1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

As of this morning, the Title is corrected to the car and the vehicle is titled/registered under my name.

That's a milestone - congratulations Cap!

I had to have my car smogged yesterday for registration renewal and my car now has 79K on it.  The smog tech told me it passed with flying colors and noted how low the emissions were!   

Ernie

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of broken...

IMAG0358_zps02702b59.jpg

IMAG0359_zpsa750dfdd.jpg

What I discovered is there are a few reasons that these consoles get so badly damaged. First, the front piece is attached to the back piece, and they have to come out together, So dont try to separate the two of them until its out of the car. Second, you have to take out the passenger seat to get it in and out because the seat is kind of wide. Third, the radio is pretty hard to get out if you dont remove the console. And lastly, old thin plastic.

So lots of fiberglass work for reinforcement.

IMAG0361_zps8eecae10.jpg

IMAG0362_zpscf129c59.jpg

IMAG0363_zpsf856aabf.jpg

Little bit of bondo for cracks.

IMAG0365_zpsc2ab6a00.jpg

IMAG0366_zpsff9c2fcc.jpg

And here she is after the first coat of SEM paint to the center.

IMAG0368_zps14007290.jpg

Installed

IMAG0371_zpsa846a748.jpg

IMAG0373_zps432004b8.jpg

Captain, nice job on the center console. Do you have the rubber boot/trim or whatever it is called for the parking brake slot?

Unfortunately no, I dont have that, nor the plastic insert under the handle, nor the pad in the bottom of the box. But the console is sturdy and has a new shift boot.........

I would like to figure a work around for this.

Ok the final piece of info for correctly converting the 910/Maxima from Auto to 5 speed.

The clutch switch must be changed to a brake switch, the clutch switch is on when the pedal is not pushed, the brake is on when the pedal is pushed. The auto has an inhibitor relay which must be on for the car to start, but off for the cruise control to work. To make it give power to the starter, you must provide it with a closed circut from the inhibitor switch on the auto (or the clutch switch in our case) So instead of using the clutch switch, you use a brake switch in its place, they are the same size and thread.

Brake on left clutch on right, $10.99 at Autozone.

IMAG0408_zps080c88ff.jpg