In which a 4x4 620 is built

Today I spent what time I had cleaning up the bed rails and resanding the inner bedsides in prep for epoxy.

DSCN0162_zps59c33139.jpg

DSCN0165_zpsf6bc6245.jpg

DSCN0167_zps2be8bab7.jpg

DSCN0168_zps6a299ae4.jpg

I applied two good coats of PPG epoxy primer/sealer, which is more watertight than urethane and will help control rust under the rails better.  It will also serve as a base for a quality spray-in bedliner down the road. 

DSCN0170_zps50db74c2.jpg

DSCN0171_zpsefb2df63.jpg

I found this in the back of a truck in the lot...score!

DSCN0172_zpsce8092bb.jpg

Plus I ordered a set of white spoke wheels from Summit.  Less than $200 shipped.  I ordered two center caps for the rear, but it may look better without them.  I'll have to try it both ways.

usw-70-585_zps86f53f9b.jpg

I have been working on the tailgate here and there to get it ready for filler.  Tomorrow I will focus on it, and maybe start blocking a bedside too.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a couple hours working the tailgate with a hammer and dolly, using a straightedge to get the letters in line.  I don't want to have to build the letters with filler, so I focused on getting them straight first.  Fortunately, the surrounding areas fell into place for the most part.  I also pulled a couple of the larger dents.

DSCN0183_zpsd861c0c8.jpg

I wiped a coat of filler, then remembered that I needed to work the back first, so I flipped it over and wore out a course wire wheel removing the loose rust.

DSCN0184_zps5fcaaf55.jpg

I sprayed on several coats of epoxy with no reduction to help curb rust and serve as high-build primer. 

DSCN0193_zps34b3707e.jpg

DSCN0187_zpsb28e4a69.jpg

The entire inside will be covered by an inner panel that I will weld in, same as the bed, so the epoxy under the panel won't be sanded or topcoated.  The visible area will be scuffed and I will apply a few coats of 2k urethane primer so I can sand out the worst of the rust craters near the bottom.  Then I will reprime and it will be ready for wet-sanding and paint.

Epoxy dries slow, so I guidecoated the first bedside and started blocking with 180-grit on the 18" Durablock.

DSCN0188_zpsdadbb834.jpg

DSCN0192_zps99701bfa.jpg

That's pretty much it for now.  The bed is blocking out pretty well, so hopefully progress will speed up a little.  It will be interesting to see if I can make a decent tailgate out of what I have.

I forgot to add that I put a new battery in the truck and washed the cab.  It wasn't for looks; the best way to protect your paint, new or old, is to keep it clean and use a high quality wax.  Bird droppings will ruin new paint.

I also drained the water out of the cooling system and poured in some Prestone.  It has dipped a little below freezing a couple times recently.

DSCN0185_zpsb28ef32f.jpg

The white spokes should be here Tuesday, and I will get the new tires mounted and installed soon.

Does anybody think a white Lil Hustler stripe at the bottom would be a good thing?

• Like 2

Today I had the three low-mileage Goodyears I got from Dad plus a new one mounted to my new white spokes.  That is, after I checked fitment on the truck.

DSCN0195_zps9005f6dc.jpg

Here are a few shots installed. 

DSCN0204_zps243c2df0.jpg

DSCN0208_zps5bd367ef.jpg

DSCN0210_zpsb61bc1f4.jpg

They are 235/75-15's on 15x7's with 3.75" backspacing.  The offset looks good, but I'm sure it will expose my new paint to a little more road debris.  Life is a compromise. 

I also worked a bit on the tailgate, but nothing worth snapping a pic of.  Tomorrow morning I will be on a road trip, but I hope to be working on it through the afternoon and all day Sunday.

• Like 2

I only had a half day, but I poured a little more filler on the tailgate and finished blocking the first bedside.  I think I will focus on the bed to make sure it gets painted before the shop closes because I can take the tailgate to work and spray it if I need to.  Still going to try to knock them both out though. 

