In which a 4x4 620 is built

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over the last couple weeks.  I finished the first blocking and got everything reprimed. 

The roof actually blocked out well considering the condition it was in.

IMAG2440_zps1a383da1.jpg

Rockers weren't bad either:

IMAG2438_zpsc449b22f.jpg

IMAG2439_zpsa0cd2024.jpg

A little glaze in the low spots:

IMAG2441_zps61c65acf.jpg

And primed:

IMAG2446_zps01e2f9aa.jpg

IMAG2450_zps643d3133.jpg

IMAG2448_zps7d906396.jpg

I also had to address a dent inside the cab in preparation for interior paint, which will happen after the final exterior priming and before exterior wet-sanding to minimize the need for masking.

IMAG2452_zps9e5b0228.jpg

IMAG2454_zps07afb843.jpg

IMAG2455_zps474ab37c.jpg

IMAG2459_zps3ea0dcd4.jpg

As for interior paint, a Sherwin-Williams rep provided a sample of their single-stage urethane to my department at work in an attempt to take our business from DuPont.  It didn't exactly match our current paint, so now it's mine.  Yay, corporate sponsorship!  It is a flat metallic charcoal grey, and I think it will do well inside the cab.  The lack of shine will help hide imperfections in the interior walls.  Not sure yet how much trim and vinyl will be in the cab.

IMAG2442_zpse2c8738c.jpg

Today I also started the second blocking, this time with 220-grit paper.  I have blocked both fenders, a door, and the cowl and valance so far and the need for finishing glaze has been minimal.

IMAG2463_zps22807cb1.jpg

IMAG2464_zps7ac63f70.jpg

Next I will finish the second blocking and prime everything for the third time.  I haven't decided whether I will block again or go straight to wet-sanding (after interior paint).  Gotta pull the dash, too.

Today I finished blocking, touching up and repriming all of the removable panels associated with the cab.  Both fenders, doors, hood, cowl and valance.

IMAG2469_zps7b989ca3.jpg

IMAG2471_zps12f2299e.jpg

IMAG2475_zps9e0159e4.jpg

IMAG2478_zps2fccccb1.jpg

I got to break in Dad's new primer gun, a Matco Tools HVLP with a 1.7 tip.

IMAG2474_zpsa0c1d1de.jpg

Got it guidecoated again, and the primer will have plenty of time to dry in as I block the cab again.

IMAG2480_zpsd9c3d8de.jpg

Time to finally commit to a color.  Recently I have been considering Olive Green again, and I still think the Steel Blue would be nice.  Chrysler also has a great Moss Green.  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

More sanding today.  The roof is good to go, and I'm hoping one more blocking will have the hood ready as well.  The cab needed a little touch up, but wasn't bad. 

IMAG2485_zpsb5bf155e.jpg

IMAG2490_zps1b69ac12.jpg

IMAG2493_zpsdc7f86e8.jpg

IMAG2496_zps004c5615.jpg

These should be back in primer tomorrow, and I will start blocking again.  Yay. 

I thought a lot about painting the interior, and I think I will go ahead and paint it body color instead of grey because I couldn't get happy about where to stop each color inside the door.  That just means if I ever change the color I will have to pull the interior and paint inside the cab again, but it's not like it will be very often.

I'm seriously impressed. I've seen a lot of builds with lots of work and various excellent results, but this one has me wanting to change mine up! I really appreciate you showing this to me so I can now blow more money on mine! Thank you!

lol, but in all seriousness,  I am really diggin this ride! Can't wait to see the end end result

• Like 1

I'm seriously impressed. I've seen a lot of builds with lots of work and various excellent results, but this one has me wanting to change mine up! I really appreciate you showing this to me so I can now blow more money on mine! Thank you!

lol, but in all seriousness,  I am really diggin this ride! Can't wait to see the end end result

Thanks Cobra.  It would be done by now if I weren't slow, picky and lazy, lol.  Hopefully things will get interesting soon as I start spraying a little color and moving on to the bed.

• Like 1

I almost forgot to address the dents in the inside of the doors before final blocking the outside, so I got them in shape and back in primer.

