Nissan or Datsun

This has probably been brought up before but what are your opinions on this. Do you consider Datsuns Datsun or Nissan?

I like to think of Datsun as it's own company, even if it isn't, because when I associate it with Nissan I think of bland economy cars of the 90s(No offense to anyone).

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

think more about design principles, it seems that after the shift from datsun to nissan, there seemed to be a slow transition from being more on par with toyotas, and attempting to appear more classy/expensive, they should have continued datsuns with the same dramatic styling cues and influences, and made datsun seperate. think toyota-scion. but instead of being aimed at the younger crowd, it should be aimed at cheap old men who know how to do more than change oil. but alas, in a perfect world...

If talking about a vehicle before '82 I usually call them Datsuns, Nissans after. But all are built by Nissan check the engine tags and bills of sale. Nissan Motor Co.

Before '78 most if not all were badged DATSUN

'79-'81 it was DATSUN by NISSAN he beginning of the 'soft' change over

'82-'83 it was hard NISSAN although some also had a DATSUN on there too.

I had an '84 Maxima goon that had both same size badges DATSUN and NISSAN on the back sides of the tailgate.

Both emblems were used on the 300zx with DATSUN on the left rear and NISSAN on the right rear through '85. The DATSUN was totally dropped for '86. Probably the longest running most recognized emblem on the most famous DATSUN ever built.... gone.

If it says Datsun on it, it's Datsun.  Like my Datsun hardbody!  Of course, I have one Datsun hardbody and one Nissan hardbody. ;)  Philosophical differences between the time when Nissan used "Datsun" and when they abandoned it, differ greatly.  Datsun was the right way, Nissan strayed to the point of bankruptcy.  Had they stuck to the original idea, they would have been better off.

The philosophic difference was [not is] that Datsun was demand driven on parts support.  As long as there was some demand, Datsun/Nissan ordered replacement parts for those parts that showed some demand.  When demand slacked on as, for example USA model, Nissan corporate would pack the remaining stock in a container and ship it to the Carson CA warehouse where we could buy what we needed.  As soon as Renault got into the driver's seat it all changed!  10 years old? dump it!  Gone are the days when I could call the Torrance California parts manager  AND BE CONNECTED TO THE "Foreign Parts" division and find out if any Asian, Indian. Greek, or Middle Eastern parts depots still stocked my part.  In the extreme, I asked about rebuild kits for my RL411 starter.  First I had to convince them that the 2 Liter Roadster had the same unit [when "they" converted from paper to microfiche guess what page they skipped over] then because I said I would accept a rebuild kit, tHE Yokohama EMGINEERING DIVISION actually sent me a listing of all the RL411 or 2 liter Roadster starter piece parts that they still had in stock and asked which parts I wanted to rebuild my starter.  I orderd what I needed and am still driving with the factory starter [plus the parts Yokohama provided]. Service used to be a hallmark of the Datsun brand in America, Renault, with their usual Gallic inefficiency. ruined that!  French minds are different!  No insult intended to our Quebequoise members, My God Father is August Napoleon Bonaparte Doumaschell.  Informally, "Gussie", in the familly"Bonie".

Have you ever noticed that the French have incredibly tiny feet?  I'm not joking.  When the Renault Megane was being optioned as the new "Sentra" (gag) the pedals were too tiny for 'murrica.  We had to have bigger pedals.  I'm not a fan of tiny pedals.  Nor am I a fan of most of the French concepts being put into the design of new Nissan vehicles.  

• Like 1

I honestly pretty much disagree with all of you

so you go buy a Datsun bluebird sss? no you dont

you buy a Datsun Skyline? no you dont

you buy a Datsun fairlady z? um, no, you dont

that list could go on for ever.

those are all nissan products that were NOT under the datsun name, the fact is that nissan like usual, kept their best cars for the JDM (japanese domestic market) and brand named other cars that were not RHD that were less equiped Datsuns, basically so that stupid ass Americans would buy them

the name is nothing more, nothing less, in fact, a datsun is just an american nissan, every supposed datsun is designed by the nissan motor corporation, not the datsun corporation

whats a Fairlady z here? well its not a fairlady z, that name implied that its JDM and RHD, so that was NEVER a Datsun product, a fairlady z here is a 240/260/280z, neither was the BLUEBIRD SSS, it was a datsun 510, not available here in sss trim. the Hakosuka, has never been a Datsun, no Skyline, the brands Zenith marque, HAS EVER BEEN MARKETED UNDER THE NAME DATSUN. that in and of itself speaks volumes, they also never gave them to the United States, farther proving my point.

a Datsun is a cheaper version of a Nissan, sorry to inform all of you.

For those who know the history, Datsun was a completely separate company, and even preceded Nissan. But ultimately they were brought into the Nissan fold. So by the time our cars were made, they were Nissans, and just sold under the Datsun name. So I consider my Datsuns to be Nissans.

