Single res master for a 510???

spec-bre

Guy's I am in need of info ASAP in regards to an issue I am having. I have a race on Sunday I am wanting to make. I bought a TGI air cleaner for my Mikuni's and it will not clear the rear air horn due to the master res. I have seen a larger single res setup on another car on this forum but can't locate it now. What one do I need and is it a direct swap???

Thanks for any info you can give me!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find a way around this somehow. In a single master system any, I mean ANY, leak or loss of pressure affects the whole system. The brake peddle goes to the floor and .... nothing. There's no feeling quite like expecting brakes and they aren't there.

Well, there's a difference between single-reservoir and single-circuit. A number of modern vehicles have a single reservoir feeding both pistons of a dual-circuit master.

But, that being said, the reservoir is gonna be even BIGGER than what you have. Really, what you have to do is make the air cleaner fit. You already have the tiny OEM reservoirs.

The only other solution is to go remote-reservoir. I've seen it done on 240-280Zs that were built for racing.

But if you really were trying to use a single-circuit master (single piston, single circuit) master like the older 60s Datsuns or trucks, BAD idea. Wouldn't pass tech (or shouldn't) and you'd then need a proportioning valve and all sorts of mods, and then have a 50% more unsafe system.

if you go find a reservoir relocate from a mid 80's/90's chrysler mitsubishi minvan pick up starion conquest k car it will relocate your reservoir like this one phil maid from parts in my garage

28ac39d808e6__1240522340000.jpg

not sure if it will work for dual carb's we did it so the fluid was farther from the turbo

For what it's worth. The NISMO catalogs listed P/Ns 46010-N0110, Single brake master cylinder and the required 46255-21005 Brake tube connector which adapted the single fluid outlet to the dual brake tubing of the standard 510s. Factory authorized and fully functional replacement designed to accomodate the dual SU on 510 engine. A possible alternate might be to use a 310 roadster brake master cylinder and have a brake line adapter made up. Datsunparts.com lists many roadster brake parts including a "wrong side outlet" master cylinder for the roadster which was just perfect for my RL411. See what they offer!

Thanks for all the feedback!! I did not concider the downside of a single master. If a remote unit would work I would go that rought but I still think it would be an issue... I've temporarily solved the issue so I can race on sunday. I unbolted the master and moved it to the side enough to get the breather on. I'm going to refrain from modifying the air horns. Breather is what it is. Not a fan of the socks. I had them on my SU's and hated the look. It's a race car but I still would like it to look clean. I'm most likely going to look into a willwood setup or other alternatives for the long haul.

I'll try and link more pics.

Guy's I am in need of info ASAP in regards to an issue I am having. I have a race on Sunday I am wanting to make. I bought a TGI air cleaner for my Mikuni's and it will not clear the rear air horn due to the master res. I have seen a larger single res setup on another car on this forum but can't locate it now. What one do I need and is it a direct swap???

Thanks for any info you can give me!!

just run a remote reservoir looks like there is room for that