newb. forgot to prime oil pump

datsun1973

I forgot to prime the oil pump, long story short heard light knocking and then it seized. Threw some oil in the head engine cranked over im going to be priming tommorow. Did i screw anything up? What do i fill with oil to prime it? So far ive filled filter. I will be filling pump tommorow anything else im using an old shaft with the gear ground down to prime it.

Thanks guys for helping a newb out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch man, that sucks.

I've un-sized a motor before without doing damage by removing the spark plugs (removes compression) and breaking it loose by cranking it over with a breaker bar on the crank. But this was also a lawn mower and blew up a few days later (not from the seizing)

You have to drop the oil pump and fill it with oil and bolt it back into position, if it is dry it don't work.

It's like an old time water pump, once it lost its prime, you had to pour water down the hole and start pumping to get it to work.

How long did it run before it seized?

If you heard knocking, it likely could be to late, if it were me, I would tear it back down and check the bearings, it might not have hurt the crank, but all you would need to do is replace a few parts.

I had a U20 engine run with as it turned out, a missing part in the oil galley, I shut it down when I heard the cam squeaking, we tore the engine down and all it needed was one rod end bearing and the cam bearings worked on a little, otherwise nothing was ruined, mine did not seize though.

It would be better to replace a few parts, rather than having to replace the whole engine.

It was just a few seconds at the most well i guess it will give me a chance to really learn my motor

It only ran a few seconds, or you only heard the knocking a few seconds?

Was there oil getting to the cam, or is it dry?

Mine ran almost 5 minutes before the cam started squeaking, it was never above an idle.

Hmmmmmm no (apparent) intro thread.

No (apparent) pics.

Sucks to be you fella!

I'm over helping FNG's who can't even follow the simple (unlisted) rules of Ratsun (N)etiquette.

Try filling your engine with a handful of sand.

Hopefully this helps.

You know, forums were invented for the purpose of the uninformed becoming enlightened. What is this? A club for a bunch of know it alls or are we allowed to actually help someone.

Sorry for the strong words, but if a guy wants to ask a question, let him.

If you don't want to help him out, that's your prerogative. But keep your mouth shut.

• Like 6

You know, forums were invented for the purpose of the uninformed becoming enlightened. What is this? A club for a bunch of know it alls or are we allowed to actually help someone.

Sorry for the strong words, but if a guy wants to ask a question, let him.

If you don't want to help him out, that's your prerogative. But keep your mouth shut.

All good mate.

Don't think you have posted strong words, quite the contrary.

You raise a fair point, but, many Ratsun posts I have seen expect a certain amount of introduction (by the requestor), and pics (fuck me, I don't think I've ever belonged to a site with more pic whores than Ratsun).

I'll share my experiences with anybody (within reason).

Happy to discuss further via PM if you want.

P.S. OP, Priming your oil pump is a good idea.

Not sure what you mean by grinding down The shaft but it doesn't sound healthy.

Waynos pretty much covered it.

Oops, forgot to add, mouth remains wide open :)

I agree. Pics are always a good idea.

There have been a few posts here lately on Ratsun where the OP has not represented himself or the situation well, and everybody jumps all over him. It's like gang rape. I feel for the poor guy, that's all. In this case, he even had the balls to say he's a "newb" so you have to at least give him credit for that.

On the "grinding", I think he was saying he would grind the gear portion off the shaft so he could spin it from the top.

• Like 2

I agree. Pics are always a good idea.

There have been a few posts here lately on Ratsun where the OP has not represented himself or the situation well, and everybody jumps all over him. It's like gang rape. I feel for the poor guy, that's all. In this case, he even had the balls to say he's a "newb" so you have to at least give him credit for that.

On the "grinding", I think he was saying he would grind the gear portion off the shaft so he could spin it from the top.

Fair call.

You put forward a good point.

I forgot to prime the oil pump, long story short heard light knocking and then it seized. Threw some oil in the head engine cranked over im going to be priming tommorow. Did i screw anything up? What do i fill with oil to prime it? So far ive filled filter. I will be filling pump tommorow anything else im using an old shaft with the gear ground down to prime it.

Thanks guys for helping a newb out.

sorry to hear this happened - I've made the same mistake, luckily saw the oil light glaring at me before damage was done... I would maybe drop the pan and have a look at the big end bearings? 

Forgetting to prime the pump won't cause an engine to seize. 99% of the time a pump will scavenge wether it is primed or not.

If assembled with lube on all bearings you're fine for a few seconds or more of running. You're running at idle and only a few hp and the L series bearings are huge. Fill the pump as described watch that the drive spindle doesn't fall out. Crank motor with coil wire off till oil pressure comes up. Red dash oil light will go out with key on just after cranking.

I did this on my ford van one time but realized I had not primed the oil pump before I had installed it after the fact. I wish it was a datsun L series motor because the oil pump bolts on from the outside of the motor. On my van it was inside the oil pan. The good thing is I did not crank it before I realized it. Came back the next day and some how I guess enough oil had some how seeped into the oil pump and it had pressure when I when to turn it so all worked out fine. If you only ran it a very short time, I would take off the oil pump and prime it good and then reinstall it. Take off the valve cover and inspect your cam and if all looks good put it back on. Take out the plugs take the wire off your coil and see if it will spin over and get the oil flowing through the motor. You can check to see if the oil is getting to the top end. If it is then replace the valve cover, put the plugs in and wires on then give it a start. Good luck.

Eddie

Another way is to fill the pimp and oil filter then the motor with warm water (warm oil lubricates better) and crank with the coil wire off. Leave the valve cover off and you'll see oil oozing from the cam. Good to go.

As far as an introduction I am a new owner of a little 73 datsun 620 just put in a used l20 b everything ran fine before the install I was lucky enough to try it before I bought it. I did get a chance to try and prime the oil pump today after work, no such luck unfortunately i didn't see any oil oozing on the cam. As far as the ground gear stoffregen motorsports is correct I made a pump tool out of an old shaft. As far as an oil light im guessing its not working it hasn't come on.

I went ahead and started her after submerging the oil pump and installing it back in. Everything sounds good no knocking or weird noises no smoke. Was holding the valve cover down by hand started to see oil oozing out after a few seconds. Just lucky i guess.....

Thanks for the helpin a newbie out guys.