1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to weld all of your spot-welded seams? Now is the time to do it while it is on the rotisserie. With all the torque you will be sockin' to it, it won't be a wasted effort.

Yeah that is the plan, plus I'm gonna run a 1/4" thick pieces of metal along the box tubes to try and stiffen it up.

I'm going try to keep the stock linkage with the electric power steering column from a Chevy cobalt. The factory gearbox is gone and the engine is forward enough for clearance between the engine and firewall.

• Like 1

I'm going try to keep the stock linkage with the electric power steering column from a Chevy cobalt. The factory gearbox is gone and the engine is forward enough for clearance between the engine and firewall.

The electric column is fine if you want power assist, but you still need a way to articulate your steering. The Chevy Cobalt still uses a rack for steering. The electric column would work fine with a rack and pinion setup. How were you thinking of connecting the stock steering linkage to the Cobalt column, you would still need a steering box? The electric column isn't used to replace the gearbox or rack, but adds power assist to the existing rack/gearbox arrangement.

The electric column is fine if you want power assist, but you still need a way to articulate your steering. The Chevy Cobalt still uses a rack for steering. The electric column would work fine with a rack and pinion setup. How were you thinking of connecting the stock steering linkage to the Cobalt column, you would still need a steering box? The electric column isn't used to replace the gearbox or rack, but adds power assist to the existing rack/gearbox arrangement.

I see what you are saying. If i cant get the stock linkage to work, I will go want a manual rack. But whichever way I go it will be in the rear of the crossmember.

I see what you are saying. If i cant get the stock linkage to work, I will go want a manual rack. But whichever way I go it will be in the rear of the crossmember.

If you have clearance at the back of the crossmember for the rack, that will work. A manual rack with the electric power assist would be awesome. Just a note here: I had two Pintos, 1971, and 1972 with the early lightweight rack & pinion steering that used a flexible shaft at the steering column. These cars were both powered by a SBC with only the aluminum intake to reduce weight. I couldn't believe how easily they steered---just like power steering, and the engine was only set back about 7" from the stock Pinto engine.  The rack on the Pinto was mounted on the leading side, not rear, of the crossmember. Note that this is NOT the same rack as the popular '74-80 Mustang II/Pinto rack that is used in many hot rods. Flamimg River sells a reproduction 1971-72 Pinto rack. It is about 4 turns lock to lock, comparable to the 1200's gearbox. The rack is worth consideration.

• 1 month later...

And then what happened???

John, Almost two months have gone by since we've heard from you. We need to hear from you on the project---Anything, updates, pics?  There are a few still following your build, and waiting for a response. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

With all that heavy wall tubing in there, y'all are good for more than 307 cubes. It looks more like big block territory to me.

Good to see progress here!!! B)

That's the plan after the 307 blows up, but it won't be a big block. More like a LSX454...

• Like 1