Welders..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that older model, i think the hd3200 or something. Has been running strong for 8 or so years now. Its simple and gets the job done.

Although I also have a Thermal Arc 185 tig now too. But I still use the mig for my car since it can weld in tight spots and angles better than the tig.

I also have an oxy-acetylene. Props to people who can weld with that! That is going up for sale soon.

hah, the only thing i used it for was to braise aluminum. Besides that, it just sits in the corner of my garage. I'm not cutting through any thick steal, so don't know what else i would use it for? I think its getting bored and jealous of all the other tools in the garage being used.

Tada! Just need to pick up a helmet and a few other things, and bring home some scrap metal from work. Then I will be on my way to learning to weld.

WP_000024.jpg

Looks good man Oh and btw i musta yelled at you 3 times at canby as you drove right by us with you nose turned up like a Z car owner LMAO!!! next time your down around my area swing by i'll give ya some pointers and let ya touch a real welder ha ha ha

Looks good man Oh and btw i musta yelled at you 3 times at canby as you drove right by us with you nose turned up like a Z car owner LMAO!!! next time your down around my area swing by i'll give ya some pointers and let ya touch a real welder ha ha ha

Really? Was your wagon at Canby? I am only so familiar with faces, but I know a car from a half mile! Sorry about that. Some pointers would be good. I am usually a quick learner, and I can learn just as quickly from watching to reading. Not sure how soon I will touch this welder, but I have the itch to learn.

Really? Was your wagon at Canby? I am only so familiar with faces, but I know a car from a half mile! Sorry about that. Some pointers would be good. I am usually a quick learner, and I can learn just as quickly from watching to reading. Not sure how soon I will touch this welder, but I have the itch to learn.

If you have the time, take a class on welding, it will help you a lot on the setup procedures, which are everything when it comes to welding.

No I sold my wagon we brought the 521 we have been working on. With that welder if ya want it to preform as good as possible run the smaller diameter wire in it 0.23 prolly 0.30 max with 75/25 gas. Use a dedicated 110v outlet, and if ya gotta use a extension cord use the shortest, biggest guage one you can get. If you need to weld anything you really want to penetrate, a good quality innershield wire works well for 110v machines In all positions

It already has .23 wire on it, almost a full spool. And the tank seems pretty full, and it is 75/25.

I know I have lots to learn. I did research on the welders themselves before buying one.

Had no idea you sold the wagon. I did see the 521, and I guess it crossed my mind if you were there...

Yeah don't get frustrated when you start burning holes through datto sheetmetal ...... ... you need to clean both sides to bare metal,,,, no undercoating

You will also burn holes if you don't let the metal cool between tack welds ..... ... good to have plenty of welds to be working on far apart from eacother

You don't need a helmet to put a kingcab together, you just tack/spot weld everything together, aim, close your eyes, pull the trigger briefly, open your eyes, move 4 inches and repeat. :lol:

I have done two of them now, and the frist was done with a cheap harbor freight mig welder using flux core wire, the second was done with an expensive welder, can't really tell the differance, and still have both of them welders.

I have a small bottle on my rig too... why is it necessary to get a bigger one?

I weld with this, though my dad has two Millers, This is fine though. Just welded my seats and some random things.

784261ad.jpg

I shoot this with a .22, it's held up.. I think I left it outside... lol...

Those holes are from a pick hammer thing, i wanted to make sure the welds were good so i whacked it as hard as i could. :lol:

6dd8da76.jpg

fbfb32b0.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have a small bottle on my rig too... why is it necessary to get a bigger one?

I weld with this, though my dad has two Millers, This is fine though. Just welded my seats and some random things.

784261ad.jpg

I shoot this with a .22, it's held up.. I think I left it outside... lol...

Those holes are from a pick hammer thing, i wanted to make sure the welds were good so i whacked it as hard as i could. :lol:

6dd8da76.jpg

fbfb32b0.jpg

those will hold, but those are no whewre near good, you are welding too cold and too fast....
  • 1 month later...

hey guys so there are a lot of terrible welds on this project i picked up and i need a welder to fix them because they are truly disgusting. would something like a "Century AC welder. 230 amp model 110-110" work? no idea what those numbers mean because i will still have to teach myself how to weld and what not. i will need it for chassis reinforcement and for a little body work also. thanks

The 110 -110 model is misleading? Seems like a 220 volt stick welder???

You can get some really cheap 110 volt MIG welders. Stick welders are a bother to weld with and a MIG is both easier and more comfortable to use so you can learn to use it faster than a stick. I find that I do so little welding that I pretty much have to almost re-learn how to weld every time I use it. I have a 220 volt MIG welder now and it's hard to make a bad weld with it. It can be dialed back to tack sheet metal (try that with a stick) and enough punch to weld 1/4" or 3/8" tick (and there's not much on a vehicle that needs that much)

http://www.dodgepowe...lovebox/mig.php

"would something like a "Century AC welder. 230 amp model 110-110" work?"

That sounds like a AC Arc welder, not a MIG welder. Mig welders need DC current, not AC. Can you take a picture of it?

When welding sheet metal, if possible, back up the weld area with a piece of copper. Even a piece of copper water pipe, flattened will work.

I am also going to suggest you check out a welding class at a local community college. your taxes are paying for community colleges, may as well get a benefit from that.