1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well .... freeze plug was fine ... all I can surmise is that the heater core must have drained some coolant into the tranny when we weren't looking and that was residual but the back of the motor was dry...........hans had the motor out when I got there ......he left for seattle and me and my partner in unfamiliar toiletville put that thing back in .....it actually went together the easiest of all the installs .... by myself and only really requiring broken nails help for a second ......we went and got some Mexican food came back and finished the little crap ... I was putting the radiator back in when hans got back he put the starter in and boom purs like a kitten .... set the timing to 11 degrees and got good throttle response...it was the crank counter balance that was hitting the pan .. it was barely a mark .... the pan was pushed in and since I dont use pan gaskets im sure that's why the interference....hammer and dollied the pan with out messing up any powder coating and ended up going home about 11 hungry and tired.... left the truck there with the hood off....gonna try to make it out there today to grab it and then maybe a valve adjustment and a few other minor details and I hope....I HOPE......that's the last time for that..........so I went from a l20 w58   to  a l20 a87......hoping to notice some difference...poor goon

• Like 3

well .... freeze plug was fine ... all I can surmise is that the heater core must have drained some coolant into the tranny when we weren't looking and that was residual but the back of the motor was dry...........hans had the motor out when I got there ......he left for seattle and me and my partner in unfamiliar toiletville put that thing back in .....it actually went together the easiest of all the installs .... by myself and only really requiring broken nails help for a second ......we went and got some Mexican food came back and finished the little crap ... I was putting the radiator back in when hans got back he put the starter in and boom purs like a kitten .... set the timing to 11 degrees and got good throttle response...it was the crank counter balance that was hitting the pan .. it was barely a mark .... the pan was pushed in and since I dont use pan gaskets im sure that's why the interference....hammer and dollied the pan with out messing up any powder coating and ended up going home about 11 hungry and tired.... left the truck there with the hood off....gonna try to make it out there today to grab it and then maybe a valve adjustment and a few other minor details and I hope....I HOPE......that's the last time for that..........so I went from a l20 w58   to  a l20 a87......hoping to notice some difference...poor goon

I must say this is the best typed story to date,its almost perfect compared to the other alien shit you type.haha

I hope you get it done this time to i want to see updates not back dates like me,now put those fuckin wheels on and make us all smile. :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 2

fuck that im coating them getting them mounted up and running them even if I have to run no fenders........ hmmmm quick release front fenders...that's almost as bad as those stance fuckers who put there bumper back on after backing out across half a lumber yard.......

• Like 1

What you got going on with the PCV valve, it don't even look like it has one in the photo below, it just looks like a hole into the intake manifold, is that what that is, just a hole?

IMG_20130826_185249_zps61094683.jpg

I tell you what i would do first of all with that valve cover,mold in that stupid pcv line on top and make a new 1 behind the valve cover so you cant see it and then you would have a clean valve cover.I was going to do that to my 2.3 but did not keep it long enough to do it.

• Like 1

thoise carbs are just some extras I threw on there of for looks those wont be used and this motor is in my truck and I hooked up the lines the way u originally said wayno

I was going to say that you would be lucky to have a decent idle with no PCV valve(just an open hole that you stuck a hose on).

I had one loose it guts once, idle was uncontrollable, to this day I have no idea where the guts went, I am assuming they went threw the engine, but it seems that I would have heard a lot of noise while the pieces were getting beat to a pulp in the cylinders.

It took me a while to figure out what the issue was as the hose was connected to the valve cover, so I couldn't hear the vacuum leak, the engine just raced uncontrollably(2000/3000rpms).