32/36 weber question.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stock l16?  and im assuming in a 510?

small gain in horse power (moar fuel/air little more power)  

you will lose mpg tho.. not sure how much, i had a 32/36 on an l20b and got about 24-27 mpg maybe a little less,  free way with a dogleg in 5th going about 60-65 

If you do go with one check your timing with the vacuum advance hooked up, at high RPMs some Weber 32/36 vacuum port will hold vacuum all the way to top end without backing off. If this is happening your total end timing will be way to high and you can burn a piston. I only use mechanical advance.

stock l16? and im assuming in a 510?

small gain in horse power (moar fuel/air little more power)

you will lose mpg tho.. not sure how much, i had a 32/36 on an l20b and got about 24-27 mpg maybe a little less, free way with a dogleg in 5th going about 60-65

Sorry forgot too say I have a l20 on my 510

You MAY lose mileage.  You MAY gain it.  It all depends on jetting, driving habits, but more importantly the condition of the Hitachi being replaced.

I've had gains on 3 out of 4 Datsuns.  Loss on one, maybe a second but not enough info to tell.   But in every case I was replacing a Hitachi that leaked, were usually warped or had stripped screws, and were generally in 200,000 mile condition.  I got better mileage with a 38 outlaw vs a Hitachi on one truck... should tell you how bad that Hitachi was.  It wasn't even the right Hitachi either.

On mine, performance always improved.  However off-the-line will require different pedal discipline.  You can't just mash the pedal with a 32/36.  Not unless you want a stumble every time.  There are ways to correct that in a Weber, but factory webers are never set right, so you get a delay.  Hitachis generally didn't have that issue because the secondary was vacuum operated and won't open from idle to WOT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Webers, anybody ever buy from Webercarbsdirect? I'm in the market for a 32/36.  I think I want a manual choke because I've heard there can be issues with the electric choke version -- but that might just be folklore.

Amazon price for a 32/36 is $289, Webercarbsdirect is $200.  !!! Nevermind, I re-compared the ads, the price diff is between the carb only and the carb and adapter kit.  Same price from Amazon and Webercarbsdirect.

just get them for the cheapest you can, as long as they come in full.

i bought my dgev brand new from ebay, seller "allautomotive" for 192 shipped for free

i 'upgraded' from an existing dgev set up to a new one because i got tired of messing

with the old one and wanted to start fresh with one that was tuned/set up from the factory.

buy a dgev, (E stands for electric choke) 

you tap into any wire that gets power when you turn the key to 'ign' 

the problem here is that if you turn the key to ign but dont start the car, (example, if you were just

sitting in the car listening to the radio)

the electric choke is still getting that power and the coil that is within the e choke will heat up 

and then eventually "deactivate" itself aka the choke will open. 

and when you actually start up the car, the choke will be open because its already been heated up

so if youre in a situation where you actually needed the choke, like on a cold day, youll have

start up problems. 

so as long as you keep that in mind youll have no problemo!

just get them for the cheapest you can, as long as they come in full.

i bought my dgev brand new from ebay, seller "allautomotive" for 192 shipped for free

i 'upgraded' from an existing dgev set up to a new one because i got tired of messing

with the old one and wanted to start fresh with one that was tuned/set up from the factory.

buy a dgev, (E stands for electric choke) 

you tap into any wire that gets power when you turn the key to 'ign' 

the problem here is that if you turn the key to ign but dont start the car, (example, if you were just

sitting in the car listening to the radio)

the electric choke is still getting that power and the coil that is within the e choke will heat up 

and then eventually "deactivate" itself aka the choke will open. 

and when you actually start up the car, the choke will be open because its already been heated up

so if youre in a situation where you actually needed the choke, like on a cold day, youll have

start up problems. 

so as long as you keep that in mind youll have no problemo!

Wow. Never thought about that. Good stuff bro.

when listing to the radio one should thurn the key to ACC.

I also heard of IGN modules or coils going bad on other manf cars when key is in the ON sand not the ACC mode. Heateing them up thus = failure.

never heard it on Datsuns though

when putting a DGV on a L20 the tall aircleaner may hit the hood and its noisier due to the type of airfilter. If your a kid it sould COOL!!!!!!!!

as being older now I like the stock air cleaner and queit mufflers

• 3 weeks later...

He he, everyone asks about that. Intake adapter is a complete custom fabrication based on a rain gutter to extension tube adapter with lots of acrylic and Bondo. Yep, you read right. Lots of fabrication and it was a P.I.T.A and I wouldn't do it again. Here is the link:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26747-the-greengoon-build-thread/page-3

Speaking of Webers, anybody ever buy from Webercarbsdirect? I'm in the market for a 32/36.  I think I want a manual choke because I've heard there can be issues with the electric choke version -- but that might just be folklore.

Amazon price for a 32/36 is $289, Webercarbsdirect is $200.  !!! Nevermind, I re-compared the ads, the price diff is between the carb only and the carb and adapter kit.  Same price from Amazon and Webercarbsdirect.

I bought my carb from webercarbsdirect. I think I added some pics of it in my 620 build thread. The only downside to buying from them is the generic installation guide. Most likely the instructions will not match what you have, so you can either wing it (like I did) or find someone to walk you through it.

The 32/36 fom WCD was easy to install for a first timer with no carb experience. However, I have not tuned it and can tell that it is running rich (smell gas, black plugs, ect) but I'm still to scared to try to tune it myself without having my B210 running first :P

I have a 76 620 that I put a Weber on, is it common to have to change the jets in one just to get the truck to run right? I'm not to carburetor savy as I've never had anything with a carb on it besides this here datsun lol,

• 5 months later...

What can I expect from switching from a stock carburetor too a 32/36 weber? Performance wise? And gas wise also?

What can I expect from switching from a stock carburetor too a 32/36 weber? Performance wise? And gas wise also?

Do it. The happiest day of my life was when I pulled out my piece of shit hitachi. Weber has more bite, same mpg. I love the manual choke also. Those hitachi's feel like they were designed for the status quo granny driver, mine anyway.