Four door dimes

iwayman

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So close yet so far.  Evidently finding an O2 sensor for a z31 on shelves in southern oregon is a bit of a bitch so looks like the dime will be chillin until I find one.

Got it back from the exhaust shop today, glasspack had to be removed to make room since the Y is at the end of the transmission so the exhaust could be tucked up higher.

Ted7kyH.jpg

QTDK3iw.jpg

lbX6ifd.jpg

Kept the old muffler, much quieter than before but we'll see how it is as a daily

ikdpEZC.jpg

Nice little circle on the radiator

KzpaTBm.jpg

Bought a 12" fan to go on instead that needs to be mounted

V1XwboE.jpg

Finally found an oxygen sensor local, proceeded to find out that the guy who built my exhaust decided he'd weld in a random bung...

So I welded an m12x1.25 nut on so my o2 sensor threads in and now it's running much better. I definitely have a little trouble getting it started and I've only gone up to 3rd gear but it seems to pull pretty hard in 2nd.

And got the hood on; so much easier to install than an s30 hood...

F6snTjn.jpg

XvKkUC5.jpg

iDd8n7E.jpg

SvkMaut.jpg

PUdzBnJ.jpg

NjpTheX.jpg

bt6ukEU.jpg

JFXZqeX.jpg

AX3V9eu.jpg

Running pretty well now. Fixed a couple water leaks and a vacuum leak. Looks like I need to shift my alternator forward a few mm forward since there's a slight rubbing of the v belt on the timing cover.

Drove Dead Indian Memorial rd for labor day, a 100 mile drive, so I've put about 200 miles on it so far.

csPwnJ5.jpg

Stopped on a side road

xWThWoc.jpg

NayT5MS.jpg

jWBVRWd.jpg

ZOA2dIV.jpg

0DqOAHw.jpg

vhLK75d.jpg

vtm9LAh.jpg

Put that magnet there to cover a sticker from the po

OeLg7Us.jpg

It would seem this car just doesn't want to be done...

It would seem there is some wiring issue, my alternator stopped working along with my turn signals and probably my other dash lights. So that's gonna be fun problem solving.

Managed to find a good deal on a roof rack.  Two bike setups and a ski setup with locks and all. Had to trim quite a bit off each, it was a 60-something inch rack setup.

FpGjltw.jpg

OLauaNV.jpg

m2y10Df.jpg

Only need one bike attachment right now but the ski setup will come in handy this winter

vA32hwf.jpguvGDIWn.jpg

• 1 month later...

Aw darn man well at least it running now so when are you back again?

I'll be getting back in December for three weeks, and then hopefully bringing the dime back to SLO with me in January.  Three weeks should be plenty to get any kinks worked out.

BTW, what are ou studying at CalPoly? Just for curiosity's sake :)

I'm a second-year business administration major, planning on concentrating in accounting for CPA and possibly a secondary concentration in finance.  I started taking concentration courses this quarter for accounting but I'm not required to declare until the end of this school year.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Went out to eastern Oregon today with my dad to help him pick up a 1969 four door. I got to drive it back, and it ran great for all 300 miles!

It has the original 1600 and a 4speed but I still got about 28mpg.  Overall the car is a little ratty but it's solid with no cancerous rust, just needs some bodywork.

Took some pictures along the way back

35WF0FI.jpg

zfjLOnj.jpg

QKg1gYQ.jpg

GOU4Jgk.jpg

Kg0XKv8.jpg

68wrM3r.jpg

Nn2LHla.jpg

LFsQjx0.jpg

OS4lJqw.jpg

63WcO5B.jpg

icrFoQL.jpg

zpKViHG.jpgULXMEZI.jpg

8f9WovL.jpg

NamJ9Wt.jpg

This was the 510 that was just for sale last 1.5 week in Idaho?,,,, right?

Ya, Nampa, we met him in Burns.

on the blue one, what is the square tube for on each corner of the rear bumper?

The PO said a previous owner had used it as farm equipment, so I think they're some sort of custom tow hooks for that application.

I'm going to be taking this down to San Luis with me and I decided I needed to make it more reliable. So today I converted it to a Holley two barrel off of a '79 Bronco 351 Windsor using parts I had in the garage.

Last drive with the fuel injection, drove pretty well but not well enough for me to be happy with it.

rUbUvLv.jpg

UTtMiaW.jpg

y0oIPoU.jpg

kqGtdGM.jpg

bSxVAZi.jpg

Udq6dnP.jpg

Decided I'd hook up the heater while I had it apart.

ySeJuG3.jpg

UJ09bTX.jpg

Nb3CwGF.jpg

qlEhQQp.jpg

This is the distributor which was supposedly one of the Saudi ones, but it has no ignitor and I didn't realize I could use a hei module until after I did modifications.