DSCN0214_zpsc34f6999.jpg

DSCN0212_zps511d1fb5.jpg

DSCN0216_zps41224c63.jpg

I'm going to try to work harder tomorrow than I usually do on Sunday.  Don't really want to be working on this thing on turkey day.  If I can get the other bedside blocked and both sides glazed and reprimed, I will be pretty happy. 

Goal met.  Both bedsides are blocked, touched up and reprimed.  I got a head start this morning by forgetting to set my alarm clock back, and I worked until about 6:30 tonight, so I didn't have to kill myself.  They blocked out about as well as the cab.  I also stripped and primed the fuel door, which has a slight curve in it probably to blend with the bedside but otherwise appears to be straight.

DSCN0222_zps5d3e9b57.jpg

DSCN0233_zps5c66373b.jpg

DSCN0239_zps40f54848.jpg

DSCN0240_zps2280386d.jpg

DSCN0237_zpsc517d58a.jpg

DSCN0244_zps66824b40.jpg

The bed is pretty close to good, so I'm expecting to block this primer with 220, reprime after any touch-ups, and wet-sand for paint.  The tailgate is another story, but I'll be beating on it too.  43 days until the shop closes.

• Like 2

Isn't the normal backspace for 15x7's more like 4" ... I know it's only a quarter inch, I'm just wondering a loud.

Not sure.  These were also available in 4.5", and that may have been a better choice.  But these do look good and are now non-returnable, so I'm looking at universal fender flares to see what's out there.  I like flares on a 4x4 anyway, but I don't want them looking cheap or compromising the 620 style lines.  Not real excited about sandblasting my new paint every time I drive it either though.

Saturday I worked late and got the bed blocked with 220 and ready for primer again.  My plan was to go in today and prime it after I buried my water line that has been exposed for a few months while some grading was being done.  Long story short--I spent all day either on the trackhoe or in Lowes, I have more water line exposed than when I started, and the bed is still not primed.  I was going to prime it tomorrow but we have three days in the 20's coming up, so the water line is priority.  The joys of home-ownership.

Here are a few pics of the bed after being blocked and touched up with finishing glaze for the second time:

DSCN0250_zps38a91b0e.jpg

DSCN0254_zps6550c6cd.jpg

DSCN0255_zps631f6f04.jpg

DSCN0253_zpse584bb96.jpg

This black widow was hanging from my tailgate when I got to the shop.  Biggest mistake she ever made.  Black widows are tough, and she survived about thirty seconds submerged in virgin lacquer thinner.  I have no love for spiders.

DSCN0245_zps70fe02ca.jpg

On the subject of flares, I am checking out Steroid's fiberglass offerings as well.

We don't se many Black widows here in Astoria . I sure wouldn't want one in my cab. I to share you're aversion to spiders.

I really am impressed with the work you are doing with the 620.

I build more toward the trail than the street , but I gotta tell ya. It's nice to se some one who is so concerned with getting the rig, just right.

Keep it up. I am thinking of fallowing you're lead on my next build. I need a new shop truck.

• Like 1

We don't se many Black widows here in Astoria . I sure wouldn't want one in my cab. I to share you're aversion to spiders.

I really am impressed with the work you are doing with the 620.

I build more toward the trail than the street , but I gotta tell ya. It's nice to se some one who is so concerned with getting the rig, just right.

Keep it up. I am thinking of fallowing you're lead on my next build. I need a new shop truck.

Thanks Boxcar.  Being so picky is a two-edged sword.  I can expect a good result, but t takes a long time and tends to lead to starvation if you are earning a living in a commission job like bodywork.  Having a hard time drawing the line and saying it's good enough is probably a matter of inexperience, plus the fear of discovering a flaw while spraying the clearcoat, for example, when correcting it suddenly becomes a major ordeal.  I really should have been done months ago, but you're right, I want this thing to be a knockout. 

You can bet I'm following your build, too, and I love trucks like yours and Redeye's. 

NICE JOB! i hate body work and its come time in our 521 build to start and its really bummin me out.

Thanks.  I understand the dread even though I enjoy the work to an extent.  If I had to start over now I'd just shove it in the French Broad and get a decent 720.  Is the 521 as beat up as my 620 was? 

I'm on page 5 of your build.