need help in washington state with my 521

No power it seems like, my battery has power but ill turn the key and my ignition or oil light doesnt turn on. I changed the battery cables but still nothing at all. The other day I was driving along about 50 maybe and my truck sputterd and shut off when I came to a stop it would crank over but wouldn't start then nothing started to happen didn't even turn over.. some please help.

Oh and 1971 521

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, clean your battery cables.

Then clean the fusebox contacts, and check all the fuses. The glass fuses have a nasty habit of looking good, and being bad.

Cleaning the cables means cleaning the BATTERY TERMINALs. Scrape them down to bare shiny metal, and do the same for the inside of the cable ends. That will fix it right up.

Do the above yourself. You don't need help yet.

I have new cables and before I put them on I cleaned the battery termals. I didn't clean the bolt on the stater connecting the stater to the battery itself if that matters?

Yes the starter end and the one on the side of the head where the negative cable is bolted. You should also have a ground wire to the body sheet metal.

I suspect it's most likely the fuse box or fuse clips not making good contact to the fuses. Check that the voltage regulator is also firmly bolted down.

Turn your headlight switch on and start wiggling fuse box terminals/wires and fuses, but mostly the terminals till the headlights come on.

Check and replace fuses with an ohm meter.

40+ year old fuse boxes don't work like new anymore, I lose my headlights if I use my brights, and then I have to stop and wiggle the wires till they come back on, this is not something new, it is likely a corroded terminal connections.

On my 52`1 there is a white wire I believe that should hook up to the positive side battery cable. I buy the cable with the in line splice tapped of the end. This will feed the fuse box.

Ck this first. If lights come ON then its at least feeding the fuse box

Then see if starter motoer turns over.

See if oil light ,alt light coem on

If yes then ck the voltage(Buy a volt meter) at the white ballast resisitor and should have 12volt and maybe 6-9 volts at the coil with key ON.

kevin

go to olddatsun.com and read the tech section

buy tools

If this is your only rig buy another as this will break down again they 40years old. But so EZ to work on if you know what your doing.

Great color.

All the 521 engines came from Japan. But during the 1980s they sent over container loads of used engines, that's probably what the old man was referring to. I'm running one of those 'good used' engine now, it came with a RHD carburetor and emission-less intake manifold which I still have in the garage.

ck the connections at the fuse box for the running lights.

Ck the connections at the coil and ballast resisitor. Make sure they tight.

Learn how to adjust the points. Dont buy a new coil or anything. Its good they way it is.

reverse light is from the tranny switch, should be 2 wires from tranny and 2 from the truck ruted underneath. if trans has been pulled Im sure most time the wires are not hooked up. Mine are not.

Could my problem to begain with have been because of my alternateur?? I mean It really wasn't used for 20 plus years and with a hud that wasn't so shut.

But I put a new one on anyways lol.

ck the connections at the fuse box for the running lights.

Ck the connections at the coil and ballast resisitor. Make sure they tight.

Learn how to adjust the points. Dont buy a new coil or anything. Its good they way it is.

reverse light is from the tranny switch, should be 2 wires from tranny and 2 from the truck ruted underneath. if trans has been pulled Im sure most time the wires are not hooked up. Mine are not.

My tranny has two i think maybe three swiths. and yeah wires are not hooked up. Ill put up a picture..