1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

Did they cut well? I am facing the same conundrum. I got the 300ZX bushings because I was assured they fit the 280ZX crossmember. They do not.   ^_^

I got the Prothane ones and they cut pretty well, even on the crappy little harbor freight lathe, actually grabbing from the inside with that tiny chuck made it easier probably. If they are pretty hard then they will cut well. The durometer on the Prothane ones is 82A I believe.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to insult your intelligence, but did you tighten the bolt enough?  I've found you have to tighten the banjo bolts more than you want to, as in it feels like it's going to strip.  That usually crushes the copper quite nicely.

• Like 1

Not to insult your intelligence, but did you tighten the bolt enough?  I've found you have to tighten the banjo bolts more than you want to, as in it feels like it's going to strip.  That usually crushes the copper quite nicely.

I feel that you may be right. Normally with most crush based systems the idea is that you dont want to put a lot of torque on the bolt, just enough for it to seat and seal. But in this case it seems that the surface may be compromised and needing me to apply more than normal torque. I believe I did get it to seal (maybe.....) but now I am having issued bleeding, looks like I am gonna have to get a vacuum bleeder.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ray. I havent updated in a while because I havent done very much. I am having the transmission rebuilt soon, and then there will be much to report on because hwen it goes in, the suspension goes on and the diff and a custom driveshaft and the bushings ect, ect. So stay tuned. But I just daily the car and it gives me very few problems. I believe she needs a valve adjustment, but I havent had time recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a few things I forgot to update to this thread. I cleaned and repainted the diff and sealed it with a new gasket, hardware, and seals. I showed that I built a billet mount for the differential. It uses a common poly bushing. I do not know for sure yet that this works. We will find out when the rear end is bolted up. Then if it does work I can make one for other 910 users. I also had to get a rebuilt rear left axle for the drivetrain swap.

I also got the transmission rebuild done. Its got all new high quality bearings and synchros. Only thing left for the drivetrain is to make a one piece driveshaft and bolt everything in. It will be about an inch lower after this is all completed. I think I am gonna get a chrome Hurst short shifter with a white Hurst ball. It takes a standard Mustang T5 shifter.

435DEA45-932A-4686-8352-1D5B8D231E8A_zps

720EEB90-6A3F-4BF5-A0DA-140D6466639D_zps

337C6D9C-3016-4B3E-812E-D9EBB4481B9C_zps

E8F9EF20-CBCD-4F30-B315-2D419F6598A2_zps

4E48D2C5-244D-4FD7-97B0-5B3EE6B0937B_zps

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well its been a fun two weeks. I installed a large quantity of new parts.

First was the suspension. We did the standard AGX dampers from an MR2 in cut, welded, and gusseted shock tubes with Eibach springs and Project Mu camber plates.

For the rear I simply used the OEM top hats and a pair of Tanabe coilovers from a 240sx. One strut is in only so so condition so the pair will be replaced soon with another custom setup.

IMAG0035_zpspas4xa8w.jpg

IMAG0040_zps29aosb9f.jpg

IMG951833_zpszx4bokih.jpg

Next was to install the T5, R200, Axles, and have a one piece driveshaft built.

The T5 fits in a 4 speed auto car without a hitch, but I feel it would be quite a challenge to get in there if the car was originally a manual transmission from factory. As I have said many times before, the tunnel for 4 speed automatic cars is much larger than the tunnel for manual, and 3 speed automatic cars. Also the shifter hole for the manual cars is much much smaller, and will also cause a problem. The one minor issue I ran into was that the shifter hole needed to be cut about 1/2" on the rear side to make it easier to get the shifter plate into the car. It can be done from under with a wrench, but you really dont want to if your going through all this work. Only other difference is that the transmission mount holes on the T5 are farther back. Same spacing, just 30mm towards the rear

I could not get pictures of the new driveline in the car. I will, but I am going to have to get the car on the lift to take them. I had to do all this on the ground for lack of a lift. I totally forgot to take a picture of the new driveshaft. She was a beauty though. I was told it would hold over 550 FT-LB with these yokes, but thats a substantial amount more than this car will ever make.Also i would like to replace the ugly, tiny stock exhaust first before I show off. Ha ha ha.

The driveshaft must fit 1005mm and a 26 spline with 1.377 output shaft seal I.D. , and the rear yoke must fit a Nissan 1.962 center hole.

Next was the rear end. I had alot of reservations about the 280zx Turbo diff fitting. Luckily with good measuring and the Turbo axles, it fits with no issues at all. You have two options for the mount, and thats the onnly modification you need to do.

1: cut the original mount where it offsets, flip it, and weld it back together. or

2: you make a billet one piece mount like I did. I can provide you with specs if you need them.

I was not financially able right now to get the LSD installed, but I will buy another diff and do it in the future, probably around the time of the turbo install.

Here is a picture of the difference in size, R180 VS R200.

IMAG0087_zpsgz8ygq9i.jpg

A note on this drivetrain setup if you need a driveshaft. If you plan on changing diff/trans components in the future, but you need a driveshaft made now........Get the shaft made for the stock manual trans and diff. The output shaft and input flange sit in the exact same place on FS5/T5 and R180/R200, so if you have a good driveshaft builder, he can build you a shaft, and then if you change a component he can just change the input/output on THAT yoke.

If I wanted to go back to stock components I could still use this driveshaft, But I would need to take it back to the shop that built it and have them change whichever (or both) sides to match for like $50.