• Like 1

I mean, if you want to get down to brass tacks, nissan started to get shitty about stuff when they got rid of datsun, yes, is there a corelation between the two? no.

if they kept it datsun, they would have become shitty the same way, and they you would all would just sitting here complaining about how Datsun isnt what it used to be instead of saying "ever since datsun became nissan they suck"

that just isnt reasonable.

The philosophic difference was [not is] that Datsun was demand driven on parts support.  As long as there was some demand, Datsun/Nissan ordered replacement parts for those parts that showed some demand.  When demand slacked on as, for example USA model, Nissan corporate would pack the remaining stock in a container and ship it to the Carson CA warehouse where we could buy what we needed.  As soon as Renault got into the driver's seat it all changed!  10 years old? dump it!  Gone are the days when I could call the Torrance California parts manager  AND BE CONNECTED TO THE "Foreign Parts" division and find out if any Asian, Indian. Greek, or Middle Eastern parts depots still stocked my part.  In the extreme, I asked about rebuild kits for my RL411 starter.  First I had to convince them that the 2 Liter Roadster had the same unit [when "they" converted from paper to microfiche guess what page they skipped over] then because I said I would accept a rebuild kit, tHE Yokohama EMGINEERING DIVISION actually sent me a listing of all the RL411 or 2 liter Roadster starter piece parts that they still had in stock and asked which parts I wanted to rebuild my starter.  I orderd what I needed and am still driving with the factory starter [plus the parts Yokohama provided]. Service used to be a hallmark of the Datsun brand in America, Renault, with their usual Gallic inefficiency. ruined that!  French minds are different!  No insult intended to our Quebequoise members, My God Father is August Napoleon Bonaparte Doumaschell.  Informally, "Gussie", in the familly"Bonie".

hey bro, ive been coming across a lot of nos roadster parts in japan. contact me if you need some.

theyre expensive though....

I honestly pretty much disagree with all of you

so you go buy a Datsun bluebird sss? no you dont

you buy a Datsun Skyline? no you dont

you buy a Datsun fairlady z? um, no, you dont

that list could go on for ever.

those are all nissan products that were NOT under the datsun name, the fact is that nissan like usual, kept their best cars for the JDM (japanese domestic market) and brand named other cars that were not RHD that were less equiped Datsuns, basically so that stupid ass Americans would buy them

the name is nothing more, nothing less, in fact, a datsun is just an american nissan, every supposed datsun is designed by the nissan motor corporation, not the datsun corporation

whats a Fairlady z here? well its not a fairlady z, that name implied that its JDM and RHD, so that was NEVER a Datsun product, a fairlady z here is a 240/260/280z, neither was the BLUEBIRD SSS, it was a datsun 510, not available here in sss trim. the Hakosuka, has never been a Datsun, no Skyline, the brands Zenith marque, HAS EVER BEEN MARKETED UNDER THE NAME DATSUN. that in and of itself speaks volumes, they also never gave them to the United States, farther proving my point.

a Datsun is a cheaper version of a Nissan, sorry to inform all of you.

prior to this year, i had always thought that datsun was a 'jdm' name, if that makes any sense, not anymore of course.

when i look for 'datsun/dattosan/ダットサン" parts in japan, the majority of parts that come up are "USDM." all the other shit

is nissan.

also, as mentioned earlier, the name of the hardbody in japan is  "datsun." the nissan datsun. lol

• Like 1

and Kawasaki built virtually every seagoing vessel in the Japanese Imperial Navy  Kawasaki Heavy Industries, one of Japans largest corporations, then, before then , and now.

they also build most of Japans Nuclear Reactors.

and the dodge avenger was supposed to be used as a pace car at the indy 500 remember? but the UAW made a huge stink about it because the car was a rebranded Mitsubishi, and Mitsubishi built most of the planes for the Japanese in WWII

• Like 1

none of that is as bad as us (people in america) running the japanese imperial flag.

for a long time it was cool until it dawned to me that 'hey im in the navy' and if i ever

came on base with that, and some WWII vet or similar saw it... well i wouldnt want to

upset or disrespect him in that manner. especially if they had survived a kamikaze

attack, landed on a beach, lost friends/family, or anything like that.

now i know NONE of us would ever mean to do that and we are doing it specifically

because our cars are japanese, but i just cant see myself running those.

i had told that to my gf and she is taking a korean history class, and she told me how

the koreans still see that flag as horrible and offensive because of what it stood for back

in the day.

pretty much, the japanese imperial flag is very similar to the nazi swastika because of what

it stood for AT THAT TIME.

i would never personally trip on anybody like hainz or someone at a meet for it, but its

just a personal belief i adopted.

i know that was off topic and i usually try to keep that one specific opinion to myself but

i thought it was something relatable here.

• Like 1