Four door dimes

iwayman

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man those are nice cars. hopefully those wheels are just rollers for painting Just wished you put some higher end wheels on them.

Higher end wheels aren't really in my budget right now, but down the road I'd like to get a set similar to CCW classics in a 16x8.

One last update for the paint.  I've been slowly working the hood with some 1500 grit paper to ease out some of the blemishes, nowhere near perfect in person but it gets the job done.

It's officially back on the road again.

P3hyquQ.jpg

uNpp8sr.jpg

Color matching wasn't perfect, but it's close enough that few people will notice.

mK1gsls.jpg

AiYsMfN.jpg

RVoAgUb.jpg

However, some bad news for the red dime.  There is no compression in cylinders 2,3,4 of the VG30 and sub 100 in 1 and 6, leaving 5 as the only one with good compression.  As a result, it is looking like it will receive the L16/4-speed out of the blue dime and go out on the market.

bujOiap.jpg

CCW classics in a 16x8.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pimpn

http://motormavens.com/2011/07/center-stage-red-hot-datsun-nickel-dime-510-nissan-bluebird/

That's the ticket.

You must have $$$ but what I see.

only thing mabe good as the CCW is the stock Hubcaps

That's a nice car. But why do people with nice looking cars always skimp out on small details. i. e. wheel center caps. Those wheels looks ghetto with no center caps.

no center cap give a deeper dish illusion  I think.

My cheap Filipinp made Rota RBs look better w/o the Rota center caps. be hones it looked cheaper.

snowflakes and swastikas mostly ruin a nice 510 what I see. even cheap Chinese clones CCW Classics would be better. Konig, Rota RBs and the new Enkei Pasasport type clones out there.

Hubcaps would be better with the small white strip

Will you be parting out the VG stuff or saving it? Can I get some more info on that distributor?

There is no compression in cylinders 2,3,4 of the VG30 and sub 100 in 1 and 6, leaving 5 as the only one with good compression.  As a result, it is looking like it will receive the L16/4-speed out of the blue dime and go out on the market.

bujOiap.jpg

Will you be parting out the VG stuff or saving it? Can I get some more info on that distributor?

I will likely try to sell it as a complete package, with the transmission, custom motor mounts, custom oil pan, carb setup, three other vg manifolds (pathfinder, 200sx, and 300zx), FI wiring and engine management, and what not.  I will not be selling that dizzy with it, though, because it is a mechanical advance mallory setup for an L6 and the advance is off for the VG engine, I have a Saudi dizzy that I would include to complete the carb setup instead.

That's a nice car. But why do people with nice looking cars always skimp out on small details. i. e. wheel center caps. Those wheels looks ghetto with no center caps.

I've found that sometimes the center caps don't fit over the grease caps on the hubs, this could have been the issue with the front hubs with those CCWs and then he may have chosen to not run them in the rear to be consistent.

Nearing completion, working on a pc project mounted under the seat that will run to a screen under the dash.  I've set up software that hooks up to the nissan consult port and allows me to get every readout from the ecu, rpm, water temp, air flow, throttle, battery voltage, oil pressure, the list goes on.  Should be a fun, cool feature.

RswNdmD.jpg

• Like 1

Update with some shitty pics

Completed my pc/ecu readout project, turned out ok so far.

Turn on your speakers for a fun time, a little pop out the exhaust right after I let off.

http://youtu.be/IXgUtn3x7ww

Gutted out a pc and deconstructed it

yNvtjvk.jpg

MrNbu0Q.jpg

slid it under the passenger seat

Using a nissan consult port and ECUtalk software I am able to get a ton of different readouts and read engine codes

sl609Pt.jpg

0IxVGDy.jpg

And I just left the power inverter chilling on the trans tunnel for now to access the power switch on it.

AXj81zG.jpg

Over all I have only spent about 50 bucks on this because I have been able to use old parts that were laying around, just needed to purchase an inverter and a s-video/rca adapter.

thats pretty slick. is that motor obdII?

I've come to the realization that I have more junk to move than a four door dime can handle, therefor I thought I'd throw together a rack attachment that can hold a couple duffle bags or a light suitcase.  I was tempted to buy a legitimate basket for 200-270$ but I managed to do this for about 50 bucks.

This has been my first real aluminum welding projects so my welds are ugly but they have solid penetration.

