521 electric fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything can be done. But it should meet a few requirements. It should be an improvement, it should be reasonably cheap, it should be reasonably easy to do.

Once a vehicle reaches 20-30 MPH, enough air flows through the rad to provide cooling without the fan. Until a motor warms up, including ALL the water in the rad, no fan is needed. The only other times a fan is needed is when car is warmed up and in stop and go traffic or idling. This means that the majority of the time, no fan is needed at all, waste of gas turning it.

So the first requirement is met with an electric fan, saves gas, less noisy.

The fan I'm installing is off an old Volvo although I did see one somewhat like it on a Mercedes. It is very flat and pushes air so is mounted in front. I checked and you could reverse the wires to run it backwards and mount behind the rad if you wanted to. It depends if there is room in front of the water pump or behind the grill. Now you need a way to turn it off and on. A switch is definitely out. What if someone else was driving it? Could forget or not know and overheat the motor. The best way is something automatic that takes care of itself. Many cars have a thermal switch mounted in the lower rad that powers a relay to work the fan. Can't use these in your rad and keep it simple. I used an inline thermal switch from an '86 200sx. It's a short tube that is mounted in line in the lower rad hose. All I had to do was cut the hose slip it in and two gear clamps. Like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Z24radhose008Large.jpg[/img]"]Z24radhose008Large.jpg

I got my fan for $10 and the in line switch fit my pocket so it also fit requirement #2... cheap.

I don't know if the thermal sensor can handle the electrical load of the fan so I will be using it to trigger a relay. The Bosch relay from any automotive store will do, rated at 30 amp for $7, top one in picture or the relay from a 720 are perfect for this, bottom one in picture. The 720 relay was free, found it in my back pocket. (meets requirement #2) I haven't finished it yet but it will look like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Z24radhoseLarge.jpg[/img]"]Z24radhoseLarge.jpg

As for requirement #3 ease of installation, well a drill, some tech screws, gear clamps, wire connectors, zip ties should help get the job done. You won't need a monster size fan for a 1600 521. I'm using one the size of a large dinner plate on a Z24 and it worked on a Volvo of about that size. Remember as long as you are moving, some air is moving through the rad. If you are stopped at idle you aren't making a lot of heat and a small fan is more than enough. A flatter fan will allow more choices of there you can mount it.

I bought both the fans I have run on my truck from ebay. Both were push/pull fans and capable of 1600 cfm. Each one only cost about $30.00. I had a 16" at first and broke the blades off of it. I now have a 10" mounted to the front of my radiator.

I am still getting my 620 going. Last fall I stuffed a Z24 into it. The clutch fan is much too close to the new rad so I'm going with electric. All engines should have them. I drove my dad's Sundance 'cross Canada and it never came on once. If it sits and idles it takes about 7-8 min before it gets hot enough to turn the fan on. The Nissan 7 blade plastic fans on the 620s sound like a F-18 taking off. Won't miss it.

I don't know, never ran this motor with the clutch fan. Didn't have enough room to do anything but an electric. But like Mike said, mine hardly ever comes on. I made a tube with a bung for the fan switch, but several nissan cars came stock with electric fans and have the tube with sensor that you could rob to control the fan.

• 8 months later...
I just run a good radiator and a 160 deg stat and My heater is Now COLD.

Crap, i bought 160 degree stat from rock auto. Think ill wait till summer to throw it in there. I drive 165 miles round trip to/from work starting at 4:30am. I am not freezing for that long :eek:

Would a better alt be needed for a electric fan swap? Mine supposedly uses 90 amps during start up.

I like the probe for the simple reason that some thermostat bases don't have an extra hole to put that switch. And I think it looks messy if you install the inline one. But I guess whichever one is cheaper is the one I will use.

I just run a good radiator and a 160 deg stat and My heater is Now COLD.

if your getting hot then its anotehr proplem.

But the electric fans do sound cool and if you live in a hot place maybe its worth it.

well the switch is adjustable (probe style). you can set the temp. that you want the fan to kick on.

and no my truck isn't getting hot. Ive just wanted to this for awhile. :D

Would a better alt be needed for a electric fan swap? Mine supposedly uses 90 amps during start up.

I like the probe for the simple reason that some thermostat bases don't have an extra hole to put that switch. And I think it looks messy if you install the inline one. But I guess whichever one is cheaper is the one I will use.

yes it would be better to have a better than stock alt. no matter what you do.

I think the inline one looks cluttered also.

Has anyone tried the probe style switch???

Edited by ariascarlos1990

my electric fan set up came out of a honda accord i got a thermo controler wired it up called it good really not hard and not that expencive eather i like the probe type controler it firs right in the fins of the radiator

Ok so I got it all installed. and I have to say I really like it. When I rev my engine I don't just hear that obnoxious fan over powering the sound of the engine I hear the motor. :D The only thing I'm worried about is the switch I didn't run it though the ign. So the fan will stay on until the radiator is cool. Do you guys think that this will be a problem?

Ok so I got it all installed. and I have to say I really like it. When I rev my engine I don't just hear that obnoxious fan over powering the sound of the engine I hear the motor. :D The only thing I'm worried about is the switch I didn't run it though the ign. So the fan will stay on until the radiator is cool. Do you guys think that this will be a problem?

That's the way most new cars work.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think it's easier to find a radiator that's got a built-in thermal switch. I've got a rabbit radiator and the switch is conveniently located near the wires where I installed my fan (pulled from a Geo Storm):

20090407_radThermostat.jpg

Seems like getting a rabbit radiator or other radiator with a thermal switch is the easiest way to go. On top of that, if you have an upgraded radiator, your electric fan doesn't need to be on as often, since the radiator will dissipate the heat better anyway.

Personally, I think it's easier to find a radiator that's got a built-in thermal switch. I've got a rabbit radiator and the switch is conveniently located near the wires where I installed my fan (pulled from a Geo Storm):

20090407_radThermostat.jpg

Seems like getting a rabbit radiator or other radiator with a thermal switch is the easiest way to go. On top of that, if you have an upgraded radiator, your electric fan doesn't need to be on as often, since the radiator will dissipate the heat better anyway.

hmm never thought of that. what kinda fan/fans are you runing?

wow i feel sorry for the clutch fan poor guy got raped with a 10lb sledge looks like.:blink:

Yeah the damn thing wouldn't wanna come off nicely. :D The puller did all that damage. I still need to file it down a bit.