Muffler thoughts

PineClone

Okay, so i have this new (to me) '78 2-door sedan. Have tons of stuff i'd like to do to clean it up, but need to prioritize.

To sharpen it up for driving i need two things...new muffler and some decent wheels. But first priority is the muffler/exhaust.

I searched and didn't find much discussion on mufflers. I have no interest in the car being loud...I mean, its a 4 cylinder! But i am interested in some sound, suited to the car that it is, and also performance.

Interested if anyone here has discovered the perfect fit for their 210. Otherwise, i'm headed to the muffler shop and telling them to slap on any old muffler.

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that will sound like a hornet in a can.

Well if you have to have the pipes bent and made up for this get them 1/4 larger diameter and the largest muffler to fit that. Don't forget the tail pipe. Otherwise if cheaper get the stock system done. These cars ran fine and gave great mileage with them. Turbo mufflers aren't too loud. Don't buy anything you can see through.

You didn't search....

The best exhaust for a 1.2/1.4 is a straight pipe all the way to the bumper.

I think someone suggested that in a previous post that i found during my SEARCH! :)

Not sure this is the best option for me though. Seems like i also found an example of the straight pipe on youtube.

Thanks!

I have a straight pipe and it works great.

I guess it all depends what you are looking for.

For me it was all about efficiency not sound and/or looks.

I have a straight pipe and it works great.

I guess it all depends what you are looking for.

For me it was all about efficiency not sound and/or looks.

Try size 14 it's easier to read.

Update: So i took it in to the local muffler guy (does a lot of custom work and is well respected). We discussed the options and i took a risk and decided on the performance muffler. The existing muffler was in rough shape, and the tailpipe was barely hanging on. The pipe was all solid, so stayed with that.

My initial reaction after installation was that i liked it.

1. The car runs better. No doubt in my mind about that. The old muffler was spitting out black stuff. It starts better when cold and idles better. Prior to the new muffler, on a cold morning, i could start it and it would often stall out.

2. Sounds great when driving down the road, and has a bit more pep.

However, when idling, it has a deep rumble, along with a hollow coffee can sound. I'm not too thrilled with this, and am hopeful there is a breaking-in period. So as of today, i'm kind of wishing i'd gone with the stock muffler, purely because the sound is a little bit corny for the car that it is. But no turning back now and i'm hopeful it will grow on me over time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

p.s. the model number on the invoice is BD200 and the cost was $95. I can't find BD200 anywhere on the internet.

However, when idling, it has a deep rumble, along with a hollow coffee can sound. I'm not too thrilled with this, and am hopeful there is a breaking-in period. So as of today, i'm kind of wishing i'd gone with the stock muffler, purely because the sound is a little bit corny for the car that it is.

What's that supposed to mean <_<

Try putting a long glass pack behind the muffler you have. Then run a bit of pipe out the side with a fat exhaust tip.

Problem solved.

What's that supposed to mean <_<

Try putting a long glass pack behind the muffler you have. Then run a bit of pipe out the side with a fat exhaust tip.

Problem solved.

The glasspack aka "cherrybomb" will help the sound/loudness alot. I started with just a turbo muffler and found it too loud for my tastes, the glasspack very shortly after the manifold helped alot for my B. Very non-obnoxious now, but still sounds decent when you step on it. I didn't notice any change in performance, although I'm running 2" anyways.

sadly there is no quiet mufflers for sale retail, so a turbo muffler is the next best thing.

Dynomax 17771 is your best buy, although the Borla XR-1 is a better unit. See http://datsun1200.co...ftermarket_1.75

Sure there are, you just need to know where to look. Autozone sells the Walker OE universal replacements, Usually cheaper then an aftermarket.

Better to err on the side of quietness. It may be quiet enough for 'squatch' but ask his neighbors.

my neighbors are envious every time i drive by, i can tell by the look on their face's. :rofl:

i usually put along or coast thru my subdivision unless the twat next door is out everyone dislikes her...