L24 in a 510, whaaa?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's two cylinders longer so to keep the rad everything would have to move back that amount. The firewall would have to be cut etc. etc. Don't do it. They weigh a ton (crappy handling) , too long, you have to cut the car up. When done you will be disappointed and the car is ruined.

There are better, lighter, more powerful engines that will fit in easier.

well who cares about a 1995 Neon. If you beat him, there's a million other cars faster than you still.

Either buy a 280ZX turbo or do a KA24DE swap into your 510.

If you can't afford to buy either one of those then you just can't afford to have a moderately fast car.

Z motors are good for Z's they aren't really worth the time for the small amount of extra power they make. If you want to swap, look in to a KA/SR/VG.

If you are up agianst an SRT neon then good luck. Anything short of a SR turbo or KA turbo you aren't going to stand a chance...

I agree. My wife's '95 Neon (stock SOHC) is faster than my '70 240z (also completely stock). For the amount of work involved, you wouldn't be satisfied. Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go? There's always gonna be someone who's faster or quicker or stops shorter or corners better or has better paint or wheels. You already have a car that's cooler than most. Have you ever noticed how much more attention you get in it than your buddy's Neon? If you have your heart set on a swap, just about anything would be easier than a L-6. If you just want to go fast and handle terrible --- V-8. Nuff said.

I see srt neons every day, so what. Saw a 510 wagon last fall almost went off the road looking. I'd think about suspension/brake up-grades and out handle him. Maybe some modest power up-grades later. Enjoy your car, build it yourself, have fun doing it.

hah, i rally don't care about beating everything else on the road, the owner is just a buddy of mine who's completely full of himself and tells me that datsuns are shit everytime he get's the chance. and i'm getting sick of it, haha. a VG would be fun. but money money money. and his srt isn't even turboed. just feels helluh quick.

i suppose i've got one on him. i'm still RWD:fu:

• 1 month later...

Like others have suggested a KA24DE is your best bet for the 510. It'll give you the upgrade in power you're looking for without affecting the handling of the car. If the 2.4 liter DOHC isn't enough to satisfy you then throw a turbo on it. Then you won't be worrying about beating your friend's neon. You'll be worrying about getting traction lol!

hah, i rally don't care about beating everything else on the road, the owner is just a buddy of mine who's completely full of himself and tells me that datsuns are shit everytime he get's the chance. and i'm getting sick of it, haha. a VG would be fun. but money money money. and his srt isn't even turboed. just feels helluh quick.

i suppose i've got one on him. i'm still RWD:fu:

Ask your bud what he paid for it and how much insurance is and what parts cost and how easy is it to work on or fix it or if he has to go to the dealer for that.

Remember that great movie Sin City? where Mickey Rourke (Marv) says: "Modern cars - they all look like electric shavers." It's so true.

Park them side by side and watch who looks at them. I think you'll find that 'you' will get lots more comments than just another Neon. edakotaford, you're probably cooler, and don't even know it.

Vg30et end of srt gay. If you want to kick his ass and make him show a bit of respect do some minor suspension work and whop his azz in handling. It is some thing your car is naturally good at and his terrible at. Probably cheaper than any engine you could buy.

Another fan for not doing a L6 conversion. A guy I sold my old 510 shell put a L26 in it for a race car

NOTE: Pics not included in quote in the interest of good taste.

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

We need a vomit smilie.

My old friend Dick who I hang out with from time to time used to be a racer back in the day and he ran the str8 eight Buick motors. You could put that in and sit in the back seat:blink:

if your going to do it look up a guy i spokane at J&B welding he has(hes the pit part of a race team) a l26turbo in a dime alot of work but crazy fast olast time i saw it they were tring to dial in the boost. I a myself would do a ka swap but hey it yours

Go for the L24 ... it's not a direct bolt in. Need a cutter for the tunnel, and shortened driveshaft and all the little things that go with an engine swap.

The L-six has been fitted to Datsun 1200, it should fit into a 510 much easier.

Get something that fits so that when you're done messin' around with it and loose interest, someone else can use the car and won't have a carved up hunk of junk. L28 are common. One less won't matter. 510s are too valuable for this. There are just too many ways to fuck this up.

bahhahahahah. you guys are awesome. i think i'm going to just keep in an L for now. probably a KA later. but not yet. i'll throw an L20b with a dogleg, exhaust and 32/36. if i don't beat him, who cares. at least i'll be able to drift on dry pavement. hahahahaha

bahhahahahah. you guys are awesome. i think i'm going to just keep in an L for now. probably a KA later. but not yet. i'll throw an L20b with a dogleg, exhaust and 32/36. if i don't beat him, who cares. at least i'll be able to drift on dry pavement. hahahahaha

Excellent! :D