WPSGoqv.jpg

tb9ZY5s.jpg

So instead I took my Mallory mechanical advance dizzy left from running triple carbs on the 240z and punched out the pins on both distributors and swapped the gear.

cbFNijW.jpg

bJVMl6f.jpg

MqroS0c.jpg

wmLpPZo.jpg

0XhZnP5.jpg

Had to cut and weld the piece that holds the dizzy so I can adjust timing and what not.

Also got some T3 rear coil overs as a gift that I need to install soon.

S5TzsOk.jpg

Just need to wire up the electric choke and bundle up the FI harness.

Here's a start right after adjusting the timing, started up real easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oa3G5S9jBQ

Very cool carb swap out. Sounds like it runs well. Let us know how it runs compared to the fuel Injection. Would be interested to know about power and fuel economy. 

What all was involved to swap to carb?

I see you used a truck VG30i intake? Looks similar to the one that VG30.com sells but your carb sits sideways on it.

How was the dizzy wired?

I am thinking of doing this swap into my wagon. I have a VG30 and all the swap stuff for that one. Want to go carb'd on it. I have the Saudi dizzy too. 

Very cool carb swap out. Sounds like it runs well. Let us know how it runs compared to the fuel Injection. Would be interested to know about power and fuel economy. 

What all was involved to swap to carb?

I see you used a truck VG30i intake? Looks similar to the one that VG30.com sells but your carb sits sideways on it.

How was the dizzy wired?

I am thinking of doing this swap into my wagon. I have a VG30 and all the swap stuff for that one. Want to go carb'd on it. I have the Saudi dizzy too. 

Pretty easy swap, I did it in a day because I was able to use parts I already had.

I believe the intake was one of the tbi manifolds that someone welded a pipe and flange to, it came with the partial vg swap.

And the dizzy was very easy, it's a mechanical advance mallory for an L6 engine where I just swapped the ends so it has a gear on it.

It has an electric ignition with an optical trigger so it's just wired to a petronix coil for an L6 engine, +,-, and engine ground with switched 12v to +.

I haven't gotten a chance to take it out yet but it started up nicely, without starter fluid.

I bought a 4-6psi 30gph fuel pump that I simply switched out with my high-pressure pump.  Then ran a T fitting in anterior system to run to the carb and return line with the return line having a smaller opening to provide some fuel flow restriction.

Some potato pics

My dad and I decided to work on suspension together, I installed rear coil overs and gave the stock uncut springs to him so he could raise up the rear end of his dime.

qAzguIW.jpg

qoNDHfJ.jpg

BZ098rc.jpg

XcWfV4X.jpg

Set coil overs to about half-way down the sleeve.  It settled another 1/2 inch or so after a quick test drive

usecQAY.jpg

0m0XBXV.jpg

Front clearance

wPZUlXI.jpg

My dad's before

OzG6Lo9.jpg

and after, hasn't been driven yet so it will probably settle another half inch to an inch or so

y9UYceE.jpg

58THwrX.jpg

Cleaned up the conversion enough to drive. Noticeable increase in power, wasn't able to drive enough for the choke to come off all of the way but spun in second just by mashing the throttle a little.

S5Fwmea.jpg

Carb swap is running great so far, power valve seems off but richening the mixture helps eliminate the lean hole in the throttle.

I was hoping to even my stance by lowering my front end with cut springs, however, upon inspection it looks like the PO installed better/square end springs and tokico 5-way adjustable cartridges when he installed the zx struts, so lowering will have to hold off until summer quarter.

hBNebqP.jpg

cX06bqa.jpg

sG7dtnc.jpg

Z92I9Bt.jpg

W5516xG.jpg

Thus I just reinstalled the struts instead, adjusted the steering box, and took it for a spin.

After taking the play out of the steering and stiffening the shocks, this drives like a whole new car!

Couldn't find any snow on Mt Ashland, though.

Jm81nze.jpg

qtZILOf.jpg

p9IUiX7.jpg

l6EEEDl.jpg

MzZlGAx.jpg

XArWZ9s.jpg

r0vYyQA.jpg

bEVwxW6.jpg

ybKnHOb.jpg

FlJX9Kz.jpg

Put about 750 miles on it since I originally got the engine running, however, we'll see how it fares on the 600 mile drive to san luis.