1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have picked up a 280zx Turbo 3.54 R200, and the axles that go with it. The stock differential is an R180, and its also a 3.7, so going with smaller tires will throw my speedo off even more. The speedo is off already because I swapped from auto to manual and the manual has a 3.54.

In order to install this all you have to do is modify the rear diff mount for the slightly longer diff cover.

D7988858-483D-4F27-9E0E-2AC9CD1076AC_zps

Info here:

http://aussiebluebirds.com/index.php?topic=448.0

I have picked up a 280zx Turbo 3.54 R200, and the axles that go with it. The stock differential is an R180, and its also a 3.7, so going with smaller tires will throw my speedo off even more. The speedo is off already because I swapped from auto to manual and the manual has a 3.54.

In order to install this all you have to do is modify the rear diff mount for the slightly longer diff cover.

D7988858-483D-4F27-9E0E-2AC9CD1076AC_zps

Info here:

http://aussiebluebirds.com/index.php?topic=448.0

Please take some pics when you fit this to your car.  I picked up a whole 82 zxt and will be taking the diff out of it as well to put in my maxima.  

• Like 1

Ill do you one better, for whatever it costs me, I will make you a new mount if you send me one. Easier to make 3 at once than just one. I already said the same to Jorgensen, and I am gonna PM him about it too.

I'm down.  When do you plan on making them?  I'll just need a little notice because the z is still on my car trailer, and I am not exactly sure when I am going to pull the rear end out.  Can the proper mount be purchased new?  Or maybe I'll try to get one off of a part out car...do you know what year cars use the mount that will work for us?

Needs moar lowar though.

Honestly, I wouldn't go more than 1/2" from where it is, unless you stiffen it up a bit. With those soft stock springs it won't be much fun to drive lower than that. Any rubbing the way it is now?

I think yours is right about where mine was, and it would rub a bit with 4 people in it...

maxine~0.jpg

• Like 2

205/50 on a 15x7 +15 rear and 15x6.5 +15 front. Going lower shouldnt be a problem, there is tons of room in these cars for large wheels and low.

Okay that gives me hope for mine.  My wheels are wider than yours but also a higher offset.  How close are your tires to rubbing your struts front and rear?

Not close at all. In front easily a couple inches. In the rear I got at least 2 inches before the tire hits the control arm, and 3 inches before it hits the shock. You could easily put a 225 or maybe even a 235 in the rear. In front your steering angle will cause problems if you go too wide. Not sure how wide though.

205/50 on a 15x7 +15 rear and 15x6.5 +15 front. Going lower shouldnt be a problem, there is tons of room in these cars for large wheels and low.

Okay that gives me hope for mine.  My wheels are wider than yours but also a higher offset.  How close are your tires to rubbing your struts front and rear?

FWIW, mine were 15x6.5 +27 with 205/55-15 tires. Only rubbed in the rear, and then only if I had it loaded down. 

Thats a good looking goon though.

Thanks! I miss it sometimes. So slow, yet so classy.   B)

FWIW, mine were 15x6.5 +27 with 205/55-15 tires. Only rubbed in the rear, and then only if I had it loaded down. 

Thanks! I miss it sometimes. So slow, yet so classy.   B)

Where were you rubbing in the rear.  I will also be running a 15 but mine are 8" wide in the rear with a similar offset.  I am hoping you were just rubbing up in the fender arches from the suspension being compressed....also I am not familiar enough with the differences in the wagon and sedan to know if they require the same wheel/tire specs

I am looking for some advice on what I should do to have the pest performing suspensino and get 1.5 inches lower. I have alot of ideas but no clear direction and there is so much information to wade through about the different options I am just not sure which way to go right now. 

I am looking into inserts, tube shortening, and adjustable spring kits, but I just dont know yet. All advice is appreciated and will be put to good use.

Like the Volks gamez!  Like the other wheels on the wagon too, are those off a Mitsubishi?  Can't tell.  Haven't gotten my bullshit replica wheels yet. :(  But I'm going to like them when I do!  :D

Well, it looks like you may get your wish Gamez!  They only found 3 of the 4 wheels, so I'm trying to find something else from them, but so far all the rest are out of stock.  Which means I may just end up cancelling the whole order.  Suck monkey!  Guess the Datsun gods don't want me to have them either! ;)