The L.e.n.o effect

Guest 510kamikazifreak

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I agree there are people who think things that are older are always worth more(the term "vintage" I hate it,its everywhere), But the how much more is more?

Yes 510's are older, but they still are around, If the one I posted was the last one on the Island,then yeh "maybe" to someone..

But to try and play up something before hand just makes no sense,Its not like someone isnt going to see it when they look at it :sneaky:

I have dealt with many idiot 510 owners(not true 510 owners,like ratsun,realm etc)they are clueless

They think because someone asks them if it is for sale it must be worth alot :poke:

Having owned over 100(thats when I stopped counting) 510's in 25 years, I have seen it all :rofl:

Its only in the past 10 or so years,I have slowed down looking for them.

Go back to 710s... you dont know what youre talking about. 

Ha...

Ha ha....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!!!  :rofl:  That just made me laugh.

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

I see a rack (front steer) and a double sheer control arm mount on the crossmember.  Looks like maybe a later 200sx setup.

bingo,and ghetto fabbed hacked garbage.

510s are becoming more scarce. Just look on eBay. At this moment, there are 42 Datsuns listed under the cars and trucks section and the only 510 listed is an HL510 wagon. It is in Canada and is listed for $6K)   No 68-73 510s at all. Plenty of ZX's, 240-260-280Z's and stuff.   This is always the case. 510s rarely show up for sale on ebay. I know 510 guys are cheap so they probably don't want to spend the money on the listing but come on. Not even one 1 out of 42. There are always 10 240Zs to every one 510 that shows up. 

So 510s must be more scarce. Why does a Mint 240Z sell for over $20K and a mint 510 sell for under $10K?

And 510s are cool cars from the 60's - 70's that started the import tuner scene. Why shouldn't they be going up in Value?

No, its not a Ferarri or a Porsche but a 912 Porsche is basically a VW and they are worth a mint now. Why? The BMW 2002 is worth decent money and so is the Alfa GTV. The 510 is more scarce then either of them and still not worth as much. Why, because it came from Japan instead of Europe?

I have always believed that some day people would wake up and realize just what a great car the 510 is and the values would start to match other cars of the period. That day is finally arriving and I for one am happy to see it. People that are willing to spend $10K plus for one are more likely to care for it and help keep 510s around for future generations to admire. Maybe there would not be so many rusty tattered project 510s out there if they had been worth more all along. When they were cheap $500 cars, anyone could have one and many of them were abused, or disassembled and left to rot. Maybe that is part of they are so scarce now. And as the supply gets smaller, the prices are sure to follow the demand. 

• Like 7
Guest 510kamikazifreak

510s are becoming more scarce. Just look on eBay. At this moment, there are 42 Datsuns listed under the cars and trucks section and the only 510 listed is an HL510 wagon. It is in Canada and is listed for $6K)   No 68-73 510s at all. Plenty of ZX's, 240-260-280Z's and stuff.   This is always the case. 510s rarely show up for sale on ebay. I know 510 guys are cheap so they probably don't want to spend the money on the listing but come on. Not even one 1 out of 42. There are always 10 240Zs to every one 510 that shows up. 

So 510s must be more scarce. Why does a Mint 240Z sell for over $20K and a mint 510 sell for under $10K?

And 510s are cool cars from the 60's - 70's that started the import tuner scene. Why shouldn't they be going up in Value?

No, its not a Ferarri or a Porsche but a 912 Porsche is basically a VW and they are worth a mint now. Why? The BMW 2002 is worth decent money and so is the Alfa GTV. The 510 is more scarce then either of them and still not worth as much. Why, because it came from Japan instead of Europe?

I have always believed that some day people would wake up and realize just what a great car the 510 is and the values would start to match other cars of the period. That day is finally arriving and I for one am happy to see it. People that are willing to spend $10K plus for one are more likely to care for it and help keep 510s around for future generations to admire. Maybe there would not be so many rusty tattered project 510s out there if they had been worth more all along. When they were cheap $500 cars, anyone could have one and many of them were abused, or disassembled and left to rot. Maybe that is part of they are so scarce now. And as the supply gets smaller, the prices are sure to follow the demand. 

They are becoming more scarce,but they are around.

I can appreciate a nicely done 510 for a higher price ,but when someone see's a 510 that is nice go for say 20 k

They automatically think that the one they have(pos) is worth that.Its just not..

I wouldnt even try to bring the car I posted back to life,to much ghetto fab stuff done!

Yes, Ok. Some 510s are pretty far gone and maybe only worth scrap value. But the parts are also becoming rare and a $300-$400 scrap car may have $1000-$1500 worth of parts on it.

As the parts dry up, they will go up in value too. And the guy who buys a project 510 for $5K and needs parts is willing to pay more for them then the guy who bought a junker for $500. 

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yes, Ok. Some 510s are pretty far gone and maybe only worth scrap value. But the parts are also becoming rare and a $300-$400 scrap car may have $1000-$1500 worth of parts on it.

