1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

Alright I got the hoses, I ended up buying Dayco hose #s 87618 and 87756 (the one with the quick disconnect). I had to cut both down to fit correctly. I got them all on though and it looks likt it is going to fit almost exact.

And I figured out the grommet, Thanks to the Z31 forum.  The grommet is Toyota part #90480-01405, I might have to make the hole in the firewall about an eighth inch bigger around, but it apparently fits exact on a z31. The holes line up exactly with the water tube.

IMG_2602_zps67bd7d4a.jpg

IMG_2605_zps71591d1b.jpg

IMG_2608_zps4c2d53d6.jpg

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is not a fun job Ernie, but it is a lot easier than some cars, My 02 Civic SI is absolutely ridiculous to pull the dash, the shifter is mounted in the dash. If you do decide to eventually do it, I recommend restoring the heater box with new flapper foam. I washed mine in a dishwasher along with all my HVAC ducting in the dishwasher, and by hand with degreaser. I have a son who is only a year old, If I want to feel good about having him in this car, I need to have a sanitary interior with a disinfected air system. And in AZ, you gotta have AC. I dont understand how people do it without to be frank, its just too damn hot in the summer.

If you do ever do the dash, at least this thread should make it a bit easier, lol.

I have more updates coming, I moved into a new house over the last week, so the 910 is in a new home, and is much happier than my old nasty garage. I got the heater/control box installed and the defroster vents in. I need to get the evaporator core cleaned and installed, which is a bunch of sitting there with a wire removing grit and grime piece by piece. After that is done, the fan goes in and then the dash goes in.

nice work & SCORE on that rear window seal.!!!

question.... about your dome light .... does it act like a normal switch, meaning, push it once it comes on, push it again it goes off or does it only stay on while pushing on it & holding it down.? (if that makes sense)

That is a very good question.

To my understanding, it works off the lighting timer unit, its a momentary button that goes to the timer under the driver seat that tells it to go on and turn off when the button is pressed again. The timer also apparently controls the door lights and dims the lights after you close the door and stuff like that. Let me check the manual to make sure of this....(Edit: I confirmed this correct in SM)

This car has a few cool gizmos like that though, the half mast antenna for example,... More to come on that one....

Yes it was!  

Nissan Maxima

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1981–1984[edit] First generation G910 series 280px-1st-Nissan-Maxima.jpg Overview Also called Datsun 810 (until 1983) Production 1981–1984 Body and chassis Body style
Layout FR layout Related Nissan Bluebird 910 Powertrain Engine
Transmission

The first car to wear the Maxima name was introduced in 1980 for the 1981 model year. It was essentially a Japanese-market Bluebird 910 with a 3.9 in (99 mm) longer nose to accommodate the inline-six engine. The 810 Maxima was not sold in Japan. The car was offered as the 810 Deluxe or 810 Maxima that first year, and all 810s became Maximas for 1982. In 1984, the last year of the first generation Maxima, American Datsuns began carrying the "Nissan" badge as well (only 1984 Nissans have both "Nissan" and "Datsun" on the back of the car).

"One interesting fact about this car is its phonograph-based voice warning system. Warnings like those for a door being open, etc. would be relayed through the mini phonograph and played for the driver to hear. A common thing to hear would be, "door is open, key is in ignition." 1981 models were the first 'talking car' sold in the US and offered only one voice warning, a female voice reminding the driver that the "Lights are on."

Check out the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LSn6qmtNQ

Ernie

• Like 2

I have two evaporator cores, cause they are NLA. I got the second one from a car at Ecology. My first one looked slightly suspect, as the styrofoam insulation in the evaporator box in my car was melted in some areas. The one I pulled from ecology was a bit cleaner initially too.

This one is pretty gross, but if you think this is gross, you shoulda seen the one that came outta my car, it was disgusting.

022_zps4c3a8b8f.jpg

Cleaned, used two cans of Home Depot coil cleaner. I installed the new expansion valve and the box grommet. I wrapped the sensing bulb with butyl tape, Similar to Dynamat.

IMAG0230_zpsaa9626c4.jpg

And here is the back with the sensor wire for the switching unit. The box is ready to go in the car.

IMAG0232_zpsd96ed3c8.jpg

On non-AC models, there was a tube that replaces the box which contains the evaporator. I wouldnt have done all this until summer, but it is impossible to find the non-AC tube in Arizona.