My wife wants a WRX

Brenda has had an 1998 ACR Neon since new. It has been a great car but now at 183k miles, it is starting to show its age and reliability has become questionable. We loved the car as it was stripped down, manual everything, adjustable suspension, quick ration steering, close ratio gearbox, 4 wheed disk brakes, non abs. Perfect!

I can't build a VG30510 fast enough for her so...

We'd like to get her something new/newer.

First we looked at new cars:

Didn't even drive a Ford Focus because the back seat is so clostrophobic - we have two growing kids (9 & 12) - and they didn't have any manuals.

We drove an Elantra and it was okay but they didn't have any manuals and the factory wasn't offering them any more as they were all going to the GT. The car we drove was a used one owned by an employee.

We drove a new Impreza and it seemed like a granny car. Nothing to get enthused about at all.

Civics and Corrollas are uninspiring. New Mazdas are ugly.

We drove a Cruze and despite the dumb name, the car was actually pretty nice, and we can get a manual tranny. But all these cars are so heavy now, 3100lbs+. It destroyes the driving pleasure.

German cars are off the list due to high entry prices and maintenance bills...

Okay then, for the same money as a new entry level car, how about a used Infinity G35 sedan, Lexus IS300, or Subaru Impreza WRX or STi. The G35's look okay. We might go drive one just to know if we should keep it on the list or not. Same with the Lexus. But they are big V6 cruizers with crappy gas mileage and a lot of weight.

That brings us to Imprezas, maybe 2004-2007 range? WRX or even STi are possible.

Are these good cars? Will I be repairing them often? What do I need to look for? I'm sure many of you have or have friends that have them. I'd love your input. I went to a WRX forum and it's just information overload. Difficult to find any meaningful info.

What say you?

--carter

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had lots of friends with 05 STis and they liked them... not too many issues with things breaking or repairs. You didnt mention it, but since you said STi, have you looked at Evo VIIIs? They are about the same price, I found them more enjoyable to drive and looked better. Still AWD, turbo, four door, blah blah blah

If I had to pick another new car I would get another Evo. I owned one for awhile and only sold it because I moved across country and didnt want to take it with me. The engines are easy to build and very strong. They have been using the same engine since 1989 so you know its tried and true.

My coworker just bought a new 2012 WRX, its a fantastic car. I don't know much about the reliability or how nice they are to work on, but I do know subaru have a reputation like honda for reliability.

If you want speed, that thing is definitely quick, riding in it felt like it pulled harder in the midrange than the s2000 or 350z I've riden/driven in before.

Notice the gear ratio difference on the WRX and STI models, the STI are geared very close ratio 6 speed, the 5 speed in the WRX is nicer for the street. Test drive both maybe.

Two weeks ago my brother picked up a 2003 WRX legacy L with 180k miles, and it drives smooth and runs strong.

Only problem you may come accross is that most, if not all WRX's have been abused to some extent. A friend of mine is to Subaru's what we are to Datsuns and has taught me one thing:

When you go to buy one, check it carefully. Look for unnatural tire wear, broken or damaged engine mounts, and most importantly inspect the under carriage for scrapes, bends, and tears. I've come across Subies with perfect bodies that kids have taken off road and ripped to shreads.

With that said, Subaru's make great DD's. I wouldn't mind having a Legacy if I had the space/money for one.

Wasn't there a period of time where the headgaskets went bad on some Subarus? I was told a while back that you want to look at the Foresters that HAVE already had the headgaskets done, because they were known to fail. Being as they all share the same basic engine, I'd look into this more.

Wasn't there a period of time where the headgaskets went bad on some Subarus? I was told a while back that you want to look at the Foresters that HAVE already had the headgaskets done, because they were known to fail. Being as they all share the same basic engine, I'd look into this more.

The head gasket leak occurs in the 2.5L engines... that's the only thing i could look up about the engines being horrible...

Other than that... i would LOVE to have an STI as a DD, nice cars.

Here's a link to the head gasket problem - http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2119603/subaru-2-5-l-engine-the-worst-engine-ever

hope this helps :D

Had an MY02 WRX which I absolutely loved!

Now in the possession of my ex wife :(

Great cars, power, handling, brakes etc out of the box are fantastic !

Metal monkey basically summed it up as to what to look for.

If you do decide to buy one 2nd hand, make sure if it's done 100k plus kilometers ( I'll let you convert it to Miles) the cam belt has been replaced.

Only other issue with the earlier models was the drivetrain (gearbox mostly) didn't like to be thrashed off the line. Check if the clutch has been replaced as that's usually a sign of a hard life.

Easy to install an aftermarket boost control for a little more get up and go, though as I said, stock they are great IMLTHO.

They don't like to drink anything but high octane unleaded which is pretty much a necessity.

The STI's are even better still !

In summary, great car for a daily.

Neons, while not ever regarded as being "good" cars, were certainly fun in the right trim. I had a 99 2 door. DOHC, close ratio 5 speed. Put on ACR Koni adjustables, 4 wheel disc brakes and that little bastard could take any corner I could throw at it. Had an Iceman cold air, underdrive pulley, Mopar performance power ECM and a set of cams in it. I have had a hard time finding a little rocket that is as fun to drive as that neon.

Subaru's are good cars, but they aren't without their faults. Especially the WRX. As others have stated, they are prone to thrashing by po's so you want to check on that. When the turbo system gives you trouble prepare for it to get expensive, as Subies seem to get quite a premium for ALL of their replacement parts (even just brakes at napa, not just dealer stuff).

