1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, they will be on by the end of next month. I am going to refinish them completely. I am debating over black of silver powdercoating for the centers. They have a little curb rash I need to fix before polishing them and reassembling, but not bad for 30 year old Volk Racing Mesh.

Their 15x7 +15

Heres some more pics.

I started to work on them.

EFD9A97F-B6F7-49AE-A04A-B0476FA2815B_zps

F2FEA433-826D-48CA-90E0-0DE44CAF5348_zps

3D2B70F2-AC50-477D-88FA-C413667710BF_zps

• Like 1

How does A/C stop leak get into the block? And is the factory stop leak bad stuff?

he was talking about stop leak products in general, specifically the coolant stop leak. The same logic applies, it would likely sit in the bottom of the pump or somewhere else that it doesnt get much flow. The point is that you dont use it unless you have to. I didnt need it, would I somehow have been better off using a product that was entirely unnccessary inside a pressurized system??

I am debating over black or silver powdercoating for the centers

I'd steer you towards silver. Those centers are a beautiful design. Be a shame to make them black and lose all that.   B)

Or like a gunmetal gray maybe? Something that looks good against the silver car but doesn't lose the detail?

Did these Epsilons in a gunmetal and I dig the way they turned out...

Eps.jpg

• Like 3

Those look great. I think if I do a grey though then I want to do black hardware for a contrast look. But black hardware is like $200 as opposed to $120 so I am on the ropes with colors still. I am taking the rest of the wheels apart today. I have all the bolts loose on the remaining 3 except one single bold that has a messed up head that was not made right. So I have to find out a way to get that bolt off before I have all the centers out and ready for coating.

Does it really matter if the centers go back with the barrel they came from?

I got some new front 5.25" components today from the craigslist. Brand new in box, just old stock. The Maxima comes with an 8 speaker component clarion system stock, so this is a direct replacement for it. I have the woofers installed already, I am going to install the tweeters and crossovers this week. They woofers sound great already though.

5684DBDD-7D79-4F30-9773-6730372443D8_zps

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats a no.

Essentially if Rockauto doesnt have it, your not going to find it from anyone that uses main suppliers.

Can you rebuild an AC clutch? What causes one not to grab? The ac is cold as hell, and getting a new compressor wont help, they come with no clutch, all of them.

• 2 months later...

Holy crap no update for nearly two months!!!! we must fix this.

I have be mega busy and caught off guard from the whole wheel debacle, still never got money back for the bolts. But I have slowly been working on the car, just not things that are on the car currently so much.

I fixed the AC, ended up being a seized idler bearing not the clutch, it was just acting so odd there for a while, but no hiccups for the last month what so ever.

My starter died, about 3 weeks ago, I replaced it and the new one is ALREADY giving me the same exact problem as the last one, and yes I am sure it is the starter, not the ignition switch.

My transmission actually sounds exactly like a box of marbles. So I started tearing down the Borg Warner T5 for rebuilding I was told its colse to 300,000 miles, but you couldnt tell from looking inside the thing. Everything is in great condition, even the blocker rings (synchros), you could have told me it only has 100000 miles on it and I would believe you. Bearings are even nice.

0C96FC74-982F-45CA-8475-C7989AD421FD_zps

73EBB7C6-3619-4147-BA74-2EE3E1B97903_zps

All the pads are intact on the forks.

93633E3B-ED43-48C2-89A6-259358BDF147_zps

Bell and tail housing  ready for the hot tank, I am sending the center housing in too, but I am debating on whether or not to disassemble the lower gearset or leave it in and wash it all together and then disassemble and clean after washing. Any suggestions on transmission work always appreciated.

6C286618-A60B-4947-AC0C-9A8192A32A03_zps

New shift knob!!, courtesy of the Horizontal machining center and the recycling bin at work!

95187010-9FA5-44FF-B84F-5F41968C53FB_zps

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just dug around on prolink, I can't find an ac compressor or clutch available.  I'm pretty sure you can still have them rebuilt, but you're likely going to have to send the whole compressor back to A1 Cardone for that.  Might take a month.   It seems all the new style compressors are serpentine belts.

However, I looked up a hardbody compressor, they go all the way back to 1985 720, and more importantly they're single v belt clutches.  I'm pretty sure they would fit on your Maxima compressor, but again, you'd have to have someone do it who had the tools and access to the clutch by itself as opposed to the entire unit.  I don't show just a clutch available from NAPA.  Here's the hardbody part number in case you want to take a gander.  254217  (TEM) line code.

My new Maxima doesn't have working ac.  It's all there, but the clutch doesn't cycle on.  Not sure if lack of pressure yet or what, but it would be nice to fix that.  I suppose I may just retrofit something too.  But fixing existing would be easier.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was trolling craigslist and I found these.

24EDEB19-39B0-401F-BB85-D84AB9FA0DB2_zps

A0CCDA74-F0D9-4C20-A1E7-7CC42CB515DE_zps

They are vintage Recaro LX-B Idealseats. I bought them from the original owner, who purchased them for $1800 from Recaro in 1991. He used them in various cars over a 5 year period and then had them completely reupholstered. He put them in another car in 2002 and took them out in 2004 and put them in bags then pulled them out a month ago and listed them on craigslist. So the upholstery is only 1.5 years old. They are in mint condition essentially, very firm bolsters and very nice upholstery. They make the car, they change the entire way I look at my car. Best part is that they mount on the stock rails with some minor modding. I picked them up for a stupid low price.

7CEACC68-EC5D-476E-8084-3C3D6A811281_zps

And the car today.

8D6328F9-3837-4369-ABE6-FB96370B8BBF_zps

• Like 3