In which a 4x4 620 is built

So I sprayed the underside of the hood today.  I wasn't originally going to clearcoat it, because the matte finish of the basecoat wouldn't show the gaggle of flaws in the hood as much as a shiny finish.  Then I realized that clearcoating it would give me a clear example of what the custom color looks like sprayed out.  Here's my best pic:

IMAG2554_zps2fd6f267.jpg

Can't say for sure how close it is to the target hue yet, but I do think it's pretty sharp.  Win?

• Like 2
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get as much done today as I had hoped, but I did jamb the hood and fenders and I painted the cowl.

IMAG2556_zps2e89c84b.jpg

IMAG2557_zps07b2fba3.jpg

IMAG2561_zpse3d188a3.jpg

IMAG2566_zpsa8223aad.jpg

Tomorrow I will attempt to jamb the doors and cab, including the interior.  The base could have used a touch more blue to better match my favorite variant of steel blue, but I did hit one of the variants on the gray side, so I'm trying to convince myself that it's too close to redo what I've done. 

Today I painted the inside of the cab and the door jambs.  It was a real pain because I had to pass the gun in through the windshield opening and crawl inside to spray, then crawl out to get the jambs.  For some reason the camera picked it up with a purple hue.  The pics a few posts back are a lot more accurate, though it is a little more blue and looks better in person.  Here's a few pics anyway:

IMAG2567_zpsa3ad209e.jpg

IMAG2568_zps84383d6d.jpg

IMAG2570_zpsa97dc0be.jpg

IMAG2573_zpsaeb199ec.jpg

IMAG2576_zps24e0a6dd.jpg

IMAG2575_zpsf1fc00e3.jpg

I would like to spray the outside of the cab next weekend, but it will take a hustle to pull it off because I have to jamb the doors and assemble and wet-sand everything.  I'll see what I can get accomplished through the week after work.

In other news, dad gave me the three good tires that were left after a head-on collision in his Tahoe ruined one.  They are practically new, and even though I'm not a Goodyear man, I'll take them if I only have to buy one.  They are 235/75/15's, same as the ones on the 620 now.  The all-terrain tread is perfect for a daily.

IMAG2579_zps355026a0.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a set of white spoke wheels from Summit to mount them on.  $51 each in a 15x8, 6 on 5.5.  15x7 may be better for a 235.

• Like 1

I think you're all set with this color - all the oics here were taken inside, get this out in the sun light and the blue will jump out more.

White spokes would give it a 70's look for sure.  I would vote for 15x8 and just run these tires until you get a new (larger) set of tires.

The more I spray this color, the more I like it.  You're right about the lighting, it has a major effect on how it looks and how it appears in the oics.  I noticed tonight that when I close the garage doors the purple hue in the pics decreases and it looks more like the actual color, which I find interesting.  I've been threatening to buy a real camera since I started this thread, and I may soon.  Even my best pics don't look as good as it does in-person.

As for the wheels, I don't intend to go any larger than a 235/75-15 tire for performance and mpg reasons, plus they fit the OE-style look I'm after.  And as much as I like a 15x8 wheel, a 7" (or even 6") would keep the tire narrow and stock-looking.  To change it up a little, I may run the aluminum 17's with an all-season in the summer and the steelies with an all-terrain in the winter.

GREAT looking color.!!

love that color man, and the clear is tits!!! 

Fantastic color choice :cool:

Thanks guys.  Your input helps keep me motivated.

I went by the shop tonight and got the doors sprayed. 

IMAG2580_zps3f2a79a2.jpg

IMAG2589_zpsdc622683.jpg

IMAG2591_zpsdef0807a.jpg

I have used a few brands and types of guns, but I prefer the SataJet 3000 for this type of work.  It's HVLP and we use a 1.3 fluid tip.  We have one for color and one for clearcoat.  For trimming, we have a small Sata MiniJet with a 1.0 tip.  I jambed the doors with it today.

IMAG2587_zps59fbeb11.jpg

• Like 1

I was at the shop to pick up my car hauler, so I took a few minutes to hang a door and fender and roughly adjust the alignment and gaps. 

IMAG2598_zps60e2a768.jpg

IMAG2599_zps00196291.jpg

IMAG2600_zpsd4137ee6.jpg

New body bolts are making for a clean install and the light gray engine bay is going to be good and bright against the dark blue.  I will be bringing the trailer back to the shop tomorrow so hopefully I can do a little more assembly.

• Like 2

The weatherstrip kit from Datsun Land Socal arrived today, just two days after it was shipped from Anaheim, CA via USPS.  Wow.  The products seem to be of good quality and they threw in a Datsun keychain and mousepad. 

IMAG2603_zpsd0750c6c.jpg

While I was there I hung the other door and fender, then installed the hood.  I will have to fine-tune the panel adjustments, but they are pretty close.  Didn't have time to install the valance.

IMAG2605_zps3e6467f5.jpg

IMAG2606_zps71fbb7ff.jpg

IMAG2607_zpseb88caa4.jpg

Here's the gray engine compartment surrounded by the blue.  Looks good to me.

IMAG2608_zpsa9ab2fff.jpg

I still have to build the insides of the doors and install the door jamb latches and the valance before I can wet-sand and paint, and it's likely it won't get sprayed until next weekend, but still inching that way.

• Like 1

Tonight I installed the valance and door latches.  I also did a little more panel adjustment, though I won't final adjust them until the weatherstrip is installed.

IMAG2609_zps600d69db.jpg

The door strikers and bolts were coated in paint and primer, so I got out the aircraft stripper. 

IMAG2610_zpse3fa6c25.jpg

IMAG2612_zps292aa1d5.jpg

IMAG2613_zps8497b746.jpg

IMAG2615_zps0cd4a9f4.jpg

I started wet-sanding tonight also.  No promises, but if I can get it sanded and washed Saturday, I will try to mask and spray it Sunday.  :thumbup:

IMAG2620_zpscd05ef35.jpg

These nifty little hoses provide an adjustable amount of water without a bulky water hose or spray bottle.

IMAG2619_zps791dfb48.jpg

I don't always wet-sand with a block, but when I do, it's a 3M rubber block and 3M wet/dry paper.

IMAG2618_zps6aa7030d.jpg

• Like 1