Four door dimes

iwayman

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like my dad picked up another four door dime, NA SR20de from an S15.

So I'll just make this thread for our 4 doors since I will probably be selling mine after I swap in a fresh engine.

http://www.angelfire.com/or2/drbrown/

SvPcEUG.jpg

Q9eUbkW.jpg

HmMIYE2.jpg

I guess quite a bit of work was done by Michael Spreadbury in Corvallis who does some incredible work with SRs and roadsters and whatnot.

• Like 1

I suggest to you a step even better, National Carb, i got a reman carb from them and its amazing. 

1625606_10153825875920331_1944336030_n_z

1622688_10153825875405331_741694874_n_zp

1011050_10153825616110331_2076358424_n_z

Was 220 shipped, acts like a brand new carb, i was just amazed with their quality, was happy i gave it a try. They also offer life time warranties for a extra 50 bucks.  

• 1 month later...

Ended up rebuilding the carb a while back to no avail. Engine still refuses to idle properly but it did gain some power after a thorough cleaning and rebuild.  I will be driving it 600 miles back to Oregon at the end of this week so I'm hoping everything holds together.

Finally got an exhaust built in preparation for the trip so I can drive around without worrying about exhaust parts falling off or getting a ticket for noise violation.

poaJqxF.jpg

XHcWKIJ.jpg

Y1aJIPO.jpg

4qtIsyD.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this.  Made the drive back with no issues in the '69.  Since then it had had some body work done and has 280zx struts prepped.  It also has an L20 ready to drop in and an SR20de on the way for a winter project.  

jstSD65.jpg

B6iqwiG.jpg

qcy1hOk.jpg

This quarter I have been daily driving the 240z-t, which surprisingly only left me stranded once and only for an hour.  I believe my turbo is burning oil like none other, and I also think I will build an n42/f54 and revert back to NA with the triple SK Racing carbs that are in storage.

23T9XGX.jpg

However, I just returned home for the weekend and am now preparing the sr510 to drive down to san luis while the 240 goes back into storage until I either fix the oil issue or build a different engine.

tlqvivD.jpg

ZmKYZnI.jpg

zNhnjyd.jpg

IumrRZA.jpg

ESGT5S5.jpg

The vg510 has been sitting in the garage like a kid in timeout. I will either rebuild/fix the current vg or drop in a second if I can get my hands on one and then toss it out on the market.

SBcm5jW.jpg

Sounds like my dad picked up another four door dime, NA SR20de from an S15.

So I'll just make this thread for our 4 doors since I will probably be selling mine after I swap in a fresh engine.

http://www.angelfire.com/or2/drbrown/

SvPcEUG.jpg

Q9eUbkW.jpg

HmMIYE2.jpg

I guess quite a bit of work was done by Michael Spreadbury in Corvallis who does some incredible work with SRs and roadsters and whatnot.

By the way, the motor in Dr. Brown is a S14 .

• 4 weeks later...

Been daily driving the SR dime for nearly a month now and everything's peachy.

Removed the muffler and threw on a downturn exit behind the left rear wheel, now it's just a single glass pack 2" crush bent.  I absolutely love how it sounds!  A nice purr down low and a trumpet when you get down on it, still quiet when I want it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_b46RJh8VY&feature=youtu.be

Visited the Canby Datsun meet for the first time and somehow managed to only take photos on the way there.

5EITv7q.jpg

YIyH26K.jpg

Wandered into a hazelnut orchard up around Aurora

IEZC3vP.jpg

lEeaEBo.jpg

qeshsYT.jpg

tVKqIBc.jpg

And lastly I've thrown on a set of T3 rear coil overs and fit some 195s under it.

iMjxmYH.jpg

Parked next to another car I'm working on for a family friend

QTKKPbJ.jpg

Looking to drop the front down 1.5" or so like the blue dime was originally 

0XcD56I.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

LUCHIGR.jpg

HY4CLiz.jpg

The SR dime is now a WIP

I'm trying my hand at painting for the first time, not going for anything close to show quality, just to get the same color everywhere (the front end).

I'm attempting to do a two stage paint.

gKnXmqR.jpg

pfI1BpK.jpg

iGEe5H6.jpg

JZrcF2N.jpg

Painting selfie

zHtQjdC.jpg

cTeYytK.jpg

• Like 3

very cool. im in the same boat (thinking about painting my dime after i do some minor rust repair, fill some holes from door mirrors ect)

It doesn't seem to bad, make a booth, get stuff smooth, and paint, but it would be nice to know how it works out for another painting newb (and what you use for primer / paint / thinner ect) Good luck!

very cool. im in the same boat (thinking about painting my dime after i do some minor rust repair, fill some holes from door mirrors ect)

It doesn't seem to bad, make a booth, get stuff smooth, and paint, but it would be nice to know how it works out for another painting newb (and what you use for primer / paint / thinner ect) Good luck!

So far it hasn't been too difficult, however, my paint is on par with my experience and I have gotten quite a bit of orange peel which ends up needing more sanding.  I've used a urethane based primer, 2:1 with urethane thinner, and my base coat is a non-catalyzed paint, a 2:1 with a reducer.  The clear coat will be a catalyzed, 4:1 with a hardener.  

Ultimately it all depends on what level of paint you are satisfied, my main goal in this project is to get experience with painting with a gun and to get the car a consistent color (instead of the mismatched fender, lower valence, and bay).

MQ5bwmu.jpg

fhqoxpZ.jpg

oSQbJ7k.jpg

EMu9kFS.jpg

This is the first of three coats of base

1JFyN8i.jpg

Due to my lack of skill I will likely have my dad do the base/clear on the hood and fenders after I do more body work so I can have better results on the exterior.

• Like 1

These need more body work

OZ6Buhv.jpg

Most of these pictures look the same but it's three different layers of both base and clear.  So far it's a 15-20 foot paint since I've got a bit of peel in it.

kH4aB9O.jpg

QoofI46.jpg

05mB6WN.jpg

F44BJV5.jpg

9xw9Neb.jpg

Needs to sit 24 hours or so before I can go after it with some 1500 grit.

Side note, as long as the car stays on the ground, you can remove those nuts from the strut tops with no ill effects.   ;)

In retrospect I definitely should have removed those!

This is nowhere near perfect but I am happy enough with the results and it has been worth the effort so far.

If all goes well I will hopefully move it later this evening and begin reassembly tomorrow.

4GqSlqG.jpg

JBha0ZL.jpg

pot1jK5.jpg

o3b6Rnz.jpg

P3tq4Ry.jpg

• Like 1

I've got another update. 

Completed paint today, hung the fenders. Had a gun malfunction while painting the hood so I ended up laying down extra clear in hopes of polishing out the flaws.

KAbRJaa.jpg

2uCM6QB.jpg

rbCMjsG.jpg

BNiA91F.jpg

I also got a carpet kit and installed it this afternoon.

385gUUB.jpg

rfE4RJq.jpg

3sGCT8f.jpg

Lastly I mocked up an paint scheme idea with some plastidip on the old set of snowflakes I have.  If I decide to go through with this I will rattle can satin black the whole wheel and block sand the ridges just enough for the gold to consistently show through.

iiqsBMo.jpg

j3eletP.jpg

• Like 1