I have driven several WRX's, but if you really want a fast little car, grab up an 03-05 neon SRT-4..........they are getting inexpensive now and I see some REALLY nice ones out there. Yeah, they aren't AWD but them bastards have hop ups galore, and the chrysler 2.4 is a rockin, hard to beat little engine.

loved my dads 09 wrx way too fast for me,,,, pulled along side a 370z that was doing 190km/h(120 mph) .. hit the gas and left him standing still... stopped it at 240 km/h(150 mph) before i got too scared to push it anymore.

Boxer rumble...

STI!!

I LOVE the sound of the boxer engine!

Thanks for the comments so far.

We went to a few lots today. Sat in a couple IS250's and IS350. Nice cars. Super comfortable, but man are they huge (compared to our Neon and 510's anyway) Did't take one out as the lot was "short handed" until we looked at the new cars and then we got some more attention. They also had a 2008 Civic Si on the lot which has a really nice interior, but the dash, steering wheel, and shifter are pretty quirky. I still liked it 'till I got back outside and looked at the exterior again. Plus it is a Honda and even though it is probably really fun to drive, they just sound so dumb!!!

Let's see, what else. They had an Acura TL which we sat in but it was pretty worn inside. Along with lots of little scuffs and stains, there was blush on the headliner. Hmmm.... Wonder how that got there.

We will try to find a G35 and an Impreza or two later this week. I'll report back.

Just how bad is the real world gas mileage in a WRX and STI?

--carter

If a vg30 510 is too slow just make it a vg33et 510 B) . That should get her moving. I have nothing to add about subies, as far as dailies my GF's IS300 is a nice one. They can be had with a clutch too...

Just in case you were serious, I can't build one fast enough as in days-months-years, not mph! :P

The Lexus dealer said a manual tranny is pretty tough to come by as it is usually a special order item when a car is built. They are out there, but rare. For the Subarus, it seems most are manuals so it shoudl be easier to find a car to Brenda's liking.

G35 FTW!!!

That VQ has a beautiful sound. Pulls pretty good too! try to find a 6MT, some came with REVup engines.. which had their redline moved up a couple 100 RPM.

We're looking... Lots of manual coupes out there, but very few manual sedans, which is what we are after.

--carter

Neons, while not ever regarded as being "good" cars, were certainly fun in the right trim. I had a 99 2 door. DOHC, close ratio 5 speed. Put on ACR Koni adjustables, 4 wheel disc brakes and that little bastard could take any corner I could throw at it. Had an Iceman cold air, underdrive pulley, Mopar performance power ECM and a set of cams in it. I have had a hard time finding a little rocket that is as fun to drive as that neon.

Subaru's are good cars, but they aren't without their faults. Especially the WRX. As others have stated, they are prone to thrashing by po's so you want to check on that. When the turbo system gives you trouble prepare for it to get expensive, as Subies seem to get quite a premium for ALL of their replacement parts (even just brakes at napa, not just dealer stuff).

I have driven several WRX's, but if you really want a fast little car, grab up an 03-05 neon SRT-4..........they are getting inexpensive now and I see some REALLY nice ones out there. Yeah, they aren't AWD but them bastards have hop ups galore, and the chrysler 2.4 is a rockin, hard to beat little engine.

She loves her ACR. We wouldn't even be looking at an alternative if its reliability wasn't starting to become a question. But since we are looking, she wants to try something different. Not sure a Gen2 neon would suffice.

My brother use to have a 05 sti he bought it used with low miles at the time never had any engine problems. I drove it plenty of times it's a hell of car very fun but I'm not a big Subaru fan but I appreciate them for what they are. The only thing my brother had a problem with was a sensor I'll ask what one is was he got it changed like twice it would kill some of the power. After having it for almost 5 years he only put like 40k miles on it and, the 3rd time the sensor went out he decided to get rid of it since payment were kinda high and sensors and labor wasn't cheap.

The Sti aren't bad at all good on gas even with a heavy foot half the time, great car to blow some doors off. I say If you can find one with decent mileage or low mileage those are the better more tooken care of ones.

Ive had lots of friends with 05 STis and they liked them... not too many issues with things breaking or repairs. You didnt mention it, but since you said STi, have you looked at Evo VIIIs? They are about the same price, I found them more enjoyable to drive and looked better. Still AWD, turbo, four door, blah blah blah

If I had to pick another new car I would get another Evo. I owned one for awhile and only sold it because I moved across country and didnt want to take it with me. The engines are easy to build and very strong. They have been using the same engine since 1989 so you know its tried and true.

To each his own but I think the Misubishis are so homely looking! All dressed up in Evo trim masks the issues somewhat but the underlying homely car is still there. I understand there are some pretty cool varients out there, but not our cup of tea. I showed one to Brend and she just said "ewe - no"

subis are awesome it may not be a wrx but my subi goon, aside from some carb issues has been dead reliable the wrx is a great car and quick at that my only beef is the gears seem to short.

to all who like the "Boxer rumble" you do know that is because the exhaust has unequal runners right? thats where most of it comes from that and the odd firing order

Gas mileage on mine was ok from memeory.

Like any car and especially Turbo charged, if you buried the loud pedal, the fuel consumption went up.

To each their own, haven't owned an Evo but have been for a ride in an Eight which was a lot of fun.

Personally, don't think you can beat the Subaru for all the points I mentioned previously.

If seriously considering the STI try to get some seat time (couple hours) before buying. My brother has one and both of us can't stand the lumbar section of the seats. HARD AS A ROCK right into the lower back. Its seriously got him considering selling it.

Hmmm Your brother is considering selling, we are considering buying... Isn't that a good match? :poke: