WTF are these?

Eagle_Adam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set from my parts 710 goon. I also have a set from an S110 Z20E but they were aluminum. I gave a set away at last Canby I think. They will work with standard or auto. I think the auto have smaller tranny holes but could be wrong. I did rmove a set on a '79 620 motor that was a 5 speed. They sometimes get removed when changing a motor or tranny and just get left off.

The ones we recently ran into bolts go through trans not screw into,, not all L had them That`s why not all trannys have the holes

sons 78 4speed shortail had them

his 79 auto trans car had them

none of the long tail 5 speeds we have have the holes for them

I've had both cast iron and aluminum ones. I've seen 'em on Automatics and Manuals. My '81 510 Wagon has them, on a Z20S + Auto, I put them on the Z24 when I changed engines (all for naught since the Z24 was junk). Those were aluminum. My 1st '76 620 had them. The purpose is extra transmission support. They aren't threaded because they're bolted through with a bolt and nut.

Semantics. They could have reduced NVH with a rubber gasket. That would have caused many other issues, like alignment problems. Supporting the bottom of the transmission, while not needed from a weight perspective, reduced NVH and solved the NVH-related problem of the transmission bolts backing out due to harmonics.

I gave a set away at last Canby I think.

You left me a set when you visited........... after Canby........... :)

Yes, they are Gussets. They are not for support per se but are there to reduce NVH.

Noise, Vibration, and harshness.

Hmmmmmm.....probably should bolt up a few more sets in my 510..... :lol:

• 5 months later...