Shelby 500

Well it was an interesting weekend for me. I was in Calgary for my grand daughter's first birthday and one of the family owns a '12 Shelby 500 with mods. The only thing I could find close to it is a Super Snake option that boost output from 550 to 800 and removes the warranty.

RorysfirstBday057Large.jpg

Mrs D

RorysfirstBday061Large.jpg

RorysfirstBday058Large.jpg

RorysfirstBday059Large.jpg

Monster water cooled supercharger. The owner claims just under 1000 hp so maybe more was done to it. This is not cheap so if he has this he may have had more done to it.

This is the most insane car I have ever driven. The acceleration is absolutely brutal, brutal!... and instantly there in every gear. (6 speed) The owner claims speeds of over 190, fuck me I'm a believer. I have no idea what the gauges were reading, I was too terrified to take my eyes off the road. If the acceleration is wild the brakes might be even better... like throwing out an anchor.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/new_york/2011/1104_2012_shelby_mustang_gt500_super_snake/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha I just took it around the block. Oh yeah the 'blocks' outside Calgary are a couple of miles in a side. No way I want one. My son in law and I took it. The owner said shrug take it, have fun. We probably pussied out but we came back ok. 800+ hp makes some awesome exhaust sound too

Back in '72 I drove the 'state of the art' (at that time) '71 Ford Boss 429 Mustang belonging to a co worker. It had a lot of go.

Previously I and another co worker rolled over his '65 Mustang fastback. It was a 289 /271 hp. Gees I guess I have some history with Mustangs, never thought of it before. Damn the early Mustangs didn't weigh anything.

All this conversation reminds me of a '73 Challenger a friend and I built after it was passed down from his dad. Cordoba 360 bored .30 over, big cam, tall intake, big carb, etc. Scariest 0-60 car I've ever driven. It ha a stock torqueflite 3-speed and a 4.10 rear gear, so it would pull all the way to about 100mph before it reached the end of the power band. BRUTAL. But a terrible 1/4 mile car because of the rear gear. Great 1/8th times though. 

All that power and I bet that GT500 can't turn for shit, don't get me wrong there bad ass cars but if I was to buy a ford ever it would be a Ford GT rwd, mid engine, 550hp. My dad owns a 2002 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged Supercrew.

736C1294-037B-4DC0-8A86-0656829A0E49-271

ford has stepped their game up in recent years, I have been impressed none the least. and I am not a domestic person by any means.

but I am waiting for the 2014 or 15 model, whichever the next generation is. it is going to have a v6 ecoboost and independent rear suspension, very exciting. no mo big ol v8 gaschugger.

what is reallll funny is when I take the GT and normal mustang guys on the freeway with my civic si, no traffic straight line, and I am smoked......until 113 mph, then the governor kicks in and the mustangs fall flat on their face. and zoom, straight by them, SI's dont have a governor, mine will do about 140. the mustang will do a good solid 150 but, removing the governor voids the warranty.

now if theres traffic, its no competition for me, my suspension is too well tuned.

My moms car is a 2000 mustang GT I drove that when I got my license and I can tell you 135mph was the top speed on it there was no power after that. It launched pretty quick for a heavy car smoked all the honduhs and neon srt4. For having 260hp and 350lbs of torque wasn't bad I'm just not a domestic car guy but I respect a lot of well built ones. Ford has stepped it up big time with the mustangs and trucks. Me and my dad test drove a pre-owned ecoboost f-150 supercrew with 50,000 miles damn the power on that thing was amazing for a big truck. Pulled harder than my dads Harley davidson and that thing has 340hp makes like 420lbs or torque.

So what does HD have to do with trucks? HD will whore out their name to anybody or anything.

Yes this 300+hp 'upgrade' automatically voids any warranty. The owner is loaded as near as I can tell. There is this annoying cell phone ringing sound which I thought was a radar detector but it went off every time the boost got 'up there' not that I dared to take my eyes off the road, but would go off like an alarm. He said it was some kind of radar jamming technology with four corner radar detectors in the bumpers (or something) and would scramble any police detector. It was integrated into the boost or speed sensor and came on any time you got carried away in the moment. I have no idea what this shit is about or even if there is such a thing. If you had the money, is there something that hi tech, and probably illegal, for jamming a police lazer radar thingie? 

The rear tires were like a super bike tire. Wide and bald and like a rain tire but almost no grooves. Almost a slick

• Like 1

Idk it's on my dads truck some kind of special edition pretty much a 2002 F150 with HD badge, supercharger, 20" wheels, grill, paint job, interior and headlights. A step down from the ford lightning I'm not fasinated with them but they do drive pretty nice.

id be pretty embarrassed to drive a truck around with HD on it.  you might as well be one of those guys driving around with a transformers logo.

i was also a little unimpressed by the gauge set up on the shelby.  it looks too cheap for such a beastly car

I bet that was an awesome ride! I have driven a bone stock one when I worked at a Ford dealer, and DAMN! Can't imagine a modded one! If I ever hit the lottery, I will own a GT500.

id be pretty embarrassed to drive a truck around with HD on it.  you might as well be one of those guys driving around with a transformers logo.

i was also a little unimpressed by the gauge set up on the shelby.  it looks too cheap for such a beastly car

No embarrassment for me, It ain't my truck that's my dad he just liked the look of it don't think he even cared for the supercharger since he never steps on it, It was just the top of the line truck ford was offering back in 2001 when he bought it.  Don't think my dad even knows what Harley Davidson really is he just got it for him.  He really wanted a lightning but he wanted something with more doors so he bought the HD, his money!