IMAG2497_zps4ed1771d.jpg

IMAG2504_zps6995b103.jpg

The cab and hood are also reprimed.

IMAG2503_zpsba4e66b5.jpg

And because it seemed like there might someday be a satisfactory level of completion to this project--and we can't have that--I pulled the wasted dash and took a look-see under there.  It was easy because only a couple of bolts were in place and several things were loose or disconnected underneath.  Nothing holding the instrument cluster in but luck.  I addressed a couple of obvious issues with the heater controls and also moved the steering column about an inch to the left where I should have put it when I installed it. 

IMAG2500_zpsd2c03bbb.jpg

I will have to figure something out for a replacement dash.

Ok, so things are starting to come together.  Both fenders blocked out completely today...

IMAG2514_zps9fe54ca4.jpg

IMAG2516_zps86a05865.jpg

...and the cab almost did, except for this minor lowness in the cab corner:

IMAG2525_zps103dd3a3.jpg

I almost let it go, but in the end I couldn't resist applying a thin layer of glaze.  That won't prevent this from being the final cab blocking, though.  I also overlooked this guy, and again I almost left it just so I could positively identify the truck as mine in a crowded parking lot:

IMAG2517_zps245c16e9.jpg

But I fixed it.

IMAG2519_zps96e74a31.jpg

I was happy to locate this high spot in the hood that had been bugging me because I could feel it but not see it.  You can see the layers of primer that I've sanded through while leveling it.

IMAG2528_zpscefac2ed.jpg

This shot just shows the payoff of all this work...straightness.

IMAG2522_zps6ca18b69.jpg

Tomorrow: blocking the doors and slinging more primer, including the interior if there's time.

• Like 1

Time for paint.

Well, kinda.  The cab and all related panels are in final primer inside and out, though I may rework one small area on the outside back of the cab.  It's part of a ridge I had to form with filler after pulling a dent, and it isn't quite as sharp as the rest of the ridge.  It isn't bad enough that I could even capture it in a picture, so I'm debating whether to even mess with it.  If I do, that area can be reprimed without having to do the whole cab.

Inside:

IMAG2531_zpse7c32533.jpg

IMAG2535_zps300bd021.jpg

Removable panels:

IMAG2536_zps542d6920.jpg

IMAG2533_zpse351007e.jpg

All guidecoated for wet-sanding:

IMAG2539_zps98d8b49c.jpg

The next step will be to sand the inside of the cab and the fender and door edges/jambs, then get some color on them.  At that point I can reassemble the cab and adjust the panels in preparation for exterior paint.

Guess I should think about picking a color, huh?

• Like 1

Ok, paint color will be Steel Blue, or a close approximation thereof.

Dad and I added several partial pints of various blues to a gallon of charcoal gray and got pretty darn close to one shade of Chrysler's steel blue.  We ended up with almost a gallon and a half unreduced, which should leave between a quart and two left over even with my heavy spraying hand.  Savings: about $550.  :w00t:

IMAG2542_zpsd10cdc43.jpg

I plan to start spraying it this weekend, or sooner if I get impatient.

• Like 1

It would seem like you're about ready to pick a color (I'm trying to be funny here), I vote for a high gloss black.

Nice work, and you're either having a very hard time picking a color or you have a lot of patients.  I see more work done on this "off road" truck than we see on several "serious street" sedans here on Ratsun.  That seems completely the opposite of the way we did things back in the day, back then the trucks were ratty and the street machines were all done up prudy.  My how times have changed - all good - as long as it's Datsun powered.

Simple fact is, I have a hard time making a decision when it's something that's not easily reversed.  I actually considered black because you rarely see a black 620, but I think a brighter color will show the attractive body lines better.  I love the moss green, but I think the blue will look a little more appropriate on a '79.

I also have a hard time drawing the line on the bodywork, i.e. considering it good enough.  This truck may not be perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it considering the train wreck I started with.  I do hope it's purdy when it's done, and it will be a while before it goes off-road, other than daily driver and work truck duties.