In which a 4x4 620 is built

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I continued not moving stuff out of the shop and instead spent a little time with the Datsun.  I mentioned that one of my wheels was a different shade of white; here is a pic.  Summit is sending me another wheel for half price and I will keep the odd one for my full-size spare.  The difference isn't as obvious in the pic, but basically three are a brilliant white and one is more of a cream or antique white.  Cell phone pix because lazy.

IMAG2902_zps22f81d35.jpg

I picked up an exhaust downpipe and installed it tonight to save a few bucks vs. having the exhaust shop get one.  It's Walker brand, fits well but it's kinda cheesy next to the OE pipe. 

IMAG2920_zps3add3b67.jpg

IMAG2926_zps7a77b711.jpg

IMAG2927_zps9a13117d.jpg

A gratuitous engine bay shot featuring my forum-exclusive 300 psi Parker PCV hose: 

IMAG2925_zps596b5d48.jpg

And a current truck pic for Adam:

IMAG2923_zps98974b2f.jpg

• Like 3

Today I hauled the 620 to Mason Muffler Service in Asheville for new exhaust.  Tom Mason is a master of his craft and he has done my exhaust work for almost twenty years.  I washed the truck and snapped a few pics.

DSCN0308_zps4d95a838.jpg

DSCN0309_zps566454ec.jpg

DSCN0312_zps88a29f51.jpg

DSCN0313_zps644fa8eb.jpg

DSCN0314_zps2eb59bdd.jpg

DSCN0318_zps82be7daa.jpg

DSCN0319_zps9414574c.jpg

DSCN0320_zpsd64c04fe.jpg

I took it back to Dad's shop so if I get time I can change all fluids and plug the speedo port on the trans.  I also hope to consolidate the remaining 620 body onto one frame, but that's pretty optimistic. 

Now that the exhaust is quiet, you can really hear the racket from what I presume is the timing chain.  Guess I'll be investigating that, but first I will begin assembly and work the tailgate.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

What are you're plans for a power plant?

I'm hoping the Z24 works out for fuel economy reasons. When I first got it, a cranking compression check showed a couple cylinders were a little low, but they weren't adjacent cylinders and it had been sitting for a couple years. I have a new untuned Weber on it and haven't adjusted the valves yet, but it still seems to run fine and doesn't smoke.

If it has issues after tuning, I may rebuild it or consider a swap. I have a complete Astro with a good 4.3 but it's an auto, so I would still have to source a five speed and manual trans ECM or have mine flashed. I also watch for 2wd pathfinders and pickups with KA's and VG's for consideration, but if the Z pulls it around well and is economical, it will probably stay. I have another truck that's made for heavy loads.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's been a while. A home improvement project has kept me busy, but I have a minor update.  It's been too cold to do much since the shop closed, but yesterday I took advantage of the good weather and did a few things to the 620.

I ordered a set of NOS Datsun fender emblems on eBay for 30 bucks.  They aren't exactly correct for my truck, which may be a criminal sin to some people, but hopefully in a group of enthusiasts that swap engines, perform custom body mods and lower everything I can be forgiven just this once.

Fortunately, they are close in appearance and fit well with only a minor mod.

DSCN0526_zps37387cd6.jpg

The new emblems have four mounting posts but the fenders only have three holes.  I originally intended to remove all of the posts and use 3M double-sided tape, but it turns out that the outer two posts line up with the outer holes in the fender, so I cut the inner two post off with a cut-off wheel, slowly to avoid melting the plastic, and used a couple of inches of tape in the center to keep the emblems flush with the fenders.  They came with inserts that press into the holes, and the posts press tightly into the inserts.

DSCN0527_zps4e17488c.jpg

DSCN0530_zpsb4214251.jpg

DSCN0531_zpsd826fa05.jpg

DSCN0532_zps4aba845c.jpg

I also corrected a concerning noise that only occurred when the truck was moving.  It was just the parking brake cable, which is not installed in the cab yet, laying on the driveshaft at a u-joint.  I haven't been able to find any GL-4 yet, so I was a little worried about lack of fluid in the transmission. 

Then I masked off the front end and painted the area behind the grille with satin black.

IMAG2965_zps580f2968.jpg

IMAG2966_zps6de24fea.jpg

Now I can paint my grille and install it and the bumper and lights.  Speaking of lights, I installed the side markers some time ago as well.  Current pic:

DSCN0533_zpse1f6efde.jpg

With the warmer weather, I would like to fit some Datsun time in while I finish up the house project, so maybe there will be more updates soon.

• Like 2

Yesterday I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves, hoping that they were responsible for at least some of the racket from the engine.  I figured the timing chain was loose, but I was surprised to find so much slack that it is laying against the block pretty much all the way down the driver side.  I can almost move it over a tooth on the cam gear.  This is something I want to fix pretty soon because I want to be able to move it around without further damaging anything.

Can the chain possibly be that stretched or is it more likely the tensioner isn't doing its job?  I know it's hydraulic.  The complete timing kit is cheap so I don't mind replacing whatever it needs, but I may tear it down before I order anything just to see if it's anything obvious.  I also plan to replace the valve cover and oil pan gaskets (or reseal the oil pan with rtv if that's all it uses).  I will probably have to drop the front diff (again) to seal the oil pan.  Fun.

Thanks Redeye.  All I've pulled is the valve cover so far.  I don't remember there being a guide on the straight side of the chain at all, even though it is shown in all the pictures of the timing kit.  There are grooves in the inside of the case and head from contact.  Now that I think about it, I suppose that justifies a complete kit.  New guides, tensioner, and a chain that hasn't been subjected to slapping and grinding the case.