Square tubing with thicker walled angle aluminum for the cross bars (which I regret not just getting more square tubing)

cnbL155.jpg

0zSWWeV.jpg

5diQkQc.jpg

WnbShV4.jpg

uOSe8xd.jpg

Welded on all sides of the angle aluminum

42fy9k4.jpg

• Like 1

The 71 red four door is running once again, but with an L16 and four speed.  

I don't remember if I posted it or not but I did eventually discover the culprit of my v6 engine failure: the cam sprocket was not torqued to specification by whomever rebuilt the engine (I found Fel-pro head gaskets when I did a tear down).  I failed to check the various engine bolts before I ran the engine originally which could have prevented this whole fiasco.

The L16 is currently running with a Weber 32/36 and open headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlx2N_SzvM&feature=youtu.be

USMVs2D.jpg

KnbFfPf.jpg

6AxsNqB.jpg

cIIDEsK.jpg

Nothing's really been reconstructed yet on the front end

5uKzMcd.jpg

HGR15VB.jpg

Getting that rear end low life

MWhcFIo.jpg

FEaEK6h.jpg

• Like 3

I've come to the realization that I have more junk to move than a four door dime can handle, therefor I thought I'd throw together a rack attachment that can hold a couple duffle bags or a light suitcase.  I was tempted to buy a legitimate basket for 200-270$ but I managed to do this for about 50 bucks.

This has been my first real aluminum welding projects so my welds are ugly but they have solid penetration.

Square tubing with thicker walled angle aluminum for the cross bars (which I regret not just getting more square tubing)

WnbShV4.jpg

Welded on all sides of the angle aluminum

How dose your speaker setup sound?

How dose your speaker setup sound?

Pretty good, the sound bounces of the rear window pretty well.  Plus I have a 12" in the trunk.  I had the stock shelf on top of the speakers and it was very muffled because I didn't want to cut holes for front speakers, however I had those three in the rear and three in the front in my red four door and it was great!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

you got to drop the front down a little more to get the rake look

Done

c4TGXwR.jpg

5ucPB0m.jpg

Bd0dZ3t.jpg

Installed new tie rods and ball joints, a steering box with half the miles, and 280zx steering knuckles.  Also Speedhut gps speedo and 8k tach along with a flowmaster 44

8V8f5W6.jpg

GCo5jrg.jpg

Don't worry, I didn't install the tach upside down.UVpq0Vn.jpg

GKdWfC0.jpg

MTnPjc2.jpg

51JEG7q.jpg

C44YFoT.jpg

yG8sVCT.jpg

0eOvLil.jpg

HW8mF9a.jpg

FizxNaw.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd update this.  Entered into my first auto-X, after a couple issues with my ignition switch and my electric fan making contact with my accessory belt pulley I managed to make a few runs.  Did not put down very fast times and ended up 51st of 56 at a Porsche autocross, but with more seat time and the suspension I just installed I should be able to shave off seconds on my time.

Auto-x photos courtesy of son_of_a_datsun_guy

og3c8wK.jpg

RWqS4zh.jpg

e90gP4F.jpg

bFKnaXM.jpg

yj3vFZl.jpg

K6zgmL1.jpg

34XdyuO.jpg

Both struts had been sectioned twice by a previous owner, creating slight positive camber in one side while the other was slightly negative.  That combined with no bump steer spacers and around a 2-3" drop resulted in a ton of understeer at the Auto-X, didn't help that I was braking too late into the corners, too.

3lDiExW.jpg

AmzC6zO.jpg

e448H0y.jpg

XSbYTsu.jpg

ZZzS5zV.jpg

r5bXMVs.jpg

lP8a9Ye.jpg

xjBI8eS.jpg

YFh3Fi3.jpg

pWm9xUq.jpg

tgRKyNW.jpg

uEmexe0.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So... What's up? 

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4928041085.html

:sneaky:

I guess I'll update this with some final photographs and close it out.

Sold the SR510 to a guy in Canada, turned around and bought my first modern car, people may hate me but I definitely don't miss daily driving the dimes.

XlXuNyO.jpg

MjM1tL2.jpg

6zzUza3.jpg

jLFvfAi.jpg

zIZmYOt.jpg

GKG54mG.jpg

TuQogkU.jpg

Bought this with 7800 miles, hoping to daily this for the next 5-6 years

yrQUuH0.jpg

VMsfXpi.jpg

HPB8ema.jpg

XevRAZ0.jpg