In which a 4x4 620 is built

Friday night I finally got in to prime up the bed, after working on getting my water line in the ground most of the week. Hard to see the difference from the last priming, but here are a couple oics anyway.

DSCN0256_zps6e8cf584.jpg

DSCN0257_zps4b9207a2.jpg

This morning I blocked it all in 220-grit again. It blocked out well for the most part but I ended up working a low area on both sides below the rail that I think is a result of welding in patches without giving the sheetmetal enough time to cool between tack welds. Blocking that area is a challenge because of the bed hooks. These pics show how well it blocked, but in the last one you can barely see where the style ridge just below the bed rail dips low over the wheel opening.

DSCN0260_zps1efa1ae4.jpg

DSCN0261_zps1d2ba843.jpg

I spot primed the new work, and tomorrow I will block that, run a little seam sealer including around the inner bedsides, and prime it all back up for what I hope is the last time. If all goes well, I may be able to paint the bed next weekend, which will only leave the tailgate to work and paint. Unfortunately, with 29 days left in the shop and truckloads of stuff plus multiple vehicles to move, the 'gate will have to wait until significant progress is made on the shop moving. I can always work the tailgate somewhere else and paint it at work if I can't get to it in time.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The beds pretty rough boarlin decided to try and flare it some front fenders need rust repair the cabs pretty decent. Has like a 1inch of enamel paint on it.

Mmmm...stripping inch-thick enamel...what fun. :) 

I'm not a suspension guy, but it looks like you guys are doing great work.

just went through his thread. amazing work so far.

Thanks Cpl.

So the bed is in final primer and the inner bedsides are seam-sealed.

DSCN0269_zps3840b4e5.jpg

DSCN0272_zps5e73f0e5.jpg

I am going to try to clear out of work at lunch time Friday to wet-sand the bed so I can paint it Saturday because the weather is supposed to be better than Sunday, but realistically, I will probably have to sand it Sat and paint it Sunday.  Either way, so far it is on for this weekend.  This is a big step because--shop moving aside--that only leaves the tailgate before assembly can begin.  And I still plan to chip away at that while packing up the shop. 

• Like 1

Voted: Most impressive build thread ! ! !

I just read through it all and have to say I learned a LOT from Your techniques ! ! !  Bodywork is an art, like playing guitar. Some are born with it, others try in vain to copy it. You have an awesome gift ! ! Thank You for sharing Your thread with Us all ! ! Also, best of luck with whatever You are going to be doing after the shop closes.

Hey, you could always move out to Arizona and open a shop ! !  I would DEFINATELY be Your first customer ! ! !

Mike 

• Like 1

Voted: Most impressive build thread ! ! !

I just read through it all and have to say I learned a LOT from Your techniques ! ! ! Bodywork is an art, like playing guitar. Some are born with it, others try in vain to copy it. You have an awesome gift ! ! Thank You for sharing Your thread with Us all ! ! Also, best of luck with whatever You are going to be doing after the shop closes.

Hey, you could always move out to Arizona and open a shop ! ! I would DEFINATELY be Your first customer ! ! !

Mike

Wow, thanks Mike. Comments like that from senior forum members are inspiring, and I hope the final product lives up to everyone's expectations.

As far as future endeavors, fortunately I have a full time job painting parts in a facility that makes various sizes of antennae (aka satellite dishes) and positioners for mostly military customers, and dad's shop is just a place to play, if that's what you meant. I have a three-bay metal garage that will hopefully be going up this spring at the house if that's what you were referring to. I considered full time work in a bodyshop, but I don't think its for me.

Thanks again for the boost, and BTW I emailed you about fender flares if you're still doing that.

Bed is painted.  I forgot my camera, but I took some cell phone pics.

Wet-sanding:

IMAG2884_zps49371181.jpg

IMAG2885_zps4548f83f.jpg

IMAG2886_zpsc541e869.jpg

IMAG2887_zps6927c388.jpg

IMAG2890_zps2ab8617c.jpg

IMAG2891_zps4e54afed.jpg

Two groundcoats and three basecoats:

IMAG2894_zps1d2fc61c.jpg

IMAG2895_zpsc09b1d56.jpg

IMAG2896_zps716427d2.jpg

Three coats of clear:

IMAG2897_zps1c54e0f3.jpg

IMAG2898_zps7488cd14.jpg

IMAG2899_zpsd6dad315.jpg

IMAG2900_zps34562b77.jpg

I have a piece of dirt and a small run under the fuel door opening to sand out, but they should be no problem.  I was most worried about issues around the hooks since it would be difficult to get a buffer under them, so I followed the old man's advice and went easy in that area.  I'm happy with the result.  I will let the bed live in the shop for a week before setting it on the frame, and in the meantime I will try to balance moving stuff out of the shop and working the tailgate.

• Like 4

Thanks for the compliments guys.  I'm looking forward to wrapping it up over the next couple of months and getting behind the wheel.  Right now I need to start focusing on getting our things out of the shop, but if time allows some tinkering with the truck I will post any progress.  I will still be around here daily following your builds.

BTW, I painted some reindeer lawn ornaments pearl white with flat Hot Rod clear for the boss today, so I shouldn't get any resistance when I bring in a Datsun tailgate to paint.

Even though I have been busy moving things from the shop, I still managed to black out about half of the frame to cover the overspray from paint and primer, secure all of the body mounts, negotiate a solution with Summit Racing over one of my wheels being a different shade of white than the others, and modify the 720 accelerator cable to work with the 620 body and Weber carb.  Now that it can be parking lot driven instead of just idled, I can take it to my exhaust guy for a full install when I get a minute.

It is covered in dust now, but if I get a chance I will finish blacking the frame, wash it and shoot a couple outside pics.

• Like 1

I keep coming back to your build just to stare at your truck.!!

DITTO.!!

Lol, me too.

its been 2 days....

no new pics.....

come on man i NEED MY FIX!

Nothing to see yet, unfortunately.  I did order an exhaust downpipe and I have an appointment to get the rest of the system made next week, so if nothing else it will be outside for that.  Might be a Kodak moment. 

I also need to check the fluids and plug the speedo port on the trans.  I noticed that the alternator is not charging anymore; it worked fine when I first got the engine running.