1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every time it starts the volt guage goes well above 12v, I am fairly sure it was the battery, I got a new one and it starts and runs perfect. Such a simple thing for me to overlook honestly. I have been working a LOT lately though, so my mind has not been totally on cars.

I am not gonna start on the timing kit though, the damper sliders are GONE, lol

The Max is back up and running, better than ever!!, The chain was stretched about a half link longer than the new one, not much, but it is definitely running noticeably better and this is the only thing I did.

And now the AC, I got a new Reveiver/dryer the other day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately no, I dont have that, nor the plastic insert under the handle, nor the pad in the bottom of the box. But the console is sturdy and has a new shift boot.........

I would like to figure a work around for this.

let me know what you need I've stripped 2 maxims at my local pick n pull. got a set of tail lights but payed over 100 for the because of the "tax" and electrical items -.-

• 2 weeks later...

The AC is now working and I will be riding in style, cold. This system is huge for such a small car, 2.4 lb (%85 of that with the R134)

I flushed all the lines and the condensor, and cleaned all the ends with alcohol.

I installed the new retrofit gaskets and got a new desiccant tank.

I used no leak stop or anything, I used plain Ester oil, no charge can, added the specified amount to the lines and a good bit to the compressor low side.

Vacuumed the system for an hour.

Filled with the cheapest R-134a I got in a value pack at walmart.

Shit is cold, and the thing could use another half can still!!

Why are all good steering wheels made in Italy?

Is this rhetorical?  ^_^

But seriously, some good ones made in Japan, too. And to borrow a stereotype, the Japanese wheels are well made but very utilitarian, while the Italians aren't quite as well made but gorgeous...   :wub:

• Like 1

Is this rhetorical?  ^_^

But seriously, some good ones made in Japan, too. And to borrow a stereotype, the Japanese wheels are well made but very utilitarian, while the Italians aren't quite as well made but gorgeous...   :wub:

Italian = "Form over Function".  It looks good, maybe it will last.

Keep your eye on the pull and saves, bound to show up sooner or later.  I'm getting a set of 15" 280zx snowflakes tomorrow.  Not my favorite wheel, but will hold race rubber, that's all that matters.

Why no stop leak?

I wanted to find out if it needed it before I used it. The less additives, the better.

System is working GREAT! so far, and no sign of leaks yet. I also figured if anything leaks it will be the compressor and at 30 years old I would just replace it.

Now I am waiting for it to get hot here.

Stop leak is bad stuff.  Only use if you REALLY need to.  Wonder where it all goes after it finds the leak?  It generally piles in a corner of the block behind the freeze plugs and eventually rots them out.  I dug out I don't know how much crap from the water jacket on the hardbody when I finally found the oozing freeze plug.

• Like 1

That is usually my thought as well. I just figured I would replace the leaky component. Everything  but the service items (service valves, dessicant tank, expansion valve, orings) is original and running awesome, its starting to get hot here and it cools awesome. But there is a catch, It engine temp starts to get a little warm when sitting. It is not too bad yet, but it will get worse as it gets really hot here. This is surely happening because I have no fan shroud and I am running the air conditioning. I am not thinking I dont need it, I know damn well I need it haha. The shroud does not fit after I got a new radiator though, so I am going to convert to electric fans. I am trying to figure out a dual fan setup, I think that will be the best route. One will run when the engine gets hot, one will run when the AC is turned on. I want to do it with temp switches so I dont have to have any switches on the interior for fans.

So the search for wheels continues, I was supposed to get Enkei 92s today, and the guy has had them for sale for a month, and sold them out from under me. after I called and conrfirmed a time yesterday. I am really getting quite tired of this and cant find a set of decent wheels.

• 2 weeks later...