My 510 tails LED BRIGHT!

LEDs  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like?

• Yes
    • No

:ON CAR PICTURES FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD:

Well ive been working with LEDs for awhile now but never got a chance to work on my own stuff much. I have just about got every light on my 510 converted over to LEDs and this is one of my major projects compared to the others ive done to the car so far. i am pretty pleased with the design and how they look but they are still in proto-type form. Ill get some night time pictures when it gets dark out but they are plenty bright day or night.

Here are some current pics and i hope you enjoy.

This is the Turn signal and the tails lit up:

IMG_2242.jpg

This is the Brake lights lit up:

IMG_2239.jpg

This is Just the turn lit up:

IMG_2243.jpg

This is just the Tail light section lit up:

IMG_2240.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome work!

I have been wanting to do this on my Datsuns too. I had all sorts of ideas to eliminate all the 70's circuitry and have a microcontroller do all the thinking for the LED output. The possibilities are truly endless.

BTW, are all of your LEDs individually controllable, or maybe certain rows or segments? Did you have a PCB designed to hold all the LEDs?

the setup is super simple and i wanted to be able to use the stock wires that were connected to the bulbs. basically there are 3 different "sections" (1. the tail/running lights are the 2 lit up strips in the bottom picture. so when you turn your lights on that is what you will see. (2. when you step on the brakes the other 3 strips light up along with the 2 that are already lit. (3. the turn signal is just the outside edge so when you are on the brakes or not on the brakes the outside will flash independently from everything else.

i didnt use any sort of controller or pcb boards because i wanted to keep it simple. like i said this is still what i would call a prototype because the more i do things the more i find better/cleaner ways to make things work. the inner metal trim piece kind of blocks the upper part of the turn signal which bothers me but the only way i could get away from that would be to get rid of that inner trim piece and i dont think im going to do that. i have not been able to get these into a car yet and test them because my car is still in pieces but as soon as i do i will know more about how the turns will act (im assuming they will be fast blinking like all other LED turns do).

i used to do this stuff for a living and i have done countless makes and models but this is the first datsun stuff ive done and the tails are by far the easiest ive ever work on.

pretty cool idea. now put them on your car and have someone follow you. tell us how many times they have to break hard.

They look like the same brightness between "parking" and stopping. I know more come on...but I dont think they are bright enough.

cool idea though!

the setup is super simple and i wanted to be able to use the stock wires that were connected to the bulbs. basically there are 3 different "sections" (1. the tail/running lights are the 2 lit up strips in the bottom picture. so when you turn your lights on that is what you will see. (2. when you step on the brakes the other 3 strips light up along with the 2 that are already lit. (3. the turn signal is just the outside edge so when you are on the brakes or not on the brakes the outside will flash independently from everything else.

i didnt use any sort of controller or pcb boards because i wanted to keep it simple. like i said this is still what i would call a prototype because the more i do things the more i find better/cleaner ways to make things work. the inner metal trim piece kind of blocks the upper part of the turn signal which bothers me but the only way i could get away from that would be to get rid of that inner trim piece and i dont think im going to do that. i have not been able to get these into a car yet and test them because my car is still in pieces but as soon as i do i will know more about how the turns will act (im assuming they will be fast blinking like all other LED turns do).

i used to do this stuff for a living and i have done countless makes and models but this is the first datsun stuff ive done and the tails are by far the easiest ive ever work on.

Super cool any way you do it. You have re-inspired my old project idea! LEDs are the shit.

Good work

I want to see a further away pic.

I am scared this looks like all those aftermarket taillights for other cars that use Leds, It just looks a tad silly to me.

Note, I am not passing any judgement on these till I see it on the car. But I generally like LEDs, and have been known to by them in hundreds on ebay...

played around with these again today and checked my power inverter and its only pumping out 9.5volts. i think they are more than bright enough like i said earlier but i cant wait to see them at 12v. here is what i came up with none the less.

i think i got a pic of every combo you can have just to show everything but i dont want to over load this with huge pictures.

Turns:

IMG_20120404_202753.jpg

Brake:

IMG_20120404_202721.jpg

Tails/Running:

IMG_20120404_203007.jpg

OVERLOAD!!! :)

IMG_20120404_202701.jpg

technically i can wire them however i want but i have had this design in my head for a long time now and i love it!! it wouldnt take much to make full blocks light up or not light up.

basically i just wanted to do something a little different and still keep it stock looking when the lights are off.

there are leds in every inch of this light except the reflector and the reverse light(for now) so combinations a pretty endless almost :)

• 1 month later...

i used 202smd's per light and im really not sure how to figure out the mcd rating. i did look it up but it seemed like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me..... i did get them all wired into the car properly and i was pleases to find out that they work exactly how they are suppose to. they even flash at completely normal speeds. 110% happy with how they turned out!!