Preferred Brake Pads

Tristin

Currently running unknown brake pads at the moment and I hate them. I purchased a full 280zx strut swap awhile back and have been running whatever pads the previous own bought. They were brand new a few months ago and seem to function decently-ish, but I feel I have an abnormal amount of brake dust. My front wheels are just covered in the stuff. Not only do my wheels look like shit, but I'm sure so much dust only means the brakes are wearing quickly.

So my question: what is everyone's preferred brake pad? Not looking for the Walmart special $8/box pads, but don't need to spend $150/box either. I have no power on an L16 auto so I go barely fast enough to even use brakes. I don't autocross the car and I'm not in stop-and-go traffic for long periods.

Suggestions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good chance you got organics. They stop good, but they wear quickly and create a ton of dust.

I would use ceramics. They stop more like organics and wear like semi-metallics......plus, my understanding is, the static charge on the dust is opposite(of other pads) or not there, so the wheels don't get anywhere near as much dust on them.

• Like 1

Good question. I installed Maxima struts/brakes on new rotors but don't have any dust. Course I don't drive it daily much but did go about 1,400 miles on the Canby trip. Maybe 2,000 to 2,500 miles since I installed them last summer. Hand polished the rims for Canby and they were clean just dull (aluminum)

Cheapest pads were about $30 IIRC but opted for the $50 ones.

Wash your car more often??? :lol:

Well, I'm new to Datsuns, but not cars in general so I'm 90% certain I have excessive dust. I would bet that they are the cheapest available and it's the main contributor.

I was mainly curious if there was a good recognized brand that complimented the 510/280zx setup for daily use.

Wash your car more often??? :lol:

This could be a small part of it too, as I always say if I wash my car it will fall apart. All that 40yrs of dirt and grime are holding it together.

The good thing about organics and semi metallics is if you stay on top if them ----the pads wear and your rotors dont--- which is way cheaper in the long run,..

....it is caused by you driving that thing everyday in that damn freeway stop and go traffic , so every car in those conditions end up like yours.. no matter what pads you end up using...Most people on here have other newer cars they cycle in ( well except for the hippie on the bike ) and alot of the ones that dont haven`t washed their car/truck in ....YEARS.. so they dont care..lol

• Like 1

on my zx's im running a raybestos semi metallic, almost no dust. that being said i slow down with the gears more than the brakes

^ Yeah I use the Raysbestos Professional Grade Plus on all my stuff ( its local and usually available )

Kinda expensive sometimes for what they are ..

The way I drive ... They last a long time .. I use exhaust braking and "drag back" when driving. I never ride my brakes (obviously I'm not a woman Bahahahahaha I'm not sorry !!!!)

I don't see a "lot" of dust There is a significant enough amount especially after towing a few things lol.

Sounds like these other pads mentioned are def worth trying !!!

Organics just simply don't agree with me lol .