Deflated today....lost a 73 620

Yesterday I see a 73 620 on CL in Medford, OR. I call the guy and arrange to go see it this morning. It's nice, exceptionaly clean under hood, almost perfectly straight body, weber carb, etc.

So, we make a deal, agree on a price, agree to meet tomorrow to swap the $$ and truck/title (no banks open today on Sunday) and shake hands.

I come back home and sell my 79 620 to my son.

Then, a couple hours later he calls to let me know he sold it to someone else.....!%. What a dishonest person. Is there no honor in the world today? He said some "broker" came by and bought it.

This was the CL ad so you might see it around So. Oregon. Well, I'll keep looking for a 521 or 620. There's always tomorrow.

1972 Datsun 1600 - $2200 (Medford)

Date: 2012-04-14, 3:01PM PDT

Reply to: [Errors when replying to ads?]

1972 datsun 1600 pickup 4 speed This truck is super clean. Has new starter. New voltage regulator. New fuse panel. Truck runs excellent. Tires in good shape. Floor panels are solid. No rust. Bed is in excellent shape. Am radio still plays. Heater and defroster work. 2200.00 call Rocky. 541-

5I75N65Gf3Ke3Ia3Jac4e752e368f9307123f.jpg

5Ha5M75Jf3F63J93Nbc4e1b79ea66d5f81e86.jpg

5L45Nf5H23Gf3L33N9c4e25a86fbc8b4e1869.jpg

5Na5I75M43K33Ia3N1c4e16763a3359f01ea1.jpg

5I75N65Gf3Ke3Ia3Jac4e752e368f9307123f.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always tell buyers that it's not "theirs" until they pay. But I am up front with that- I don't tell anyone it's theirs, I'll hold it 'till tomorrow. Because I won't. I've held way too many things for people only to have them, a month later, say "oh, I found something else, sorry".

That's messed up, he never should have given you a handshake on it. A handshake is a gentleman deal and he should have honored it. I personally don't promise anything too anyone on Craigslist unless they have cash in hand. I do however tell people that someone is on the way to look at the item and will let them know it is still available if the person does not buy or show up. I do this because of tons of flakes out here in the DFW.

He probably needed the money real bad but that is still no excuse to flake out on a handshake. I would feel a little relieved because it shows his character and who knows what kind of truck you are going to buy from a shoddy person. Sure it may have run decent when you went to look it over but who knows if he made some Mickey Mouse fixes to get it temporarily going.

That's kind of messed up. But, that's what deposits are for.

Whenever I buy anything, I flat out say I'm buying it and give a specific date when they'll have their money. Sometimes they offer for you to take it now (super trusting people such as friends, etc) - and I refuse until I have the money. It is rotten that you make arrangements only to have something sold out from under you.

I would definitely have cash-in-hand next time. Prevents things like this from happening.

On the flip side there are also buyers who will make higher offers to sellers even after they know the seller has already arranged to sell at the asking price (or lower) to someone else. This, too, is pretty big BS, and there are plenty of people who do it (some people here on ratsun).

So, here's how it turned out. See I've actually always wanted to get a 521 like the green one we had when I was a kid. My Dad bought in from the Long Beach dealer in 71. Here's a picture of it in 73. (Ignore the funny kids).

BillyBobbyThresaRice1972.jpg

Then, my Dad gives it to me when I'm 18. I overhauled it and loved it. We ended up in Michigan and the truck ended up getting hauled to a scrapyard in 1990. I've wanted one ever since. Then a couple years ago while searching for a 521, I find the PLG222, PLG223 and bought the 77 280Z, 81 510 and last month I bought the 79 620.

1960and1962-2.jpg

79-620-5.jpg

280Z-1-reduced.jpg

So, I really wanted the 73 620 I found last Sunday so I could sell the 79 620 to my son. But, the guy flaked out.

Then, Monday I call on a CL ad for a "69 Datsun" about 45 minutes away. I'm thinking it's probably junk but I call anyway. Well, long story short, here's what I came home with on Monday.

IMG00079.jpg

P1070732.jpg

P1070736-1.jpg

521RWR-1-1.jpg

The body is perfect. No dents or scratches with one minor exception on the front fender. 78,000 original miles. I bring it home, put on new plugs/wires, prime the fuel pump and voila, she fires up and purrs like a kitten. OMG am I stoked. Oh, and it was bought original at the Long Beach dealer just like my original one.

What a perfect day. Mr. flake can keep his 73 620.

no shit, same here in TX. middle america only like American classics and most give a rats ass about vintage imports.

I see datsuns all the time available. I've got my eye on a purple 620 king cab, if they will sell.

As for what happened.. It sucks but cash talks, I've had too many buyers on things burn me to not take cash now.

Awesome story!

I love it when you see something you want, but for whatever reason it doesn't work out... So, you're bummed for a little while, until...

Something much better comes along!

Call it fate, karma, whatever... I believe that sometimes things happen for a reason, and just cause you don't get something you originally wanted, you might end up with something better. Or maybe I just try to see the up-side of things.

But still, the new truck looks great... It even looks like the same colour as the one your dad had. :thumbup: Good on ya.