip thank you for the information. It is very useful. I will look into it a lot more, as I am planning on buying thy king cab from Ashland. Already talked to the guy and everything is there, and if all goes well, I'll be picking it up this weekend.

• Like 1

That used to work.  See Colourbox's post above. This year Cali moved to a new smog test setup system called STAR. Way more anal then before.  "Certain" cars targeted as gross polluters (really old cars or ricers) have to go through extra hoops now. I expect to see a lot of the 240sx's off the road in Cali in the near future because of this.

http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-states/488493-new-2013-smog-station-changes-rules-california.html

The irony is if you have 2000 or newer they now just check the computer!  No tailpipe test.

From another article:

“Starting January 1, 2013:

• All 1999 model-year and older vehicles (the model years most likely to have high emissions) will be directed to new STAR inspection stations.

“September 1, 2013:

• All 2000 model-year and newer vehicles will be inspected using the [On-Board Diagnostic system]-based test.”

The change will purportedly make automobile emissions testing less expensive and more expeditious in addition to helping lower overall auto emissions in state.

The state Bureau of Automotive Repair on Jan. 1 changed its smog test program by eliminating Gold Shield smog-check stations, which generally handled potentially high polluting vehicles, and creating STAR test stations, which must meet a higher performance standard for technicians and the stations themselves as set by the bureau. Some of the STAR stations are test only while others can do tests and repairs, and there still are non-STAR smog stations for tests only and for tests and repairs.

For drivers, getting a DMV car registration renewal that requires a smog certification at a STAR station means your vehicle likely fits into a “high-emitter profile” and is statistically likely to fail a smog check based on its previous smog check history, engine type, make, model and other variables that indicate the vehicle has a greater likelihood to fail, said Russ Heimerich, a spokesman for the state Department of Consumer Affairs, of which the Bureau of Automotive repair is a part.

Or, he said, your vehicle just may have been chosen at random (7% of all vehicles).

Heimerich said the STAR program partly resulted from a 2009 study by the bureau that found many vehicles that passed a smog check would be out of compliance with air pollution laws shortly thereafter. Bureau officials decided to step up standards for the smog test stations to catch high polluting vehicles and developed the STAR program.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121227/A_NEWS/212270320/-1/rss02

The techs are all pissed about it also due to the weird rating system they have setup.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/OK-my-smog-career-is-over-td5002614.html

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Where-the-Smog-check-program-is-going-td5005703.html

Fuck smog checks!  Ohh and BTW those Prius fucks don't have to do smog checks. No smog for hybrids (yet!).

I need to get the hell out of this state. I'm pretty sure I will have to do this with the wife's car next year- only smog car we have (she had it when I met her).

Edit: You think this is bad you should see what they do to the truckers:

By 2021-2023 all trucks must have 2010 or newer diesel engines, if the truck is pre-1994 you must upgrade the engine by 2015.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf

The part about 2000 year models and later ? my Toyota truck was put on the dyno and sniffer and barely failed with no check engine light on.Its a 2000.

My 85 720 4x4 passed the enhanced smog check a few days ago with 288 thousand miles on the original engine. I keep it tuned, replace vacuum lines as needed and most of all I accept that my truck is a underpowered snail on the road.. I max out at 77 on a level freeway. Any grade over 4% and I'm in 4 th going 55 in the slow lane with dump trucks. When I want to have a fun drive I drive my 71 turbo 240z.

Rex

• Like 1

That's odd.  My '83 KC I'm at half throttle to do 70.  It'll go way faster than I feel safe.   No problem holding 5th gear up and over mountain passes, even with a Z24 block and 2 spare doors in the bed.  And that was an engine with 250,000 miles on it AND the original, unrebuilt carbeurator.  Had a hell of a time passing smog the last year it was required though.   Had to have it running like crap, almost undriveable.  The '83 was probably the quickest 4-cyl Datsun I've owned, though it wallows because it's so heavy in comparison.

Underpowered was the L18 in my '76 King Cab with a 5-speed, but even that could pull the pass in 5th @ 70.

Of course, neither were pushing big offroad tires.  Or used feedback carbs.  I will admit the one '85 I test drove did seem remarkably underpowered compared to my '83.