1984 Datsun Maxima 910 Project.

ITBs are sweet and definitly more costly, getting the ITB setup on will probably cost as much as tuning it, tuners hate ITBs.

I have been working on an ITB system for the Toyota 7MGE with my buddy who has a supra for a while now. Everyone loves to hate on 7Ms, funny that HKS got 400hp on one, NATURALLY ASPIRATED WITH ITBs!!!!!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not sure. it said complete motor! i will post a link later.

also where can i get oem interior pars?

and this might be a stupid question but i have a stock rb25det manifold laying around...does anyone know if it will fit a l series?

NO, the best intake for these cars is the non-EGR intake from 1975. Somewhat rare item, I have the next best thing, the 76-early78 intake that has no webbing and larger port runners.

Our intake manifold is a little small and restrictive, but it also gives the Maxima a butt ton of torque due to the faster air flow from it being physically smaller.

Can the l24 be boosted? Mine only has 100k ms runs great.

Only problem is a ticking sound that varies in loudness different days. Sometimes a slight tick and sometimes sounds like rod knock. I've been running cleaners through the oil, intake and fuel to try to clean the motor out (car was sitting for six years) I noticed yesterday when I ran seafoam through the intake the sound went away but this morning was back. Any ideas? Maybe stuck valve? Thanks for the help!

Can the l24 be boosted? Mine only has 100k ms runs great.

Only problem is a ticking sound that varies in loudness different days. Sometimes a slight tick and sometimes sounds like rod knock. I've been running cleaners through the oil, intake and fuel to try to clean the motor out (car was sitting for six years) I noticed yesterday when I ran seafoam through the intake the sound went away but this morning was back. Any ideas? Maybe stuck valve? Thanks for the help!

Could be a number of things, valve adjustment if it's a steady ticking (valve chatter), rod knock would be louder check your bottom end you might have to take the front of the engine apart, try moving the crankshaft by hand. I suggest not to run so many cleaners especially on an old engine. Seafoam should be enough for a one time use. Take the valve cover off and start it up and pay attention to the valves.

To answer your first question yes the L24E can be boosted you will need everything from a L28ET, ECU, wiring harness, intake manifold, injectors, J-pipe, turbo, turbo manifold. You need to drill a hole on the oil pan for the oil drain line.

You can make a manifold for the turbo, that's the easy part.  Factory compression was 8.9:1 so good to go for boost.  The problem is they used 8mm rod bolts from '81 on, mainly because the Maximas got the pussy 2.4l.  They only make 120 hp in the EFI version.  Less than the dual SU setup of the 240z.  I've already considered boosting but I would get a set of rods from an earlier L24 to begin with, or have the current rods milled out to accept 9mm rod bolts like all the rest of the L motors.

Can the L24E be boosted - Of course, all engines can be boosted, its just how much boost. how much spark, and howmuch control over the two you have

Can I boost the engine in stock form- Yes, but dont, please do it the right way. You need Megasquirt or something of the like for an engine management system, larger injectors and better spark control, or at very least a piggy back system to prevent blowing holes through the pistons.

As HRH said, weakest point is the rods, even on the L28ET turbo engine, the rods are the weak point, I recommend anyone turboing use ARP rod bolts or again as HRH said, older 240Z rods. I still recommend using the ARP fasteners though, even though the early L24s had 9mm bolts.

The best thing about an L24E is that is has a great head design, 8.9:1 compression ratio, and a lot of torque

You need an exhaust manifold from a 280zx turbo, no getting around that, unless your a mega baller and can have one fabricated.I priced it out, $1200 is a great price.

and yeah you CAN buy a generic turbo kit, I reccomend against that as well.

Reason 1- The Nissan turbo is made by Garrett Airresearch, you are not going to get a better or more reliable turbo for less than $1000, unless you get a Holset HX35, in which case, you will absolutely need good fuel and spark control.

Reason 2 - it will do 250hp

Reason 3 - not buying turbos from the chinese, I have literally seen them blow up.

Reason 4, FMICs are gonna be hard as hell to fit in a Maxima, im trying to figure this out right now...

Can the L24E be boosted - Of course, all engines can be boosted, its just how much boost. how much spark, and howmuch control over the two you have

Can I boost the engine in stock form- Yes, but dont, please do it the right way. You need Megasquirt or something of the like for an engine management system, larger injectors and better spark control, or at very least a piggy back system to prevent blowing holes through the pistons.

As HRH said, weakest point is the rods, even on the L28ET turbo engine, the rods are the weak point, I recommend anyone turboing use ARP rod bolts or again as HRH said, older 240Z rods. I still recommend using the ARP fasteners though, even though the early L24s had 9mm bolts.

The best thing about an L24E is that is has a great head design, 8.9:1 compression ratio, and a lot of torque

You need an exhaust manifold from a 280zx turbo, no getting around that, unless your a mega baller and can have one fabricated.I priced it out, $1200 is a great price.

and yeah you CAN buy a generic turbo kit, I reccomend against that as well.

Reason 1- The Nissan turbo is made by Garrett Airresearch, you are not going to get a better or more reliable turbo for less than $1000, unless you get a Holset HX35, in which case, you will absolutely need good fuel and spark control.

Reason 2 - it will do 250hp

Reason 3 - not buying turbos from the chinese, I have literally seen them blow up.

Reason 4, FMICs are gonna be hard as hell to fit in a Maxima, im trying to figure this out right now...

Can the l24 be boosted?

Here's one idea this is a L28ET in a 82 Maxima. I almost bought this too it was located in Portland and it was at Canby 2012.

3000BB2F-847A-44C4-9FBC-0EAFA4DA643D-602

81DA8167-DC50-45F4-B8C9-C488B0868745-602