[RANT] Who listens to Hip Hop? That underground sound...

what the hell has happened?!

I just DL'd the new El-P "Cancer for Cure" (I buy what's good, but sample first) so far it's weak as f#ck! I read a bunch of people jocking it, saying it's like "Fun Crusher" but so far it's more of that indie nerd fantasy rap BS that Def Jux has been putting out for a few years now.

Ohhhh wait.... whats this? As I'm typing some good shit just came out my head phones... ooooo it's a hard beat.... Tougher Colder is the track... okay this track is sick so far.

I'll reserve judgment but I'm sick of all this weak shit. All my favorite rappers have put out some weak shit for a while so I hope El-P can come through.

The last Cage album is straight up emo puss shit with a guy rhyming over some 80's keyboard synth tracks.

Sage's last album has a few good tracks but he definitely gets into some weird stuff, it's like folk music rap some times.

Aesop Rock hasn't had an album in like 5 years....

Del sounds hella tired and is trying to re-live Both Sides of the Brain, he ran out of music after 3030.

Lyrics Born latest is.... I don't know, it's just not good.... too much time digging up old funk samples or something, idk....

Buck 65, was one of my favorite rappers.... but the guy is not hip hop at all anymore, shame because he did some sick shit. Dude use to scratch, mix and rap all at the same time during his shows. Now he wears fluffy shirts and plays a guitar....

I mean don't get me wrong there is still some good shit out there, Danny Brown and Black Milk's "Black and Brown" is dope, Ill'n Spree "Epidemic" is some golden era beats and rhymes that bring you back, Blacastan's "Master Builder " has some tight tracks. KNO is still producing good music, RJD2 has put it down with Icebird and "The Abandoned Lullaby" , Esoteric's "Fly Casualities" has one of the sickest beats on track "Herioc Future".... But there's the problem RJ is like half hip hop producer half indie rock, Eso's last album is just new beats and recycled rhymes even Blacastan's sound is like the early days of Rawkus...

Arghh maybe I'm just getting old and hanging on to the old ways, lol.

Well now that my rant is over any other hip hoppers feeling the same?

• Like 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I havent heard of a single one of those people.

Wow really? Those are all "main stream: in the underground hip hop world. I guess it all comes down to what kind of music you grew up with...

Link samples or good and bad examples?

Links... try ughh.com and search out Aesop Rock, RJD2, Sage Francis, Epidemic, KNO, EL-P, Blockhead.... most of it will be great stuff, it's just newer stuff that blows. You can check out samples on the site. You can dig into other artists by looking at the similar artist links

Blockhead is a good "intrp" into underground hip hop for those that do not listen to hip hop already.

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/blockhead-the-music-scene/ZEN149LP/

So is RJD2

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/rjd2-deadringer-re-issue/DJX035LP/

Burn 'em all. WTF next? Sandals and socks???? Pink shirts?? Manbags???

Seriously!

in general rap and hip hop is crap there are a few select songs i will listen to but 99% of it just annoys me listen to some real music

To each his own. I feel the same way about all other music. I do like some metal bands, I've been going to Slayer every year for like 15 years, old Metallica, Morbid Angel, Pantera...

Dam aesop rock? Its been a minute since i heard that name. Ima bboy at heart and always will be so im stuck with REAL hiphop compared to shit rap music of today. Tech nine is back freestyling and battle rapping, not hearing anything from atmosphere for a while, del is more with the gorillaz now with a new album soon, theres probably more im missing but seems the last real hiphop group was Jurrassic 5 after they broke up no one has really filled the spot, so now ill just keep listening to pharcyde,wutang,nice&smooth and lupe among others. Everyone wqnts to talk about how much more bitches,money,drugs, and cars i got than you than actually making lyrics make sense.along with a meaning and a message *cough*wacka*cough*. Heroglyphics barely exist before the souls of mischief..... Most people dont even know the 4 elements jss sayin.

Dam aesop rock? Its been a minute since i heard that name. Ima bboy at heart and always will be so im stuck with REAL hiphop compared to shit rap music of today. Tech nine is back freestyling and battle rapping, not hearing anything from atmosphere for a while, del is more with the gorillaz now with a new album soon, theres probably more im missing but seems the last real hiphop group was Jurrassic 5 after they broke up no one has really filled the spot, so now ill just keep listening to pharcyde,wutang,nice&smooth and lupe among others. Everyone wqnts to talk about how much more bitches,money,drugs, and cars i got than you than actually making lyrics make sense.along with a meaning and a message *cough*wacka*cough*. Heroglyphics barely exist before the souls of mischief..... Most people dont even know the 4 elements jss sayin.