As the parts dry up, they will go up in value too. And the guy who buys a project 510 for $5K and needs parts is willing to pay more for them then the guy who bought a junker for $500. 

I wish this one would have had that kind of money in parts,It would make sense.

But it doesnt . its has been bastardized so bad it isnt funny.

And there are plenty more like that out there.

Yes as they dry up,some of the parts will be worth more,again how much more is the key(and the quality of the part)

But when things like the L.e.n.o. video show up.

The masses get all bright eyed,and thus what is happening now (hopefully short term)a ton of wanted 510 ads everywhere.

Most will not complete the projects(good ones,solid),as they are to far advanced for the owners capabilities.(I have never seen so many stupid questions being asked as of late)

when they get a hint of what Labour and material rates are.

They will sit and rot like the rotted ones now

speaking of Leno affect..was jsut getting gas today and guy asked me if I wanted to sell mine and mentioned something about Jay Leno, having one..had to correct him and told him it belongs to one of his crew..anywho, he still asked if I wanted to sell mine.  Of course I said no...

Your complaining that your car might actually be worth more now?  I can understand the disappointment that it might be getting harder to find good deals, but maybe this will help the aftermarket scene for the car.  That being said, I've seen this happen with many marks.  Jaguar E-types, have always fluctuated high and low.  Think back to the Barret Jackson Craze back around 2004-2009.  Muscle cars were through the roof.  Your average '68 Camaro was $40.  Now a lot of them have fallen back down to respectable prices.  I know a lot of 510's don't get "restored", but the typical professional restoration on just about any car will cost a minimum of $30K, usually though, your looking at $60+.  The typical professional restoration will take 2000 hours.  Find a shop that will do it for $50 an hour, and you do the math....  That's just labor. 

These cars have been over looked for many years because they are "just an old Japanese econo car".  But in reality, the 510 is still a versatile fun car to drive. 

The prices will go up.  It just might be sooner than what your ready for.

And when people like the lady you were talking about at the beginning of the thread don't get the money they think their car is worth, they will eventually sell it closer to what it's worth.   Just be polite and keep asking if they will take less.

speaking of Leno affect..was jsut getting gas today and guy asked me if I wanted to sell mine and mentioned something about Jay Leno, having one..had to correct him and told him it belongs to one of his crew..anywho, he still asked if I wanted to sell mine.  Of course I said no...

I had someone offer to trade me their truck for the car while at a stop light the other day... 

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Your complaining that your car might actually be worth more now?  I can understand the disappointment that it might be getting harder to find good deals, but maybe this will help the aftermarket scene for the car.  That being said, I've seen this happen with many marks.  Jaguar E-types, have always fluctuated high and low.  Think back to the Barret Jackson Craze back around 2004-2009.  Muscle cars were through the roof.  Your average '68 Camaro was $40.  Now a lot of them have fallen back down to respectable prices.  I know a lot of 510's don't get "restored", but the typical professional restoration on just about any car will cost a minimum of $30K, usually though, your looking at $60+.  The typical professional restoration will take 2000 hours.  Find a shop that will do it for $50 an hour, and you do the math....  That's just labor. 

These cars have been over looked for many years because they are "just an old Japanese econo car".  But in reality, the 510 is still a versatile fun car to drive. 

The prices will go up.  It just might be sooner than what your ready for.

Am I complaining my car may go up ?

Think of it this way,

would you like to have the wanna be's buying them up, to let them rot and get crushed?

Personally no I wouldnt.I know they are a great car,been driving them for 25 or so years.

This is what ticks me off,people get all big $$$ in their eyes,and then the car is left to rot for another 10 20 30 yeras?

To me it makes no sense.

I do have an Idea on what it costs to properly restore a car. I was in the trade for years :sneaky:

I have always had a 510 since 1988,and before that, the first car I bought was a 510.

And the fact that people would rather let them rot into the ground,because they "think" they are worth the big "money" just :confused:

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

I had someone offer to trade me their truck for the car while at a stop light the other day... 

It usually takes longer to get anywhere in a 510,not because the ability to get there(power) its the

jibber jabber that comes with the territory.

I quit asking any one about there 510 project no matter how many times I passed it. Because they almost always have wanted way too much for them, since forever.

"On the 6th day god created light, and as the light cast across the great garden it let out a shimmer of reflection from a briar patch...

Hey.. cool 510 , god said as he smitted away the bush, is it for sale ? he asked

I would let it go for 5k, replied every 510 owner ever.

On the 7th day god created rust. "

• Like 5
Guest 510kamikazifreak

I quit asking any one about there 510 project no matter how many times I passed it. Because they almost always have wanted way too much for them, since forever.

"On the 6th day god created light, and as the light cast across the great garden it let out a shimmer of reflection from a briar patch...

Hey.. cool 510 , god said as he smitted away the bush, is it for sale ? he asked

I would let it go for 5k, replied every 510 owner ever.

On the 1st day god created rust