iwayman

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KFvSPGx.jpg

1hgIHV4.jpg

we'll see if this works, PO didn't have a vg30e alternator bracket so this is an L-series bracket I had that I am trying to modify to work

75d7tgf.jpg

iKrIXKf.jpg

JB weld for now, if it works I'll pull out my welder and run a little bead around the stud instead

b9Kr28F.jpg

Turns out I've got a subi vlsd so instead of an lsd swap I'm swapping my open diff internals into the subi diff to get that 3.54 ratio.  I feel like an idiot because I didn't realize the ratio is merely the # of ring gear splines to # of pinion gear splines, found out I had a 3.90 originally by counting the splines.

iHbnqR4.jpg

qH6ppg8.jpg

R6Wq4xk.jpg

KtM1S77.jpg

YlQT882.jpg

vk48jNF.jpg

3.54 differential has not worked out so the 3.9 is going back in.

Wired up the starter and ran 12v through the car for the first time since it's been mine

u05dzlF.jpg

hRe39bM.jpg

b0FV3VE.jpg

2CrVh33.jpg

g1o6r8H.jpg

Lights-wise I'm having a little issue where the signals don't work and the headlamps shut off when the brights are turned off, so altogether not all that much for a 42 year old car.

JB weld didn't work as well as I had hoped so I'm still trying to make the l series alternator bracket work but this time with mig

8cmC4Cd.jpg

Just stumbled across your thread again. Nice work. Looks like a great build. Great to see another VG build.

It is giving me a boost to get back to mine. I have 2 VG powered 510s. One is a longtime project. One is a running car.

Keep the updates coming. 

My solution for a cable throttle conversion

codRBnU.jpg

wiOvcJ1.jpg

zGqQ69u.jpg

IivUu2i.jpg

z40iAMS.jpg

Pulled a stock fan clutch off a pathfinder and modified my l28 fan to fit, sadly it hits the radiator drain so hopefully I can find some sort of flush plug instead

7IkdCEG.jpg

oss9emn.jpg

A6hRHvT.jpg

Took my driveshaft in to have it professionally cut and welded, hopefully get it back today

iabgTwo.jpg

yBF8ypj.jpg

DihGV0o.jpg

Well it looks like all I need to do is complete my valve cover hose, get a more appropriate battery, and mount the battery. I will hopefully try to fire it up tomorrow, with no O2 sensor, so I can drive it onto my trailer to tow to an exhaust shop.

http://i.imgur.com/ASYofuc.jpg

ASYofuc.jpg

u8bMkiJ.jpg

BvNkWI0.jpg

Got the heat shields mounted, driver's side needed to be cut to accommodate the steering box

R2rd7rL.jpg

Completed my valve cover hosing and intake system

PAt8E7r.jpg

lE1dWQh.jpg

New battery from costco

oAdwmTN.jpg

tcJqN42.jpg

g4Be7oL.jpg

It's like a table, I could eat my lunch off it

UuHMTAt.jpg

sPAwMFZ.jpg

Fat battery, 700 cca

tUBOrIX.jpg

Turned it over to pump water and oil through engine without coil hooked up, noticed I'm not getting spark so I've got to find that gremlin and it should fire up. Coil is good so it has to be my wiring, my prw-2 module, or the ecu; not sure which yet but hopefully I find the issue quickly.

Still no spark, although I've ruled out the ecu being bad by hooking it up to a Spartan II and it fired up and ran just fine.

g3F45ng.jpg5NCyzyC.jpg

Next step is to inspect my harness and wiring diagram and see if I missed some sort of ground.

Edit> Update:

I'm an idiot and didn't understand some of the can/am wiring so the ecu wasn't getting 12v on pins 35 and 27. Now I have a very solid spark! But still no start so now it's time to check injector pulse and verify tdc.

On the DL there are two tack welds that can be lightly hit with the angle grinder which allows you to chissle off the dust shield very easily.  Note for the future :) 

As far as the slave cylinder, they are all 5/8" bore so it doesn't mater.  Most every  RWD datsun/nissan uses that size.  I go down the list when I'm at the autoparts store, they usually have one in stock.  Trucks and cars have a different layout though and can't be interchanged.  

On the DL there are two tack welds that can be lightly hit with the angle grinder which allows you to chissle off the dust shield very easily.  Note for the future :)  

I did actually try that originally but it still didn't want to come off so I ended up cutting all the way around, it wasn't too much more work though since the shields so thin.

Nice man, what's the plans for the exhaust!?

I'm just going to have it connected to the existing exhaust and have an O2 bung welded in for the sensor, the PO had an exhaust built fairly recently (very little rust or road grime on it) with a glass pack and muffler.

Nice to hear it run!  What ended up being the last issue before it fired?

I didn't realize you were in Southern Oregon.  My wife and I grew up down there so we go down there every couple months or so.  Where are you moving to?

Turns out my old coil wire doesn't get power during crank anymore, which is quite odd, but I ended up adding the fifth wire from the ignition switch to the coil wire to signal my Can/am relay so the ecu gets power during crank.  I'm moving down to San Luis Obispo in a couple weeks since I go to Cal poly and I'm hoping to bring this car with me, otherwise my mom is going to let me borrow her old mommy missile for a quarter.

So it turns out my fan is a little bitch and decided it'd flex it's wings and try to fly off.  Broke two blades and rubbed the radiator a little.

7jdtaXe.jpg

I've pulled the fan & clutch and bought a 12" electric fan. Because if we have to, overnight parts from Japan.

But regardless it's going to the shop for exhaust since I don't need it to drive it on and off the trailer.

VZwqDfM.jpg