Tailgate Font ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several different fonts used by Nissan. It all depends on what year you're looking for. I had CreepyCruiser make me a bitchin' tailgate vinyl sticker for my Datsun hardbody. I'd pm him for more information. They're patterned after an '81ish 720 tailgate logo. Holding up very nice, he had a few extra too.

datsund21.jpg

Okay, how can I politely describe this? Nissan made the font lettering before there were computers. As you might imagine, this means type-setting and hand lettering. In other words, characters that do not fit a particular "font." The awesomely talented person who made my tailgate decal had to incorporate different aspects of 3 types of fonts to get the correct lettering on my tailgate patterned after the font of a 1980s 720 gate, which is distinctly different from the 70s 620 'gates.

There is no "original Datsun tailgate lettering font."

The more I try and get on Ratsun and ask questions I find that you guys are a bunch of young stupid punks - I know there wasn't a Datsun Font ! But also know that there are hundreds of fonts that were established way before computer. I give up you guy just don't get it ! You can't think out of the box, and you really think you are all experts - I think you are just a bunch of smartass punks - LIke I said I give up !

- I know there wasn't a Datsun Font ! !

I would assume Datsun didn't even complete the alpabet with the tailgate lettering.

If you know there isn't a font, then why are you suprised at the answers you got? :confused:

I find that you guys are a bunch of young stupid punks

I didnt think Datsun Mike was that young myself.... :devil: :rofl: But on the other hand I would recommend you find some thicker skin, so I will take you by the hand and point you in the right direction. HRH tried to explain that there is 3 different kinds of fonts to get it right. So instead of fussing, how about asking HRH to find out the 3 types and what letter of each?

It looks like a variant of Helvetica or Univers. Helvetica was extremely popular in the late 50's and is considered a mainstay of display fonts today as is Univers. There's a great movie on Netflix about it (no kidding).

Something to think about is that a lot of designers will begin with something like Helvetica Black and then push and pull it a bit to make it fit their needs. It's true that when they did the work there wasn't computers but the wheels fall off that argument quickly because there have been fonts, and signage for that matter, for centuries before there were computers. Just because there wasn't a computer involved doesn't mean it didn't start with a standardized font.

So, essentially, it may be easier to take a tailgate to a sign shop, have them shoot a pic of it and create a vectorized version for the vinyl cutter.

Attached is a sample of Univers and Helvetica I whacked together in Photoshop. Hope this helps.

datsun_font.jpg

• Like 1

The more I try and get on Ratsun and ask questions I find that you guys are a bunch of young stupid punks - I know there wasn't a Datsun Font ! But also know that there are hundreds of fonts that were established way before computer. I give up you guy just don't get it ! You can't think out of the box, and you really think you are all experts - I think you are just a bunch of smartass punks - LIke I said I give up !

not everyone here is that way...hence why I called the person that made the smartass font comment a troll. Before someone made that comment, there was one person that suggested a similar font, and another person that suggested someone who was able to almost perfectly match the datsun logo by combining three fonts.

You can get mad at everyone, or post a picture of what you are trying to match and I can go through and hunt through the fonts I have and see if I can match it if the above suggestions will not work.

Remember the Ratsun crowd is very diverse. Along with plenty of old school tuners, there are reserved polite people, young tuners, and yes...some punks....but the whole world is that way now. Try to ignore the idiots, and don't get bent out of shape, that is what they want...they want someone to get upset...so, deprive them of the attention they seek, and ignore it, and look at the constructive answers.

Oh yeah, and HRH was explaining the font stuff to the smartass that posted above my post, not to you. HRH was one of the people that tried to give you a helpful idea before the thread was derailed by a troll train.

Did you even take a look at the link i gave you in POST#4..??

If your going to be a ________ and start calling people names ..you should at least read through your own thread first.

And that was after you acted childish ( like a punk ) to the first person that gave you help but was mistaken about what you wanted..

Remember typing this ??,,,,,,Ok let me try this again - I am not looking for replacement letters - Looking for the Name of the Font - but thanks

Sarcasm has it`s place but being rude to the first guy for trying to help seems to be counter productive ,,,don`t you think..

Oh,,,,and .,,,Your welcome

• Like 1

Spades is correct I was responding to the rather trollish post above his. Anyway take a picture with a ruler marking the letters and a good sign guy should be able to reproduce a logo for you that is pretty close.

THREAD JACK!!!! cuz this thread is boring. I'm making vinyl reproductions of the Datsun 620/521 tailgate letters. Used a very accurate template of the OEM letters. Available in whatever color your twisted minds can imagine... maybe. So no more crying and/or masturbating. Just fork over some $$$ and I'll make it all better :D

• Like 2

Well here is what I am going to do - this is why I don't need vinyl - I am cutting up a tailgate and going to reproduce the D to an R and make it say RATSUN and need a template to start with. I was looking for the name of the font tht is used - or close so I could print it and cut and paste with paper before I reproduce it with Steel and weld it into the tailgate. I was looking for an answer not a bunch of smart ass crap - and i am sorry to assume everyone is that way - when someone asks me a question I try and give them as much correct information as I can and be helpful. i don't have time for a bunch of crap from smart asses. So thank you for the ones that where helping and Kiss my butt if your were being a smart ass. I will figure it out and post pictures when I am done - Again my skin is thicker most - well except Rubbermans because his is rubber. And as for masturbating well - I'm blind in one eye and have had elbow replacements put in both arms - Money is not a problem for me as I have worked for a living for some time now - I was retired the first time before some of you were born. I don't cry got over that long time ago.

But for those who were trying to help Thanks Again !

If it were me:

1. Take a hi-rez photo of the tailgate.

2. Import it into PS.

3. Manipulate tailgaite photo until you have a suitable "DATSUN."

4. Manipulate the "DATSUN" until you have suitable "RATSUN."

5. Export to AI.

6. Use AI to vectorize.

7. Print out vector at whatever size you need.

8. Cut out letters.

9. ?????

10. Profit.

• Like 1

typical comment from west of the mississippi, ASSHAT!

I thought you were being a smartass troll and called you out on it...if that makes a typical west coaster or an asshat, I am guilty.

P.S. You are still a troll it would seem. Emotional profane response...denied. Go crawl back under your bridge and wait for the next sucker.