There you go! Shiiiiit Heiro, remember how dope 3rd Eye Vision was? Oakland Blackouts... damn that brings back memories. I'll still check out Del's new stuff, No Need For Alarm was my first "underground" album I had when I was a kid. lol, I still call women that are full of drama Bobo heads sometimes, nobody gets it but like on of my boys....

Check out Epidemic's Illn Spree

http://www.undergrou...pree/EPD11ISCD/

http://youtu.be/avB4SD3RZgk

http://youtu.be/-c964c0T1wA

Wow really? Those are all "main stream: in the underground hip hop world. I guess it all comes down to what kind of music you grew up with...

Underground (hip hop) and main stream are mutually exclusive words. Five speed swaps are mainstream to the underground Datsun movement. Can't expect a Chevy owner to 'get it' can you?

My parents had Perry Como and Al Martino. I grew up with Rock 'n Roll from mid '50s on. You find what you like and run with it. Some newer stuff may strike a cord (pun intended) and you may enjoy it. Most of the stuff posted in Insomniacs is merely noise. Where the fuck is Figbuck? Country is so pathetic.... it's funny and sometimes interesting, but mostly funny. Yelling vulgar lyrics (c-rap) isn't even music.

I remember when murs, atmosphere and aesop rock used to roll hard together for awhile but murs n atmosphere are doing FELT shit but who knows now. Honestly Lupe Fiasco is filling the gap for me until although Lasers had some bullshit on it due to atlantic fags removing shining down, bmf, and fucking beamin but he's always in n out the spotlight. His new mixtape friend of the people is pretty dope and "double burger" is my favorite song from him currently. Theres a few up n comings for the underground like jonathan evans, iron solomon finally making good beats and gentlemens chess club which is nerd/lupe/asheroth.

Underground (hip hop) and main stream are mutually exclusive words. Five speed swaps are mainstream to the underground Datsun movement. Can't expect a Chevy owner to 'get it' can you?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say there.

The stuff on the radio doesn't represent hip hop in any way what most people would call hip hop, those into hip hop that is.

I remember when murs, atmosphere and aesop rock used to roll hard together for awhile but murs n atmosphere are doing FELT shit but who knows now. Honestly Lupe Fiasco is filling the gap for me until although Lasers had some bullshit on it due to atlantic fags removing shining down, bmf, and fucking beamin but he's always in n out the spotlight. His new mixtape friend of the people is pretty dope and "double burger" is my favorite song from him currently. Theres a few up n comings for the underground like jonathan evans, iron solomon finally making good beats and gentlemens chess club which is nerd/lupe/asheroth.

I never liked Murs for some reason. Christina Ricci was cool but I've just never been into it. Atmosphere was the best on Overcast, for me after Sevens Travels that was kinda it.

I'll have to check those guys out you posted.

Koncept is not a new MC per se but has a pretty recent album out that's good.

Nice video. I haven't heard this before. For awhile I was so sick of the stuff that was out I was only listening to Blockhead, KNO, RJD2, Thavis Beck... mostly "instrumentals"

I use to be a breaker, yeah breaker, before it was all about up rocking and stalls, rocking my shell toes and ti suit.... old days.

Not a fan of Hip Hop but there are very few

I like, I grew up listening to gangster rap, rock, industrial, techno stuff like that. My family being Mexican I had to listen to the Mexican music but I never liked it, it was more annoying than good. I listen to a lot of different genres but if I was to say what I listen to now, West Coast rap (old stuff), a few new west hip hop, industrial, drum & bass, some metal like melodic death metal some

Thrash, punk, Alternative rock, some Latino music.

I dig on most music ever made except for maybe the serious death-core, noise-metal, crap-rap, and teenie-bopper shit, I would say country also, but Patsy Cline & Johnny Cash have country influences and are both excellent. When it comes to hip-hop, Old school early 90's rap was fun because I was 15 and it was 'shocking' These days it is hard to beat Rhymesayers artists. Admitting to not keeping up with the scene these are some of the best from them and funny enough are 'played out' by followers.